I picked up my "new" (new to me) car today. My first one (although I've had a license for ~2 years, I've always got the train to work, but now we've moved, the train takes ~1-1.5hrs & costs ~£180 a month, so the car will be cheaper & quicker), it's a dark red '96 Vauxhall Astra with ~23k miles on the clock (exceptionally low, but the previous owner was an old person, & the mileage isn't dodgy 'cause it drives like it's not done much mileage). Drove it home on my own (first time I've actually driven by myself) which was quite nice, it's just a pity the A217 has a 40 limit.

:D

And yay for self-propelled petrol lawnmowers! :wink_smile[1]:

Hey Llama cool on yer new wheels!...Vrooooooooooooooooom! Even on the M25 I expect you'll only get to crawl along with all the traffic! heheh that bit of motorway terrify's me!

Yeah post a piccy of yeer new hot wheels :D

Aurora...I think it's because it's an A road and probably runs through a built u area which restricts the speed you can drive either 40 or in some places...through residential areas 30mph....I think lol...and erm oops how did I pass my test with my wobbly knowledge of the highway code :D

It doesn't run through a residential area though, which is the odd thing. It's a nice straight road (broken only by a few big roundabouts) on a gentle hill. They must have set the speed limit to limit accidents. That & a low speed limit pisses people off so they get caught on the speed cameras -> more revenue for the police.

yeah a piccy of ya wheels!! B)

speed cameras are just a way of making money they get put just after the speedlimit changes to catch you out then the money (in england) is spent on CCTV which doesnt cut crime makes the police lazy and decreases the chance of them solving crimes! :o

;) Speed cameras--- :bomb:

:av-52[1]: :devil2[1]: :av-52[1]:

Aaargh I hate speed cameras!! ;)

Do you guys (anyone) have the unspoken rule that if you see a camera you flash on your brights to the oncoming traffic to warn them? I love the satisfaction when someone notices and gives you the thumbs up :thumbsup[1]: ...but of course I would never encourage speeding <_<

And do you guys get demerit points or just a fine for speeding?

Yeah it's cutomary to flash other drivers especially if it's one of those mobile units...some bloke in a van...and yeah we get fined and points :):(

and ofc nooo we never encourage speeding but then I don't like to encourage the vast amounts of money the govt reaps in revenue from those evol camera's.

There are these nav systems you can get in your car now to detect cameras...haven't got one in mine heheh I don't drive like honestly;)

:diablo[1]: :diablo[1]: :diablo[1]: for those horrible cameras

Yeah it's cutomary to flash other drivers especially if it's one of those mobile units...some bloke in a van...and yeah we get fined and points :(:(

So do u also have permanent cameras in some places? All ours are those mobile ones, but there is talk of bringing in permanent ones, but I dont really see how that will work cos wont people just slow down when they get to the spot since they know about it? :)

Do u guys have double demerit point weekends? On long weekends like Easter etc...we get double demerit points if we are caught speeding....It really sux...if you are really unlucky u could lose your licence in one weekend :angry:

So do u also have permanent cameras in some places?

Oh yes, quite a few permanent ones, plus they (legally) have to be signposted. I think they also had to be bright yellow, but I don't think that's the case anymore (too many of them were getting burnt out).

All ours are those mobile ones, but there is talk of bringing in permanent ones, but I dont really see how that will work cos wont people just slow down when they get to the spot since they know about it? :)

Yup, add in the fact that they're bright yellow, signposted & have lots of white lines on the road just after them & it's a wonder they catch anyone.

Guest gogoblender

heh, cars are cool...as long as someone else owns em ;)

The expenses of running cars regarding insurance ( a huge expense here in quebec), absurdly expensive gas prices and the stench of burnt hydrocarbons and hot ashphalt accompanied by the morning cacophony of horns and squealing breaks gladly makes me run for public transport every time.

heh, llama hope you make your way to the autobahn one day and really get ta have some fun. Those crazy camers are startin ta show up here in montreal as well, but I hear that Britain has gone uber camera happy with those little things tryin to install em on every street corner now, lol.

They want to know EVERYTHING about you.

:devil2[1]:

gogo

GoGo those cameras...... :Explode1:

Aur

Do u guys have double demerit point weekends? On long weekends like Easter etc...we get double demerit points if we are caught speeding....It really sux...if you are really unlucky u could lose your licence in one weekend angry.gif

Now that is just plain wrong! No we don't have that and please never speak of it again :wink_smile[1]: ...*sigh* guess it won't be long before they look at something like that :cry_smile[1]:

Guest gogoblender

Double Demerit point weekends?

LOL!

hollee cow, Australia is starting to sound like some sort of ....

video game!

;)

gogo

Now that is just plain wrong! No we don't have that and please never speak of it again :wink_smile[1]: ...*sigh* guess it won't be long before they look at something like that :cry_smile[1]:

Double Demerit point weekends?

LOL!

hollee cow, Australia is starting to sound like some sort of ....

video game!

I know tell me about it! It really is just plain wrong <_<

Its for our own safety of course :( nothing to do with raising revenue.... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Speed cameras, jesus.

People would probably shoot those if they tried them here.

Speaking of speeding...

I've got to remember to send in a ticket today.

(84 in a 65) /sweat hmph.

Yeah and 'they' have just announced they are doubling all the fines for traffic infringements /mad

Nah their not after our money at all......

• 5 weeks later...

Big Brothers Here Already

no need to read the book or watch the (awful) reality show in britain the cameras are appearing everywhere plus they want ID cards turning it into a police state as well.......

/mad /mad /mad

alleluia they dont want our omney or to know about everything we do and everything about us do they...

/Explode

/devil

~Doom

Of course they do TIm..... <_<

Its all about controlling every aspect of our lives! /oooo /oooo /oooo

"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Ah excuse my cynicism please /whistle