HD-DVD Death Is Official

FdmNews

HD-DVD Death Imminent: Reuters, NHK

nomorehdam0.jpg

Toshiba is to put HD-DVD out of its misery. Reuters confirmed reported Saturday afternoon that it will cease manufacturing HD-DVD equipment, following earlier reports from Japan's NHK public broadcasting network.

This leaves Blu-Ray as the presumptive victor in the irrelevant optical disk format war. It now must face up to the real competition: the continuing success of DVD and the growing popularity of downloads, both on the internet and on-demand cable TV.

The end comes only a day after Wal-Mart announced it would no longer carry HD-DVD stuff. This will go a long way to confirming the view, long-held by cynics, that the mega-retailer always held the executioner's axe to begin with, and was merely waiting until it was clear which format's camp had the most densely-stuffed brown envelopes to throw at Hollywood.

View the full article

Toshiba press release

That was not hard to see to happen. Blu-ray got support from several big movie companys and electric companys like sony and others. Hd-dvd was the choice for "adult entertainment" and microsoft... or this is how few years old finn pc magasine said.

I'd curious to see what wins out...downloads or renting the stuff at the store. Lately bandwidth costs are becoming more and more of an issue, and there is a store near me that charges about 12 bux a month for unlimimited dvd viewings...trick is you only get to pull out one from the store at a time.

The costs are actually sort of comparable for a fast download speed like mine

^^

:(

gogo

The wife & I have recently started subscribing to a postal DVD service £12 a month for unlimited DVDs 2 at a time & we can get through ~2 per week, so we're paying for ~£1.50 per DVD, which isn't too bad.

The interesting thing though is that lately I've been pro-rata-ing dollar per gig comparing what I have to pay the isp for each gig over the limit to plain out renting something these days. Ever since unlimited downloads isn't oferred here for a cheap rate anymore, it's coming to about 1.50 a movie via download cost per kbs....

gogo

And I am really suprised by this.....

Sorry but HD-DVD was doomed every since a really major film group backed blu-ray (can't remember who the group was for the life of me)

Also HD-DVD storage was inferior in jsut about very way

~Doom

EDIT: You know HD-DVD and Betamax were similiar in a way, they both had inferior storage space to their rivals..... and they both lost :)

Edited by TimOfDoom

Q on the side: I read messages from people saying they'll buy a HD-DVD player and use it to upscale DVD's... Does anyone here know what that means?

Might be interesting, since HD-DVD players will probably be sold for next to nothing the upcoming months....

Guys I haven't really been up on hdvd and blu ray... can you tell me what kind of comp is needed to play these kinds of media?

Or is it only an "official" player that can do it?

:Just_Cuz_21:

gogo