Favourite Word of the Day

Damp:

muffle: deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping

restrain or discourage; "the sudden bad news damped the joyous atmosphere"

dampen: make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"

a slight wetness

dampen: lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"

slightly wet; "clothes damp with perspiration"; "a moist breeze"; "eyes moist with tears"

Guest gogoblender
eclectic

Made up of or combining elements from a variety of sources

love the word

It's very inclusive and looks to make a greater whole from a collection of differences.

Great strengths come from differences.

Managing them is the hard part

:)

gogo

Guest gogoblender

Perception:Web definitions for perception

percept: the representation of what is perceived; basic component in the formation of a concept

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn - Definition in context

Each person starts off with a perceived understanding of what their range of action values and capacities for growth are.

It is up to each person to understand this perception and, if they so choose...to redefine and find new challenges and ways to enhance, change and transform their capacities.

Perception can be limited by "lot" so be careful you don't settle for anything less than a dynamic sytem of personal values that can only become more broader and inclusive with experience.

I propose using the word "lot' as a beginning.

A place to root personal beneficial change from.

Not easy

But possible.

:(

gogo

Perception:Web definitions for perception

percept: the representation of what is perceived; basic component in the formation of a concept

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn - Definition in context

Each person starts off with a perceived understanding of what their range of action values and capacities for growth are.

It is up to each person to understand this perception and, if they so choose...to redefine and find new challenges and ways to enhance, change and transform their capacities.

Perception can be limited by "lot" so be careful you don't settle for anything less than a dynamic sytem of personal values that can only become more broader and inclusive with experience.

I propose using the word "lot' as a beginning.

A place to root personal beneficial change from.

Not easy

But possible.

:D

gogo

/thumbsup

Haha gogo nice use of terms (and possibly some elliptical notions you are not aware of), hope you understand what you are talking about :o

There are several discrepancies:

1. Perception: No one starts off with a perceived understanding of what their range of action values and capacities. They are learned, not born with. For instance a baby has the universal capacity to understand all languages in the world but does not interpret it until the he/she hears one sound to another. In such particular case, the baby discriminates from what is useless to him/her. This is inborn then learn, and that is how choosing to accept representation would gradually mold his lot.

As he/she grows up, this is when he/she starts to perceive and analyse of what he/she perceives. There are two sorts of representation false, and true.

Surely, if you had researched more deeply, you would find out that "lot" comes from the school of stoicism. That word coincides with the notion of "representation". Of course, there are many contradictions, but believing in your "lot" does not necessarily mean you have to settle for anything less. On the contrary, you have to do all that is necessary to improve your life in your lot.

For instance: you go on a boat, Prepare all that is necessary to secure safety during travelling. the boat got hit by thunder. your chance of survival is slim to none. but deep down you know you have done all that is necessary to secure your safety. What can you do then ? you accept your lot. You accept the thunder in all its glory :(

Everyone plays a role in the world's theater. You were giving a role. But it is up to you to define it and choose how to play it. (That is the representation you talked of) the acceptance of that role (assent), the play of that role (lot).

2. Perception is limited by lot. But lot does not interfere of what you are perceiving per se. You go on the street. you see a beautiful girl. wouldn't you do anything that is possible to court and woe ?

I propose that you research more deeply before belittling "lot". Lot can be useful to define values of life and to discriminate what is superfluous. You focus more on what you need rather than indulge in excessiveness or things that do not concern you. Finally, lot can be useful in terms of not letting you be tooo ambitious and proud.

One final suggestive reading: "M. Aurelius and His Meditations". He is a Roman Emperor but chose to write philosophy in Greek. Isn't that Crazy? Greek was once considered (possible still is) the language of philosophy. Nowadays, French is the chic language of philosophers, if I am not mistaken

/thumbsup

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - a Fear of long words

it has to be my favourite word for today, because I'm not being very chatty at the moment and don't use any of my big fancy words!

Guest gogoblender

lol, dan

I remember that one

it was Jonny, the head admin from DA who had that in his sig.

NOW I finnaly know what it stands for!

:(

gogo

Yeah Dan we miss your chattyness!

/hug

My word for the day is SISTERS...

mine rock they are the best thing ever

/wub !

My Uk ones and my Aussie ones

/hug

Sisters truly are the best peeps in the world /heart /hug /heart

My word for the day is:

/mad CONSUMERISM /mad

1. The movement seeking to protect and inform consumers by requiring such practices as honest packaging and advertising, product guarantees, and improved safety standards.

2. The theory that a progressively greater consumption of goods is economically beneficial.

3. Attachment to materialistic values or possessions: deplored the rampant consumerism of contemporary society.

now I am kinda jealous....maybe my brother can change sex /diablo

.... *coughs* I wouldn't give /hugs....tho --- kinda gross....

Fav. word . Ecumenism

Cf. Deception In the Church "Where Do You Draw The Line?" found in http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/ecumenism.htm (1998) May 26 2006

Ecumenism means the review of all world's religion to promote unity of Christianity ..... (just to save gogo from punching this thread unecessarily *smirks*) Ecumenism does not have a bad connotation- it allows different schools of churches to understand each other- not only to promote christianity per se, but to improve well being.

Obviously, there are problems to this approach. They cling too much on naive idealism, proper to their own church. Besides that, NGOs seek to profit from this unity by undermining loyal's (to the Church) heart to seek the well being of others.....