CM Patch 1.60 Hotfix

I guess this is supposed to fix this:

Using weapon-based combat arts in melee should no longer make the character run around in circles trying to reach a target that's already in range.

This fix leads to a new problem: All combat arts which are meant to affect opponents in melee range now do not work properly, because the opponents can now use melee attacks from outside the range of the combat art (examples are the deathly spears and the derogate mod of the temple guardian's T-energy shroud). Is there an easy way to fix the ranges of such combat arts?

59 minutes ago, winston said:

I guess this is supposed to fix this:

This fix leads to a new problem: All combat arts which are meant to affect opponents in melee range now do not work properly, because the opponents can now use melee attacks from outside the range of the combat art (examples are the deathly spears and the derogate mod of the temple guardian's T-energy shroud). Is there an easy way to fix the ranges of such combat arts?

Just checked using the Du'rach, as test subjects - they are definitely within striking distance of both the Deathly Spears and the T-energy shield's Degorate mod. What opponents did you have problems with?

Best easy to check is to check the coded range and/or fight distance of the combat arts in question. If less than 65, then it will indeed be outside the new melee range.

@dimitrius154

Can you please make this mod enabler ready and not just a loose file?

• The topic was pinned
25 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

I've confirmed Wnston's input. Rectifying the problem should not take too long.

Are you increasing the ca range or decreasing weapon distance? Weapons could probably go down to 50 or 55.

5 minutes ago, winston said:

What do I need to do to test it?

In spells.txt: replace all instances of "fightdistance = 35.000000" and "fightdistance = 65.000000" with "fightdistance = 45.000000"

In typification.txt: replace all instances of "fightdistance = 35.000000"(shouldn't be any) and "fightdistance = 65.000000" with "fightdistance = 45.000000"

Is it safe to keep playing with the new typification.txt , as ive noticed it might need tweaking. or should I find the old one and replace it.

note: playing seraphin for 25+ hrs on 1.60 and no freezing,. before I knew exactly when it was going to freeze by jumping around the map to much or playing for over 2hrs. what is this magic dust you found to put in sacred 2 lol...

I tested weapon-based combat arts, but to be honest, I really cannot say, whether changing the fightingdistance parameter changes anything or not. Is there any way to consistently reproduce the running-around-in-circles behaviour?

Why are the fighting distances in typification.txt changed, anyway? This should only apply to normal attacks, right? I would expect that only the fighting distances in spells.txt have any influence on the behaviour of the character while executing a weapon-based combat art. (Ranged weapons are a slight weakness in my theory, though, does the game use the maximum of the two fighting distances?)

27 minutes ago, winston said:

Is there any way to consistently reproduce the running-around-in-circles behaviour?

Attacking groups of 3-5 hostiles in melee should do the trick, at least occasionally.

28 minutes ago, winston said:

Why are the fighting distances in typification.txt changed, anyway?

The have an immediate effect on all melee attacks with said weapons, either normal, or CA. The running-in-circles is the result of a primitive pathfinding coupled with bounding box collision calculations.

Attacking groups of opponents is just what I did, so I guess my test were inconclusive. I did not see a significant difference in the behavour of my characters between the fighting distances in the original spells.txt and typification.txt (I.e. 65 for weapon-based player-character combat arts and 35 for other combat arts and normal attacks) and uniform fighting distances of 45, 50 and 55.

I am not sure that the problem can be resolved with adjusting the fighting distance, because it seems to be caused by obstacles which the character has to run around to reach the target of his attack and I cannot see how a higher fighting distance can help with that. (I would not mind to be wrong, though, because this behaviour is quite annoying.)

24 minutes ago, winston said:

. I did not see a significant difference in the behavour

Chars will keep going around adjacent hostiles because of the bounding box collision, it's unavoidable. What's fixable, is the melee attack against the target itself.  In vanilla, the attempt to attack a target in melee would, occasionally, result in the following: instead of striking the target the char would start running around it in circles.

Ah, I see. I had wrong expectations in what has been fixed, it seems. In my tests (about one to two hours ingame time) all initiated attacks were executed, I had no case of my character running around without attacking (regardless of the value fightingdistance). But, nevertheless, I definitely observed this behaviour while playing with the CM Patch 1.60 installed (maybe two or three times within four to five hours playing characters who use weapon-based combat arts).

41 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

You mean, without the hotfix in this thread, correct?

Yes, correct.

34 minutes ago, Flix said:

It's very easy to replicate this bug. Let yourself get swarmed, and right click an enemy that's a little further back in the bunch.

I did this during my tests, but couldn't replicate the bug. Maybe it already occurs rare enough without the hotfix.

What were the original values of fightingdistance before 1.60? The same as in 1.60 without the hotfix?