Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Knuckles

This series started awhile ago and almost to the last book or so (12-14 books total) For me it is the best sci-fi fantasy since Tolkien and may even be better.

Jordan is an amazing writer...the storyline is sooo complex with all the sub-plots and characters but it never gets confusing or boring to read.

Another great series is by George Martin called "A Song of Ice and Fire"

Anyone else reading these?

edit: link for Wheel of Times

I've always loved the phrase that starts each book

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose....

The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of time.

But it was a beginning."

Edited by Knuckles

sadly to say I haven't been able to read near as much these days due to work an such ... I am always interested in trying to find new series/authors to read. I would have to say my favorite author is James Byron Huggins .... if I manage to get a breather from work I'll check these out an get back with ya what I think :twitch:

Unfortunately Robert Jordan passed away late last year. His widow apparently has the outline and the partially written last book in the wheel of time series with instructions on how to finish it but it may be some time before the book comes out... I and DH have read this since the series was labelled a triology (the first 2 books said it was a trilogy when originally published n softcover years ago) and were particularly sad to find out he had passed without completing the last book :twitch:

OMG I didn't hear that.....I am sooooo bummed now...

He was such an unbelievable writer..

My condolensces to his friends and family. I hope they do finish series. It would be a shame to let this go unfinished :(

Heh, I gave up on the series about four or five books in. It just went on and on (and on and on... ) I remember a few eye rolling moments for me, lol.

However, I did like how magic was described in the book...nothing like a bit of balefire to stick a few holes in the tapestry of life ^^

George R Martin... the guy''s a genius. I'd never thought I could/would want to read what was supposed to be "fantasy" books ...but fantasy books with so little magic...I would be screaming with sheer joy anytime something magical happened, just cuz the book made me want it so much. Loved the dragons (was it at the end of the second book they were born?) that singing they did when they got reborn was fantastic, and this series was so violent...so cruel. I almost cried at the end of the first book when so many peeps we cared for just got done away with in such vicious manners.

That series has got to be one of the best I've read in my life period.

:(

gogo

Robert Jordan dead!?! ..gak .. didnt know that :(

Read both the Wheel of time series and A song of Ice and Fire. The pace set in the wheel of time were just sooo slow compared, remember I had to keep my self from skipping pages or even chapters just to get on with the story. Another series I love that just ended a few month ago it the Sword of Truth series from Terry Goodkind.

Sword of Truth series was excellent. Another great read with some fresh twists off of the main fantasy road. Very recommended, with the requisite goofy but sometimes nigh/powerful wizard and no holds barred prose that will sink you in deep into the action.

:(

gogo

I'm a big fan, although the wheel of time series drag on too long, not that any single book is worse than the others, but still has it been 10 yrs? Wait no, more... I'm older than I still believed I suppose, lol.

I was saddened about his passing, he is a greater writer. Also selfishly I want to finish the series! Yeah her wife will write it, but that's just different. :(