Sacred 2 - Guide Manager

Hi!

For the last few weeks, I've been working on a small program for Sacred 2. I called it : "Sacred 2 Guide Manager".

It's a tool that allows to create and follow guides for Sacred 2.

I am close to release my program, but before to release it, I would need someone who already created guides to try it.

I tested my program on my own, asked a friend to help me with bug finding, but now I need someone who knows about Guide Creation to try my program and tell me if it is simple and convenient.

After that, I really look forward sharing my little program here on FDM.

Max

Could you maybe explain a bit more how it'd work?

For the most part I'm not sure how much use it'd be to me at the very least, seeing as a guide is mostly text to write out, describing and explaining.

Could you maybe explain a bit more how it'd work?

For the most part I'm not sure how much use it'd be to me at the very least, seeing as a guide is mostly text to write out, describing and explaining.

Ok, basically it's a tool that will allow guide creators to create guides easily using the guide template I made (so nobody will get lost while reading the guide)

Guide creators will create guide like they normally do here :

-Describe the guide

-Choosinng skills and why

-Tell what combat art to use and how

-Tell what combo to use and how

-Tell what attributes to put points in

-Give tips about the guide

Guide followers will load a guide and will see all they need to know about the guide. When they level up, the program will tell them what skill they should pick, where to put the skill points and where to put the attributes points.

Max

This sounds good Max. What would suggest is taking or making one of the guides here and getting it going as as a demo. This would show and demonstrate the efficiency of your guide and convince others to use your template.

Going through the steps of what has been a guide in the past here...usuallly users just post a guide and that's it. The extra step you're asking for is to have them do it via template so that your tool could reference it and spin it out...correct?

For stuff like this the tool's interface will really help. Getting a few guides here that are already posted into your setup will help with getting this going for you, and let us see how the entire concept "meshes" together.

Good luck!

:)

gogo

Allright, took some screenshots while typing a guide posted here.

I took the 'Ranged Inquisitor' Guide by nokka.

Here are a few screens (I couldn't take a screen of everything) :

Skill window :

s2guidemanagerskillwindrh8.jpg

Combat Art window :

s2guidemanagercombatartsn4.jpg

Tips window :

s2guidemanagertipswindopp9.jpg

Guide Following window :

s2guidemanagerguidefollww8.jpg

The program saves Guides as XML files, and nokka's guide can be found HERE

Max

Edited by metal_max64

Very interesting Max. Looks like you have been very busy! Your timing is perfect too. I have a build I want to write and this tool might help me to write it. :)

Thanks for the feedback Schot.

Here's a link for you to try it. It's not the official 1.0 release, I just want people to tell me if the program is okay and convenient enough.

LINK

Please leave feedback if you download it!

Max

Edited by metal_max64

Sorry for the double post, but it's been two days since I put the link to download my program.

Since there has been no feedback, my question is : Has anybody download my program to try it?

Max

Sorry for the double post, but it's been two days since I put the link to download my program.

Since there has been no feedback, my question is : Has anybody download my program to try it?

Max

I've downloaded it, Max.

I'm currently working on a SW Guide using your program.

It's very handy sometimes.

Thanks,

Light.

I've downloaded it, Max.

I'm currently working on a SW Guide using your program.

It's very handy sometimes.

Thanks,

Light.

That's good to know! The next part of this project is almost ready.

Tell me when you're done with the guide.

Max

hey, it's not exactly feedback.. more like an idea, it would be cool if you could add a function where it is possible to add photos/Videos :) and thanks for the program

You're welcome. Hope you like my program. :)

This could be an interesting idea not too complicated to implement. I'm adding this to the list of things to add/modify for this whole project (because there is not only a program).

EDIT : @Erling : I've been thinking about your idea while trying to sleep last night. For the moment, you could host images/videos somewhere (like youtube, imageshack, etc.) and add the links as tips.

Max

Edited by metal_max64

For the moment, I just need to have feedback on my program (if there are bugs, crashes, if the program is convenient enough) so I can "release" the rest of the project (including a newer version of the program).

