Hands On: GPC Mini Gives Mac Mini Run for Its Money

FdmNews

Everex's gPC Mini is cheaper than the Mac Mini and almost as small, but the lack of OS X or Windows makes it a hard sell.

Everex's gPC mini is the third in its new lineup of cheap, linux-powered computers. With smoothly rounded corners and a pearly-white paint job, it's like a Mac Mini from another universe. And that's certainly what its designers want you to think: at $500, it's a mass market PC that comes in a similar tiny form and at an even tinier price.

The specs are good for the price: check our a comparison chart at the bottom of this post. Its Intel T2130 CPU is not as powerful as the Mac Mini's, and it has only 512MB of RAM to the $600 Mini's 1GB, but it has more storage (120GB vs. 80GB), a DVD burner, and various useful trimmings like an S-Video port, front USB port and a card reader. Like the Mini, it comes standalone: bring your own mouse, monitor and keyboard.

The full specs are as follows: Intel Dual-Core T2130 (1.86GHz), Intel GMA950, video chip (same as the Mac Mini), Realtek ALC268 audio, gigabit ethernet, firewire, 4 USB ports and standard Audio In/Out.

everex.jpg

Having spent an hour with it to get some photos and a first look, its shortcomings were expected, given similar issues with Everex's recent subnotebook: gOS Linux just isn't ready for prime time as a mass-market alternative to Windows and OSX.

View the full article

:D Seksie! :P

I've even been thinking of selling my PC and start using one of those babies... Yep I think they're that awesome lol :)

Downside would've been that I couldn't play pc games anymore, but I thought about it and realized I hardly game anymore, anyway.

Haven't made the plunge yet, but somehow I think my next pc will be one of those tiny thingies! :4rofl:

Other little rascals:

PSILE

AOpen MiniPC

Edited by Timotheus

lol, I was thinking that is is kinda good looking...but in an old school kinda way..like retro stereo components. I couldn't go for it though...I need that extra flexibility that using an ox gives me...

Gamer here...

And you too Timo...there's no denying it...you can resist for a tide or two...but eventually...we all float into the waves...

*cue scary music*

clown.JPG

:4rofl:

gogo

Aww come on! Look at the Psile or the AOpen and tell me that dun look beautiful! :P

Hey Sacred's coming to the 360 too... And there will be a $50 price drop in April... :devil:

Aww come on! Look at the Psile or the AOpen and tell me that dun look beautiful! :P

Hey Sacred's coming to the 360 too... And there will be a $50 price drop in April... :devil:

Saw that post of yours about the 360, Timo...intriguing... and yes, another (unfortunately) too fun way to spend money

:P

gogo