Whos Going To Accept XP SP3?

fRACTAL

I noticed SP3 has appeared in a little "important update" bubble, and was wondering? Is anyone upgrading, is it worth it, and should I? Are there any downsides?

:4rofl:

~Doom

Considering MS's previous record and the fact when they bring out an upgrade it usually fixes something I don't use but messes up something I do use, it will probably be an icy cold day in Hellgate:London when I upgrade. After all, just how 'important' can it be if they have taken this long to bring it out?

Edited by podgie_bear

Other than some issues with certain AMD based OEM systems, I don't know about anyone having trouble after installing it.

It simply includes all fixes MS made in between SP2 and SP3... At least that's what I thought... :4rofl:

but the issue with amd systems is a bitch. I made the misfortune of accepting it and then had to use lord's puter to find the fix. This was just 2 weeks ago. I figured by now they would have "fixed" that but I guess the msc tech's needed more $$$ that the 5 minutes fix would bring from single puter families who couldnt research the issue on the net using a different computer

just rename intelppm.sys to xxxintelppm.syx and you will be fine. its in the system32 folder in the driver subfolder. You will need to do this in safe mode after update ('im not sure if the upgrade installs this so renaming before upgrade might not do it alone as the upgrade might just replace it) and then restart.

Once your system ISNT trying to load intel power mgmt on an AMD chip it should stop having a nervous breakdown and break the never ending reboot cycle. (you will have to manually shut the system off to reboot into safe mode from what I read)

But if you didnt research before hand or didnt have aanother system to check the internet for that little piece of info for a 2 min fix to the problem it would leave you with a probably over 50$ repair bill from the local ms certified software repair tech ... nice way to make a living...

Well SP3 will arriving on my computer later this evening.

I've already spent the past night downloading 264MB of windows updates so whats another 60 to me...

:o

~Doom

Considering the size of SP3 hasn't changed (its variable) the updates weren't part of it, plus when I downloaded them I still wasn't sure if I'd install SP3

:o

~Doom

Microsoft don't need help to **** up their own stuff...

First attempt at install, it didn't reach that stage just hit some error.

Second attempt, gets 2/3 of the way there then my USB drivers cause a BSOD, or apparentely its my USB...

system locks up 3 times restoring my previous settings, CHKDSK appeared once and my registry had to be recovered by windows...

Oh and because an old log of my registry was used for replacement, it broke my graphics card drivers again...

Fixed now but still!

I don't think I'll try again any time soon

:Just_Cuz_21:

~Doom