Max

Ok, I used it a little bit and have some feedback. Sorry if I'm sounding boring and technical Max. I wrote my observations very quickly and in point form. I do love this program you've created! I want to use it to complete my build. :)

General

First thing I notice is that I find the text a bit hard to read. If you could make the interface bigger and then larger text that would be great. Being able to maximize the window size could be nice as well.

Skill Tab

If I choose Ancient magic then change my mind and change it to some other skill Ancient Magic can no longer be found in the drop down list. This also happens with Concentration, Combat Discipline.

Combat Arts Tab

If I choose all 6 combat arts but then want to change them some of them cannot be changed. Only the 4th combat art drop down will let me choose a different CA.

Missing drop down Mods for the Combat Arts; Incandescent Skin, Grand Invigoration and Crystal Skin. All three Buffs.

A reset button for the CA Tab would be a great temporary solution.

Combo Tab

I am able to choose the same CA 4 times in a single combo. I don't think this is possible in game. Preventing duplicate CA in 1 combo would be helpful. Maybe with a popup tip that it can't be done.

Equipment Tab

When I push Add button a popup appears. The cancel button has no effect. Clicking the red X works.

Some builds will not rely on sets and instead buy all their equipment using Bargaining or may rely on drops/uniques or even quests that give certain equipment. Allowing notes in this tab would be a great addition.

Tips

A single tip is limited to a small number of allowed characters. 50 characters. I think it might work better if the table was removed and instead make the whole area a text field to type in. Cancel button on Add Tip also not functioning.

EDIT : @Erling : I've been thinking about your idea while trying to sleep last night. For the moment, you could host images/videos somewhere (like youtube, imageshack, etc.) and add the links as tips.

Max

oh sorry to keep you awake :)

I have also just downloaded it and am going to give it a go.

BTW I'm touched that you took my guide for your example. ^^

nat

Tried out and observed some small issues as well:

Saving:

Missing backslash (\) in saving: Saves as C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\foldernameAuthor's new guide (for example)

CA window:

Mod names missing for: Incandescent Skin, Grand Invigoration, maybe more...

Combo tab:

Only the first CA in the combo is listed in the 'Follow new Guide' window

Otherwise great work. Very user friendly.

I do also agree with Schot's idea about the 'Tips' section. And second his observations.

Also, the Skill chooser lists all skills, secondary and character-impossible alike.

And the combo maker lists all CAs, buff or not.

(These last two are minor, as no sane author would suggest taking a (temporarily) unallowable skill, or casting a buff in a combo.)

All in all, though, it's pretty good.

Edited by nokka

Thank you for the feedback guys! Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!

In the things that have been said, there are some things I effectibely need to correct, but there are some things that have been intended this way.

About Schot's post :

First thing I notice is that I find the text a bit hard to read. If you could make the interface bigger and then larger text that would be great.

Yeah, that's also one the first things one of my friends told me when I showed him the program. I'll make it bigger.

If I choose Ancient magic then change my mind and change it to some other skill Ancient Magic can no longer be found in the drop down list.

This was intended this way. This is the way I found to not allow the user to pick the same skill twice. This makes me realize that it's not the best way. I've just found a better way to do this.

If I choose all 6 combat arts but then want to change them some of them cannot be changed.

I've been doing this the same way as the skills, in order to prevent duplicates. I'll change this.

Only the 4th combat art drop down will let me choose a different CA.

Only the 4th one? None of the drop downs is supposed to let you choose. Like I said, I'll change this.

Missing drop down Mods for the Combat Arts; Incandescent Skin, Grand Invigoration and Crystal Skin. All three Buffs.

Sorry about this. I just noticed it. It was a copy/paste mistake I made. It has already been fixed.

A reset button for the CA Tab would be a great temporary solution.

There is already a reset button ^^

I am able to choose the same CA 4 times in a single combo. I don't think this is possible in game.

My bad, I thought it was possible. I must admit I haven't really tried the combos in the game. I'll prevent the duplicates.

When I push Add button a popup appears. The cancel button has no effect. Clicking the red X works.

Also my bad. It has been fixed.

Allowing notes in Equipment tab would be a great addition.

Do you mean like the tips or do you mean another type of equipment (other than Equipment/Item Modifier)?

I think it might work better if the table was removed and instead make the whole area a text field to type in.

