Server problems?

I had been experiencing many, many ctd of late, and, along with the crowd blaming the instability of the servers, since Sacred was/is the only app I run that misbehaves.

Recently though, I began to notice problems with booting (extraordinarily long bootup/shutdown times) and began to suspect I had hw problems of my own.

Tried several things to no avail, but found a link to "Prime 95" a Mersenne prime distributed calculating program a la "SETI@home". The math it performs has become well known as a stress tester for CPUs.

I downloaded it and tried the stress test. POW. CPU error in less than a minute. Tried it several times, same result each time.

My bus speed is adjustable through the CMOS, so I clocked it down from 133 MHz to 100 - eliminating 25% of my processing speed. The problem went away. As did my ctd problem. I have not had a crash in 4 days, with many hours played. I had been crashing about once every 10 minutes on average.

I suspect Sacred heavily uses the FP (floating point) numeric processor which generates a lot of heat. Next weekend, I'm taking my system apart, cleaning dust even better, and re-seating the heatsink. If that fails, time for a new chip. To anyone else having frequent crashes, download the Prime95 program (you don't have to sign up as a participant) and run the stress test. Here's the link:

Prime 95 info

huh.. that sounds bad, only a minute? even my system can run 10+ hours whitout any errors and I'm currently having so big problems that can't really play any games because really bad slow downs. But still, I haven't had any ctd's as long as I remember (well ones in allmost full kami server), so maybe you just found part of the reason why some players get lot of ctd's and some non.

Gial, if the cleaning and reseating of heat sink don't fix it, you might also run a memory diagnostic as the CPU's bus speed determines the memory's bus speed (MS has one you can download, though you have to put it on a bootable media (floppy or CD)). It's an easy test before buying a new CPU.

Thanks masteff, but I already ran memtest86 and the memory is clean even at 133 MHz.

My problem is 2 fold in that it is too old. One, I can't get chips that slow anymore - hehe, and two, not sure if I want to invest any $$ in such an old machine anyway.

I have an Athlon 1500XP and the slowest I can find is a 2200. Same bus speeds, so it MAY be compatible, I just need to check my mainboard.

@Obsession If you can run the stress test for 10 hours, then your problems are clearly not the cpu. But if you mean your system doesn't crash - mine doesn't either unless I run Sacred.

Very strange... Now I've been having troubles lately. Past week or so. Is this contagious? Haha. Lately I've been experiencing computer freezes which is very unusual for me. Every since I installed the Mythos game in fact. When I started playing Mythos I began experienceing pc freezes which forced me to restart my pc. After this happened a couple times I started watching my GPU temperature. It was getting up around 70C and I'm fairly certain that's getting a bit too hot. A couple days ago I had my first Sacred Underworld pc freeze so I'm kinda worried now.

As for ctd's in Sacred that's been a regular thing for as long as I can remember. It's sort of up and down. I've gone through a month of playing Sacred without a CTD and then the next month I get tons of them. Hard to pin point but if I recall correctly I read somewhere that the most likely cause of game CTD's is overheating.

Interesting tips gial. I'll have a look at that bus speed. :lol: I've monitored how much CPU Sacred uses in the past and it's generally around 50%. I'll have to check that again I think. However, I did some checks yesterday and found that my system was heavily fragmented and low on free space. I cleaned that up so I'll see how things go. Strange thing... Photoshop was holding 6GB of space, heh. It wasn't even running when I checked. Happens sometimes with Photoshop. :)

I'm starting to think that maybe we should create a listing of "What to do" for pc troubles. A sort of community resource would be great for the Tech Talk section eh?