Not my rough day...

Ok, so my gf's ex bf was tased and bitten by the po-po of New Castle County, DE... I just thought I'd share the news articles bout this one... kinda comical and kinda sad. On the other side, maybe he will stop calling her:)

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=...&id=5908844

http://cbs3.com/delawarewire/22.0.html?typ...E--WrongMan.xml

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dl...3/NEWS/80123015

THIS IS THE GUY WHO ACTUALLY 'Allegedly' COMMITTED THE CRIMES...

http://sexoffender.dsp.delaware.gov/cgi-bi.../d?opt=00002935

in my honest opinion, I think police did the right thing. A) Derek was wearing a jacket in which he could've had a concealed weapon. Sommers committed the rape with the aid of a knife, and possibly a gun (at least that's what the 'inside' info said). For fear of officer safety, it was in their best interests to tase him, as he was being noncompliant. B)He really could've been a little more observant. It's not like NCCPD is the navy seals... they did sneak up on him... WITH A DOG (they bark) and a TASER (WHICH HAS A FLASHLIGHT ON IT) I mean, its easy to get NCCPD confused with the UPS driver, but come on, look around a little... I do feel bad though. it's just a shame that it had to happen. honestly, I blame his iPod listening habits (he has them turned up real loud all the time). just thought I'd keep y'all up on our local news... =P and again, CAN I PLEASE HAVE A TASER SMILEY?!:)!:)!

-Total

Edited by Totalimmortal

UPDATE:

After speaking to a couple NCCPD officers who were in HQ today... looks like there have been no official complaints yet (a necessary part in a lawsuit) and there might not be any. There IS an internal investigation as to what happened there... I just pray for this situation to be resolved in a quick and peaceful manner, everyone needs to recognize their mistakes...

On the other hand... I do thoroughly understand where the officers came from. I understand that they were probably quite on edge after searching for this dangerous predator. The officer that tased him was probably thinking that it WAS Paul Sommers, the actual 'alleged' rapist, and was acting on his emotions. I understand the desire to "punish" a criminal in a way that one thinks officers of the court will be unable to. Legally, this is not allowed, and is quite unprofessional... but I understand the desire to hurt someone who, without reason or remorse kidnapped and violated multiple people. Looking at it from their point of view, I understand why this happened. It's a shame that it wasn't truly Paul Sommers. A very tense situation, and I will keep updating y'all as to the outcome. Stay safe all.

-Total

Total, are you sure you are allowed to mention the actual suspects name in this case in public?, he hasn't been named in any of the articles you have posted.....privacy laws must be very different in USA than from here.

positive, he was mentioned somewhere in a press release by NCCPD, but you have to pay to get them (I get em free at work)... also in the original Delawareonline article his name was mentioned.

although you do raise a good point, I worded my first post rather accusatorily, and I apologize for that. I let my personal bias in... he's innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, so at the moment, he is still "allegedly" the perpetrator... good call funk

-Total

Edited by Totalimmortal

That's very unfortunate about your friend Total. I hope he's feeling ok and not too banged up at least. As for the way your friend behaved I can easily imagine myself acting in a similar manner. Tired, listening to music and just ignoring the world for the sake of peace of mind. I do that occasionally myself and could easily have passed those cops up as some dude/dudes walking their annoying dog. Of course... If said dudes had their flashlight beaming right in my face upon approach I think I'd have certainly paid attention. Complicated situation indeed. :)

We in Australia constantly moan about how lax our police have become in arresting people.

These days they seem to be very hesitant to arrest people for whatever reason (too much paperwork, being sued for wrongful arrest, being dragged across the coals in a police inquiry)

I have no sympathy for the guy who was mistaken for a dangerous criminal and who acted in a way that caused the police to act as they did. It was unfortunate but the guy is now ok.

Go ask the victim of the rape or her family if they want the police to back off if they see a suspect.

Go ask the next victim of the rapist if they want the police to be cautious with their arrests.

If the guy who was bitten by the dog seeks compensation from this I would hope that as he goes to court with his puncture marks that he (and his blood sucking lawyer) keep a thought for the poor girl whose life has been destroyed by some mongrel lowlife (censored).

The police have apologised for their mistake in carrying out their duty..........in this case any money rewarded to the mistaken suspect is a disgusting indictment of our modern day society.

stubbs

Edited by stubbie

Tased cuz of being "suspected"... ? I just went through all this... like any sort of a "crime" scene it's very complicated...there's probably not real version of what is considered "truth" and there will probably never will be huh :)

Total, I hope your friend's okay... I remember you saying what a "shocking" experience being tased can be...the idea of all that kind of voltage burning up my nervous system really freaks me out.

And, lol, did find a tasing smiley, but it's quality ain't that hot unfortunately.

taser8kz4ia.gif

gogo

woot! gogo rules! :bow::):bow:

as for derek, he's fine, he's just upset because he said the po-po didn't apologize to him... (I think they did and what he meant was apologize with money)... but yah, tasing is no fun, unless you do it to smilies! :o

-Total

Hmm... walking around in public without being able to hear shouted commands (due to listening to music on iPod or whatever): DUMB!

Hmm... being tasered and bitten by a police dog. I think I would sue... but then, I'd be able to hear police's commands and I would obey. So, I probably wouldn't get tasered or bitten. Why would I sue? Assault is a crime, and if the police assault me, they should pay for the crime the same way any other criminal would. Wearing a badge means you are they to uphold the law, not break it! I'd also have the dog destroyed. Why? 'Cause if a non-aggressive person like me gets bit, then, the dog is too aggressive for his/her job. And the taste of human blood is what non-police dogs get destroyed for too.

Hmm... I bet the victim Derrick doesn't know his rights or the law. He probably feels dumb for not complying... but remember folks: when you're tasered, you could lose control of your bodily functions (#1, and #2). More shame for him. This would be a horrifying experience to go through. The article doesn't mention it, but he probably was arrested too. And put in temporary holding too. This too, would be pretty horrifying for the average high school student.

I bet he's still in shock.

Being a jerk doesn't merit all the badness that ensued here.

I was a jerk back then too (high school). I hope outgrew it! :)