Bottled sauces

These keep cropping up with names that may be an everyday item to the person posting, but which are unknown to others.

scan0001-1.jpg poor scan, sorry. First one is Worcester sauce.

These, for instance are the ones I used to use quite frequently, though I think A1 sauce is similar to what I knew as ‘Daddy’s’ sauce

One that puzzles me a bit, though perhaps no one else, is the Salsa sauce so frequently referred to.

My reference book on Mexican cooking tells me that ‘salsa’ means ‘sauce’, and goes on to talk of ‘salsa cruda’, which appears to have two qualitities, raw materials and spiciness. ‘Salsa de Jicamate’ is a spicy tomatoe sauce.

Another book tells me that ‘outside Mexico it has come to mean an uncooked tomato-based relish, flavoured in varying degrees by onions, fresh coriander and chillies…’ I.e. the ‘Salsa de Jicamate’, and that they sometimes use the ‘very hot and slightly smoky jalapeno peppers’.

So not “salsa” but “salsas”. I.e. you have a range of ‘salsa sauces’ with a common base?

Alfredo sauce was another one I don't know.

What others?

First one is Worcester sauce.

No its Lea & Perrins, the REAL worcester sauce :4rofl:

And I'm going to confuse you even more over salsa's, until someone Mexican or who knows a lot about Mexican arrives.

My understanding of Salsa's are that they are sauce's or -sauces- that are made with raw veg, and aren't cooked.

This would certainly be my impression from Mexican restaraunts (and the Cool Chile Company... sooo good :))

Oh and I've had a dish, or whatever you call it, of dips at a Mexican Restaraunt with a cooked and another uncooked sauce... Both were described as different Salsas on the menu

Also theres a sauce missing, the under appreciated king of sauces :yay: Henderson's Relish! (Not that I'm biased because it's from Sheffield or anything)

:3lmao:

~Doom

P.S. Looking at the amount of threads you've made here in this section fo the forum, it almsot needs a Bondbug sub section ^^

Edited by TimOfDoom

Well, what can I do Tim. I can't get in to play Sacred on line, my manual has disappeared and I don't know my ref No., and I don't like to play WoW too much, it feels like treason. And I genuinely like pottering about in the forum, though I forget that other folks have less time and better things to do, and that there are time differences so I can't expect anything like immediate response, even from people in the same time zone.

And I, who call myself a Yorkshireman**, forgot Henderson's Relish. There were other Relishes too in the chip shops weren't there.

I write in the past tense because I left GB 12 years ago and a lot can change in that time.

**Left there before I was 2...nevertheless I am a Yorkshireman.

PS Can anyone tell us about Nam Pla which appears to be a fish sauce?

g030.gif I as you might imagine have some sauces on hand for my cooking. This little line up is just the hot sauce's mostly for indoor cooking. I use rubs 90% of the time on the BBQ

sauces.jpg

S'unbelievable! Would you by any chance classify these as Salsas Borg? (that's a serious question)

Item for my pocket vocabulary list...'rubs' for the BBQ...a word which I connect with athletes and horses, but very appropriate, perhaps as distinct from 'basting' ? (Serious question)

No kidding, I am finding my level of understanding greatly improved by reading in this forum (and that's a serious statement)

Edited by Bondbug

From my experience, Bondbug, salsa is generally what you have supposed - a tomato based item with onion, cilantro and peppers . It is almost universally served as a pre-meal appetizer in Mexican restaurants in the USA with what we call "chips", which are not English chips, but rather are flat, or nearly so, and made from corn meal or wheat (like tortillas) and are handy for "dipping" into the salsa.

Sometimes, salsa is also added to cooked items, such as a "wet" burrito, which typically has salsa and cheese spread over it before heating.

From my experience, Bondbug, salsa is generally what you have supposed - a tomato based item with onion, cilantro and peppers . It is almost universally served as a pre-meal appetizer in Mexican restaurants in the USA with what we call "chips", which are not English chips, but rather are flat, or nearly so, and made from corn meal or wheat (like tortillas) and are handy for "dipping" into the salsa.

Sometimes, salsa is also added to cooked items, such as a "wet" burrito, which typically has salsa and cheese spread over it before heating.

Tortilla chips is what they are known as over here. And finally a standard to apply to salsas

:)

~Doom

Item for my pocket vocabulary list...'rubs' for the BBQ.

A rub is usually a blend of dry herbs and spices that are rubbed over the meat before grilling. Normally you would also apply the rub a few hours before it hits the grill.

