Advice on maybe a new computer

Genenut

Was playing in new egg and put this together on a wish list.

MSI P35 Neo-F LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

MSI P35 Neo-F LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Model #:P35 Neo-F

Item #:N82E16813130095

Return Policy:Limited 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock

$84.99 -$5.00 Instant $79.99

HIS Hightech H485FN512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

HIS Hightech H485FN512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Model #:H485FN512P

Item #:N82E16814161259

Return Policy:Standard Return Policy

In Stock

Mail-in Rebate

$149.99 -$10.00 Instant $139.99

2 A-DATA 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16

A-DATA 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16 - Retail

Model #:ADQVE1B16

Item #:N82E16820211272

Return Policy:Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock

$23.99 $47.98

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

Model #:BX80570E8400

Item #:N82E16819115037

Return Policy:Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

In Stock

$164.99 $164.99

COOLMAX V-500 500W ATX Power Supply

COOLMAX V-500 500W ATX Power Supply - Retail

Model #:V-500

Item #:N82E16817159062

Return Policy:Standard Return Policy

In Stock

Mail-in Rebate

$34.99 -$10.00 Instant $24.99

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model SH-S222L

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model SH-S222L - OEM

Model #:SH-S222L

Item #:N82E16827151176

In Stock

$23.49 $23.49

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Model #:WD2500AAJS

Item #:N82E16822136113

In Stock

$47.99 $47.99

Subtotal: $529.42

Is everything on this list compatible with each other and whats the difference between regular versions of windows and the "system builders" editions? Did I forget anythin? I dont need a monitor (have 21inch crt at the moment thats just fine) and I dont need speakers, keyboard or mouse and if it has on board sound thats fine too since through headphones you dont get any more from a separate card than you do on board sound...

Will this run Sacred 2 at medium or higher with all the bits and bobs turned on at 40fps or better?

Im thinking of what I want to spend part of our tax refund on ....

Thanks in advance ...

nice setup, great price.

I'm just guessing (as I havnt had personal experience with new hardware and FPS benchmarks) but I would say your going to get Sacred 2 to run maxed out at around 40FPS.

I say "around" 40FPS cause some ppl (with faster set ups than that) still report the game bringing their system to its knees around some areas of the game (like the coast, it seems to be something to do with that beautiful water effect)

I'm NOT the biggest tech head in these forums tho so you should wait to hear some more feedback.

Also, the E8400 is apparently very overclockable, if you choose to go down that road.

System Builder, or OEM Windows means you get zero support from Microsoft. It is intended for manufacturers like Dell or other "system builders" to install and resell. They then supply support to their customers. If you are buying for yourself, unless you are a Windows guru, I STRONGLY recommend spending the extra bucks and getting the retail Windows. I consider myself an expert, and I bought the retail version.

Is your 500W power supply going to be enough for that system? Running the newer, super graphics cards really takes a lot of juice. I figured a minimum of 600W, and actually purchased a 750W supply.

I'm not familiar with the speeds that cpu comes in, but unless 3.0GHz is the top speed, I would not seriously consider overclocking as a reasonable approach. My reasoning is that all the chips are made the same. The reason some are "slower" is that they fail the higher speed testing, but only minimally, so they are clocked down and retested. Hence anything but the fastest has failed at least one test at any higher speeds. On the top end, though, the sky is the limit.

Disks are cheap, too. I'd get a bigger one. Spend another $30 and double the size. It's amazing how fast software installs eat up disk space.

What about a case? Unless you plan to cannibalize your present system, you'll need a box to put all that into. Get one with good ventilation. Bigger fans spin slower to move the same amount of air, and are therefore quieter.

Living out in the sticks as you do, I would get a UPS too. Make sure it's enough to handle your setup. Those power strip style surge suppressors just don't cut it anymore.

System Builder, or OEM Windows means you get zero support from Microsoft. It is intended for manufacturers like Dell or other "system builders" to install and resell. They then supply support to their customers. If you are buying for yourself, unless you are a Windows guru, I STRONGLY recommend spending the extra bucks and getting the retail Windows. I consider myself an expert, and I bought the retail version.

Is your 500W power supply going to be enough for that system? Running the newer, super graphics cards really takes a lot of juice. I figured a minimum of 600W, and actually purchased a 750W supply.

I'm not familiar with the speeds that cpu comes in, but unless 3.0GHz is the top speed, I would not seriously consider overclocking as a reasonable approach. My reasoning is that all the chips are made the same. The reason some are "slower" is that they fail the higher speed testing, but only minimally, so they are clocked down and retested. Hence anything but the fastest has failed at least one test at any higher speeds. On the top end, though, the sky is the limit.

Disks are cheap, too. I'd get a bigger one. Spend another $30 and double the size. It's amazing how fast software installs eat up disk space.

What about a case? Unless you plan to cannibalize your present system, you'll need a box to put all that into. Get one with good ventilation. Bigger fans spin slower to move the same amount of air, and are therefore quieter.

Living out in the sticks as you do, I would get a UPS too. Make sure it's enough to handle your setup. Those power strip style surge suppressors just don't cut it anymore.

