Favourite Word of the Day

What is everones favourite word of the day?

Today mine are

Idiosyncratic:

1. A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.

2. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.

3. An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug.

Facade:

1. The face of a building, especially the principal face.

2. An artificial or deceptive front: ideological slogans that were a façade for geopolitical power struggles.

Just thought it would be an interesting way to increase our vocabs :smartass[1]:

Mine changes everyday, but I have a couple of constants....

Aphrodesiac... anything that turns someone on :guns:

Serendipity... destiny, kismet, fate (I have a cat named Serendipity :yay: )

Serenity... peace :lazy3[1]:

Scarily, if you put the first letters of my three fave words into a word you get another word :lol:

Guest gogoblender
Mine changes everyday, but I have a couple of constants....

Aphrodesiac... anything that turns someone on :)

Serendipity... destiny, kismet, fate (I have a cat named Serendipity :) )

Serenity... peace :lazy3[1]:

Scarily, if you put the first letters of my three fave words into a word you get another word :D

One of my favorite words ever

heh, and it seems I can never stop tellin peeps about where it comes from everytime I see it used :P

so here's the story

A long time ago the arabs used to sail around an island which lay off the southern tip of India. They were thrilled with the bounties of this island, Coconuts, fruit, tigers and gems. They gave the name Serendib to the island which means: unexpected new-found pleasure.

Hence the word: Serendipity

Over the many years the island's name changed under the reign of many rulers.

So from Serendib it beame Ceylong

And finally...

From Ceylon...to Sri Lanka

My place of birth

Woot!

:)

gogo

One of my favorite words ever

So from Serendib it beame Ceylong

And finally...

From Ceylon...to Sri Lanka

My place of birth

Oh cool! I love finding out where words originate... particularly when it's a word I love... :blush:

Apparently checkmate and gazelle are the only two Persian words which are a part of the English language, but don't quote me on that :wink_smile[1]:

My fave word today is "Ambience" - meaning a vibe, or general feeling in a particular place... and I must say the ambience in this forum always rocks!

Nirvana /yay

1: the final beatitude that transcends suffering, karma, and samsara and is sought especially in Buddhism through the extinction of desire and individual consciousness

2: a place or state of oblivion to care, pain, or external reality

Spam

-To post irrelevant or inappropriate messages to one or more Usenet newsgroups, mailing lists, or other

messaging system in deliberate or accidental violation of netiquette. :)

-To indiscriminately send large amounts of unsolicited e-mail meant to promote a product or service. Spam in this sense is sort of like the electronic equivalent of junk mail sent to "Occupant".

-A trademark used for a canned meat product consisting primarily of chopped pork pressed into a loaf. /sick

Guest gogoblender

polymath

a person of great or prounounced learning.

cool huh!

kinda like a rennaisance man I think

:(

gogo

Conjunction

Honestly, I just like the sound of it. :(

The act of joining.

The state of being joined.

or

An apparent meeting or passing of two or more celestial bodies in the same degree of the zodiac.

Like in the Dark Crystal and the great conjunction. ^_^

Wrought: physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something.

Radii: A plural of radius.

Maleoli: Either of the two rounded protuberances on each side of the ankle, the inner formed by a projection of the tibia and the outer by a projection of the fibula.

Lavatrice: italian for washing machine