What would you do if you were in my shoes?

This is the situation. I just submitted my visa application to the embassy 2 days ago and am going to submit my resignation letter before the month is out. A visa is normally released after 2 months but somethings in as short as a month. I know submitting the resignation letter is a bit early but my point is what if the visa is released after only a month and I havn't submitted any letter yet. I don't want to be caught in a technically wherein I did not give a 30 days notice (it's the standard here) prior to my resignation. There is also a possibility of the visa application being rejected but I've always believed in the saying "begin with the end in mind" so am not considering that possibility for now.

Your opinions are very much welcome.

I would submit my resignation to my supervisor, but leave the termination date possibly negotiable, and fully explaining the circumstances. Let your boss know the details of your visa application and your future plans. Since you are undoubtedly a valuable employee, I'm sure they'd be happy to squeeze a few extra days out of you if the visa is not processed right away.

If your Visa is granted, how long would you have in order to use it? Would it make more sense to wait a couple of weeks and then put in your notice? That way, if the Visa is granted after one month, you have a couple of weeks in your current job. If it is not granted for two months, you are only short a couple of weeks and may, as Gial notes, be able to extend your employment by a little. I also agree that discussing the situation with your boss (depending on your relationship) is probably best. Amazing how much latitude you can get when you and your boss are working together.

- Ike

@ gial : am actually the most senior among all the supervisors there!! :drinks:

@ Ike : once the visa is granted I must use it ASAP. Actually class starts July 21 but the offer from the school would expired on June 9. If for example the visa is granted before June 9 I would already be on terminal leave because I need to have a vacation on my wife's place or my mother in law would feel bad because it would be at least 2 years before she sees us again. Btw I am very close with my boss and actually she knows all the details already. It's just our president who doesn't know it yet.