I agree with some of your points, but not all :)

OS: you're spot on, but so far we've never had to contact MS in the 15 years we've been having Windows, so...

PSU: the wattage on the one Dawn selected is enough. Don't go crazy on a PSU, the bigger it is compared to your system, the more inefficient it will run. A 500 Watt model would be enough for sure. Though I would choose for a more well-known brand like Cooler Master, just to be sure it's a good performer. I have almost the same model (the 460 Watt version) and it's quiet and holds up nicely :) 750 Watt is definitely overkill for your PC. Graphics card manufacturers take in account the crappy PSU's as well when they get their requirements, and use a top using system to get their recommended PSU's. ATI recommends a PSU of 450 Watt for the 4850. The Cooler Master 500 Watt I chose will be rock solid, amps will suffice as well :)

CPU: the 8400 can do 4GHz pretty easily from what I've seen, and it's a solid performer on 3GHz.

HDD: I'd get a bigger one too, but just because they're cheap. :o Up to you!

Case: gial is spot on there.

UPS: no idea :)

Edited by Timotheus

I had a case on the list, must not have copied when I highlighted everything...

My cuurent computer has a 160 gb drive in it and I havent used 1/2 of it. Thats with GW, oblivion, and quake 3 with lots of add on stuff in it and COD 1&2 ... I run lean systems in terms of disk space. I figure the 250gb will do me fine and if not and I need more room I'll just add another drive on. I have a nice protector I dont skimp on them. It has a warrenty for replacement if anything gets fried ... UPS is overkill for me.

Last time I called MS for support was add on software that had disabled itself (early form of secure rom) and even MS couldnt override the lockout... I had a nice set of coasters then ( MS Sheduler back when win95 had just come out) Otherwise I use knowledge support articles and try to not mess with things... *lol*. Last issue I had was SP3 and the internet had more info on how to get around it on an amd system than MS did... But the difference between retail and system builders is whether I build my own or buy a pre built and upgrade...

It all seems alot more confusing since the last time I tried to put a system together ....More choices and speeds... *lol* I feel like a noob again..

Dawn, delighted to see this list...me and brad have been talking about you and Todd now all the time for the new kamikaze's. Ahh, that tax return...I've got mine coming too, and especially love this time of the year for it.

The pricing you got is great. I love new egg, they have sweet prices and I've heard nothing but great things about their customer support which I'm a stickler for.

Great news, and looking forward to hooking up again!

:P

gogo

well as I have yet to actually fill out my taxes (but I know how much we should get back) it might be upwards of 4-6 weeks before I can think about buying the parts and then it would only be me... Todd is saving his pennies for a new car as his truck is getting close to the it wont pass inspection ever stage (body rust is the mortal enemy of all vehicles up here due to the salt from the snow ..) so we have to think of replacing it in the next year or two ... But I am seriously considering getting a new puter myself this year.

The door was open ...thought I would dash in......

PSU: the wattage on the one Dawn selected is enough.

so long as you don't want to get a second HD 4850 and run them in Crossfire.

...........quickly exits. bolt.gif

The door was open ...thought I would dash in......
PSU: the wattage on the one Dawn selected is enough.

so long as you don't want to get a second HD 4850 and run them in Crossfire.

...........quickly exits. bolt.gif

Is there a less $$ option than the 4850 that when run cross fire would give the same or better performance as a single 4850? Or should I look at nvidia cards instead of ati? Otherwise a 2nd 4850 will have to wait a while (over a year) and then I can always upgrade the power supply at the same time.

Can you crossfire different cards? I seem to recall with SLI (nVidia's counterpart) that they need to be the same to be effective. Maybe I read things wrong . . . it has happened before.

And for $50, I would not go OEM on the OS. Even if I never need MS support, the $$ are well spent imho.

Ah yes for SLI I do believe that to be true but on the Crossfire front I think it's a few steps ahead with regards to mix and match. I believe Crossfire achieved this mixing of cards since the release of 38XX cards some years, year?, ago. Since that time, as noted in above linked article, ATI drivers have been optimized to allow mix and match cards in a Crossfire setup. I do believe this only appies to 38XX and 48XX cards. ;)

And for $50, I would not go OEM on the OS. Even if I never need MS support, the $$ are well spent imho.

Just curious as to why. I had considered adding OEM vista to my build and may still sneak it in when the wife is not looking.

the diff between oem vista 64 bit and retail is closer to 150$ which is the cost of a video card or more. Last time I called MS support was prior to 1998 as I had to call from Japan ...

my BIL is IT mgr for an online company and my sis is a programmer... I can probably get better and faster support from them than I can from MS ...

Edited by Genenut

Very rarely MS is needed for a call Windows is not that bad and im an MCP for xp studying for my MCTS right now. The average home user should never need to call microsoft (Im sorry Qial I have found most of your info you have given so far in every other topic very spot on just so you know!) and if there is ever a problem that cant be fixed nothing a reinstallation of windows wont fix. And even then you can always post here!!