I've been thinking about this one for a few days now. I think it will be more convenient for everyone if I do the Tips section this way.

Edited by metal_max64

Sorry for the double post, the forum is not letting me quote that many things.

About nokka's post:

Missing backslash (\) in saving: Saves as C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\foldernameAuthor's new guide (for example)

Does it cause the program to crash?

Mod names missing for: Incandescent Skin, Grand Invigoration, maybe more...

The High Elf buffs have been fixed, I'll go through all of them again to see if there are more.

This one is a bit weird...I'll test it on my side.

Also, the Skill chooser lists all skills, secondary and character-impossible alike.

This is not supposed to happen. I built the skill list for every class seperately, so every skill in the list normally belongs to the class.

And the combo maker lists all CAs, buff or not.

This is something that will be fixed.

As you can see, I've been reading all your feedback with great attention, and I will fix as much as I can the points you told me.

Once again thanks for all the feedback.

After this, I think I will be ready to "release" the 1.0 version of my program.

Max

Sorry!

False alarm.

The skill lists don't show character impossible skills. Only "problem" is the secondary skills being allowed to be picked at level 1.

And no, the missing backslash doesn't cause a crash. It just means the file "Mad Natter's Supremacy Inquisitor" meant to be saved in the folder "guides" on the desktop will be saved ON the desktop as "guidesMad Natter's Supremacy Inquisitor".

Just inconvenient. Not fatal. ;)

And in the 7.0.4(2) (not in 7.0.4) the Level Up sequence names no skill in the Skill Placement window. Even though there were 10 points in every available skill. (That had been the problem in 7.0.4: I had made a test character with no skill placement (1pt/skill) and the window named no skill.)

BTW I see you got the mod names off the Wiki. Some of them are a bit off: e.g.

Inquisitor's Ruthless Mutilation Bronze mod "Lire" is actually "Ire" (has recently been corrected on the Wiki page)

High Elf's Blazing Tempest Silver mod "Stream of Spell" is "Spell Flow" ingame.

There are definitely a number of others. (At most 538 others ^^)

Glad you're keeping up.

nat

Edited by nokka

@nokka :

Only "problem" is the secondary skills being allowed to be picked at level 1.

I am aware of this, but I decided to keep it this way since it's not very important if you pick secondary skills or not while creating a guide.

And no, the missing backslash doesn't cause a crash. It just means the file "Mad Natter's Supremacy Inquisitor" meant to be saved in the folder "guides" on the desktop will be saved ON the desktop as "guidesMad Natter's Supremacy Inquisitor".

It has been fixed.

And in the 7.0.4(2) (not in 7.0.4) the Level Up sequence names no skill in the Skill Placement window. Even though there were 10 points in every available skill. (That had been the problem in 7.0.4: I had made a test character with no skill placement (1pt/skill) and the window named no skill.)

I'm working on a solution for this.

Inquisitor's Ruthless Mutilation Bronze mod "Lire" is actually "Ire" (has recently been corrected on the Wiki page)

High Elf's Blazing Tempest Silver mod "Stream of Spell" is "Spellflow" or "Spell Flow" ingame.

These two have been fixed.

EDIT :

I tested it on my side by creating several guides with various combos in them, and this case happened to me only once. It worked well the rest of the time. I'll keep an eye on this.

Glad you're keeping up.

Well, thanks. On the several little programs I made, this one is the first one I decide to "release" for the public. So I listen to everybody's suggestions/ideas/criticism.

Max

Edited by metal_max64

I re-downloaded your link. Is it up to date?

I test-created-and-saved a guide and it was still saving wrong, but for the first time, the problem with the combo display was gone.

So, is that link the uppest-to-date?

nat

I re-downloaded your link. Is it up to date?

I test-created-and-saved a guide and it was still saving wrong, but for the first time, the problem with the combo display was gone.

So, is that link the uppest-to-date?

nat

No, for the moment it is not up to date. At the moment, I'm just doing a little something with the program, and later tonight, I'll release the 1.0 version of the project and the rest of the project.

Max

• 5 months later...

Was looking at this program and it sounds great. But the link to it is bad. I tryed to locate it but I keep getting a 404 not found message. Anyone able to help?