IE 7 Pro.. ten times the bandwidth?

gogoblender

I just read this on the net...that IE 7 pro (lol, never even heard about it till just a few mins ago :P) has some sort of functionality called "pre fetch" which on one forum was driving up a forum member's bandwidth usage by almost ten times...

:sick:

Anyone here using ie7 pro or know anything about this?

Here's the guys post on how he says it can be turned off:

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showpos...amp;postcount=5

Weird spooky stuff this is

:lol:

gogo

I am usually up for trying out these things--I'm downloading it now even as I type. Kind of funny how they try to make their website look like an official Microsoft site.

I think pro's an add-on you add to your ie seven...and the "fetch" function is one of the functions you can toggle on and off on it ..I think. Oh, and bhj just gave me the link last night for he ie7 pro download here:

http://www.ie7pro.com/

:D

gogo

The first time I downloaded it I went to the official site. It took forever and the file was corrupted. Softpedia is a much better choice.

Lol. I see the spell checker is busy at work as I type.

Sounds like a boon to you and everyone else pays for it. You are busy pre-loading pages that might be accessed. Everyone else is waiting for they ones they are actually trying to get.

The gist of the original thread seemed to me that a bboard user was hogging resources and the admins wanted it shut down.

Very much like instruction pre-fetch in a CPU pipeline. If they guess right, it's great. If not, a whole bunch of wasted effort.

Well so far I have not noticed anything to complain about.

I like the spell checker.

Certain things seem a waste of time to me:

Super drag and drop...what's so hard about right click, open in new tab?

mouse gestures....no comment.

I like being able to drag pictures directly to my desktop but there is always right click, save as.

I used to work at an ISP - and this pre-fetch thing has been around a long time - first touted when only dialup was available here. Be careful of your usage if it's metered - as someone noted - you download a lot of content you may never view - If you have no limits and a pretty newish PC - it may be worth a go. Not for me - I am a FF dood - but maybe ok for some.

I've been converted to the foxy one as well, but I do miss one thing from IE 6. Maybe the fox has an add-on to do this, but in IE6 I could accept all first party cookies and reject all 3rd party cookies with 1 setting.

The ff cookie handler dos not seem to distinguish between the 2 types, so if I say accept all, I will not only get the google cookies, but also adrevolver, doubleclick, etc. All the crap I don't want. So I need to frequently go in and clear out the undesirable ones, or else aout flush all of them every session -- but then I need to login at fdm every time as well.

Any ideas?

gial