The People Under the Stairs 2???

locutus

So I have netflix and was looking around for a movie to "watch instantly" and noticed The People Under the Stairs...a cult classic I loved from a long while ago. Watched it just now and it's still as good as gold. I went to imdb.com to look up the actors in the movie and to my surprise I saw for the girl(now woman) who played Alice:

The People Under the Stairs 2 (2008) (announced) .... Alice

http://imdb.com/title/tt1042905/

17 years later and a sequel:) Ho boy! If you haven't seen the original, SEE IT! No, it didnt come close to any academy awards but like I said...cult classic. It circles around "Fool" a young boy growing up in the ghetto, his mother dying of cancer...being evicted from their apartment. What can a boy do? Tag a long with Ving Rhames(way before he was famous) and break into the house of the landlords and try to find what they believe to be millions in gold coins stashed away. This is where things get ugly, the landlords are a sinister, murderous and creepily sexual brother and sister duo who refer to themselves as mother and father and keep their unwanted children stashed in the cellar. They have a daughter, Alice, who's abused but good natured and willing to help the good guys. Add to this the father running around in a leather bondage outfit with a shotgun trying to catch one of the children in the walls and you have yourself a Wes Craven(nightmare on elm street/scream trilogy, etc) masterpiece.

Please tell me someone here at darkmatters can back me up so I dont look like a complete freak :)

Anywho I know an imdb "announced" movie doesnt mean there's a green light but I got a lil excited

Well I will try and find it... I'm sorry I was too young to have watched that movie. :)

But I'm a fan of both retro and alternative, it looks really attractive to me.

Bravo for bringing this title back alive! You know, I'd always seen it on the shelves, and had also for some strange reason or another, found the title compelling. I could always seen in my mind's eye this old creepy house with... dunno, a kind of small group of nasties all huddling and scurrying around in a secretive way. The space under the stairs is a funny one. There's a lot of shadow there... and most of us tend to forget how big that space really is. The first time I saw this title it just stuck in my mind...what goes on in there... should I open the small door (creepy small door) that leads to that space ^^

So I haven't seen it Locutus...BUT... I will get it from our local store this weekend and hurry back home to watch and review it for you. It's been calling all these years I guess and the guy who gave us The serpent and the rainbow and the classic Freddy surely has something scary to say with this one. lol, your description of the movie was great...children stashed in the cellar huh...

:)

gogo

:P Oh I always laughed at that cover.. that really had nothing to do with the movie! hehe well there was a house in it at least. I did always like this movie and all its disturbingness.. But I always rather liked the longhaired wild male under those stairs! Much like Boone in "Nightbreed" hehe Enjoy Gogo!

Alright, seen it.

It isn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. Maybe I should have seen it w/o the lights on. :)

The story has too much coincidences, not very believable. I mean things like these just do not happen simultaneously. Too many holes for it not to blow. If it were to be divide into different views of a number of households, each containing an amount of the horror and their own storyteller, it would be more doable.

I guess maybe that's the reason I can't really dig the horror of it. I have to believe and I wasn't, sorry. :D

Man, this movie made me laugh. There were times when I couldn't even believe it was done by Wes Craven ^^ Does anyone think that evil mommy looks a lot like the Chicken Lady from Kids in the Hall?

th_chickenlady.jpg

The movie kept me interested for the first quarter, simply because I just couldn't figure out what the angle was. And boy, when they finally let the cat out of the bag as to what the "people" are, again...I laughed. I found the movie both fun and funny at the same time. The latter half of the movie seemed to be just the tables being turned...kids getting the upper hand...villains getting the upper hand... then rinse/repeat. Some of the lines the actors used are a riot. That with the over the top acting, direction and music... and I realized that this must have been something that Wes Craven did for fun..if not what else? A strange movie, but still a chuckle. And all worth it to see the Daddy running around shooting holes in his walls looking for the "people" while dressed in some sort of S & M gear... what were they thinking?

:D

gogo

p.s. Ari, you're right... that skull on the ad... lol...huh?

It's an interesting genre though. I mean...there were some parts that I think we were honestly meant to flinch at. Think Tremors could be one of these kinds of movies as well?

tremors.jpg

:)

gogo