Edited by Lord of the North
S'unbelievable! Would you by any chance classify these as Salsas Borg? (that's a serious question)

I would call them hot sauces as they say on the bottle :bounce:

Item for my pocket vocabulary list...'rubs' for the BBQ...a word which I connect with athletes and horses, but very appropriate, perhaps as distinct from 'basting' ? (Serious question)

the double entendre's slay me! best stopped before I get warned for something like meat and juices flowing and rub and basting all in one sentence.

on a more serious side, in the video section of www.foodtv.com they have some cooking videos, might explain a few things. I think the neelys have some vids on bbq. they have so many shows on the channel here, not sure what the availability is worldwide for the station.

to me, salsa is the uncooked mix of tomato, onion, cilantro, peppers, habanero, jalapeno, etc that is used for dipping tortilla chips into. some people do make some that is cooked, just doesn't sound right but I have seen it in mexican restaurants run by actual mexicans. I recall right, there is also salsa that they would smother burritos with.

perhaps you might also know of green chile, a sort of cooked salsa with pork bits. super tasty, but al gore likes to complain about the subsequent greenshouse gas emisions causing global warming.

Wow by the time I got back to this thread there have been many response's and they are correct.

# Salsa (sauce), any of various sauces of Spanish, Italian or Latin American origin, from the Spanish or Italian word for sauce is the definition and sauce is a liquid used for marinating and basting as you cook. A dry rub is a seasoning the can be put on as you BBQ or up to 24 hours before to help season the food. Also as a rub it forms a nice crisp looking "crust" on meat

gogoribs.jpg

OK. Clear now. So why do so many folks posting there dishes here just refer to Salsa. Do they mean any salsa to suit your taste?

I forgot to mention Tabasco. Well known here.

tabasco-1.jpg

Then there is Harissa for couscous. Can't show a pic cos we make our own.

Edited by Bondbug

zomg, a gallon of tabasco. I currently have to get a coworker to buy me the habanero one where he lives, as I can't find it locally for some reason. I didn't even know their hot and spicy one existed, got to find it and try it.

didn't know they made sauce for couscous, just always put some olive oil in with it, lots of garlic and salt.

didn't know they made sauce for couscous, just always put some olive oil in with it, lots of garlic and salt.

Yes OK, that is the couscous base, but, like rice and all these other grain bases, the dish called Couscous is the couscous with a stew on it, and harissa is sprinkled (in small quantities) to hot things up. The 'stew' (in place of say a bolognaise sauce) is, I think, traditionally mutton with vegetables, but you can vary the mix to suit what you like and what is available. I once saw a sheep being chased along a street in Paris by the staff of an Algerian couscous restaurant. :cow_white: Couscous Royale has a mix of several meats in the stew.

The Harissa here comes in a tube or a tin, and you mix some with some stock from the stew to any strength of hotness you like. Try it sometime. If you can't find one I'll post a recipe. It is regarded here as a north african dish..Morocco, Algiers etc, and they should know cos that lot used to be part of their 'possessions'. :viking:

To be correct (!!) you should drink mint tea with it (yuck), but beer does very nicely, specially if the sauce you mix is spicy-hot :viking:

I'll try and do a photo tomorrow but Viv says the tube is rolled and almost empty.

had to google harissa, the wikepedia version of north african type looks like something I would like.

sheep being chased around sounds like a cowboy joke rofl

back to the salsa thing, might look up pico de gallo, very tasty stuff but less soupy than salsa. I like the tomato, onion, jalapeno and cilantro variety. work on this drilling rig, most of the guys were mexican gang member from new mexico, but they cooked very well.

Two more salsas from different areas:

WIndianChili.jpg

ThaiSweetChili.jpg

But I am beginning to get worried by this emphasis on hot sauces. They are fine for hot climates where the meat tends to be green and crawling by the time you get to eat it. I have relations from a hot climate (Kashmir) who eat only curries even in the north of GB. The result is that their palates are burnt out. They can't taste 'ordinary' food. So I worry that you lot are killing your taste buds.

Better Gogo's Bechamel, but that is, unfortunately (:)), not bottled.

How come I double post? Shaky old finger on the mouse? And I can't remember how to erase a post.

However:

trd "sheep being chased around sounds like a cowboy joke rofl".

No. It is true enough. They herded it eventually into the yard behind the restaurant where I was heading to eat. Can't remember whether I changed my mind or not!

Edited by Bondbug