Chain Quest Page Format

Few days ago I added a new chain-quest to the wiki (called Ephraim's Nightmare) and I'm currently working to add another one (The Undead Legion). When I first made a quest walkthrough for the wiki I used the wiki quest template to keep format with existing pages (that's its purpose!), and now I'm wondering if the same should be done with chain-quests. I've seen there are three types of pages for chain-quests:

-First three pages (plus the last, made by me in the same format) in the list are similar: precise, short and simple format: "This is a chain-quest, it's made of these quests, and it starts here".

-Then, there is the x-mas chain-quest which hasn't got even a presentation page, nor is divided in quests. It's all data in a page together.

-Finally, there is "The Third Sacrifice", which has a small presentation page with basic data (which quests there are inside, and a quick walkthrough), and you can go to its quests from the links up there.

IMHO all pages should have a similar format, so a template could be a nice tool for newly created pages. I wanted to note it now, because there are still few pages there. And I'm about to start the Undead Legion chain-quest and I just didn't know how to start it... I think I'll copy "The Third Sacrifice" format for it.

What do you think? It would be worthy a template for it? Should all pages have similar formats?

Edited by Zeno

I was just looking at this and think we should follow the in-game logbook instead of having a separate section for chain quests. We get into a discussion then of what constitutes a chain quest, which is a series quest and what is a stand-alone quest. How many quests needed to be considered a Chain etc.....For quests that have multiple parts we should have main header that will show entire quest ..I'll try to explain :yay: Using the quest Ghost Village for example it has 3 parts called A Long Lost Letter, Following Orders and Forgotten Valleys. Plus someone will generally look for what area he found it in rather than what type of quest it is.

the layout could look like this

The Ghost Village.....................(clicking here brings up all 3 sub quests)

* A Long Lost Letter..................(clicking on one of these 3 will bring up same page but center on applicable quest)

* Following Orders

* Forgotten Valleys

Just my thoughts on it

edit...thinking more on it....we wouldn't need to link header...just link each part of quest to it's own page.....would make it easier

Was going to help, with list anyways, of all the quests I've done but wanted to clarify this before doing it

Edited by Knuckles

Well I thought I was certain about how this should go until a few moments ago when I understood what you were saying Knuckles. Took me a few mins to see it, heh. Initially I think/thought that Zeno's suggestion of following "The Third Sacrifice" layout would be the most simple and efficient. Knuckles' suggestion though would appeal to the readers who want to see a quest all laid out on a single page with regards to chains. An entire chain quest on a single page could run us into problems with the very long ones though. Load times may become somewhat long. What I would suggest is to do both. Start with the layout that "The Third Sacrifice" uses and once that is done then the various parts of a chain could be copy/pasted into a single page comprising the entire chain and then add a link to the full chain page on the "The Third Sacrifice" style page. The link to the full page chain quest could be a link in the header.

I can make a template like that if that seems like a good idea. If there is anything you'd like me to include as part of the Chain Quest template feel free to let me know. If not then I can get started with what I've suggested right away. :)

p.s.

If I end up doing it the way I'm suggesting then I'll make two templates. A "Chain Quest" template and a "Full Chain Quest" template.

Uhm, I like the idea, despite it can produce large pages as you say (f.I. undead legion, 15 quests in the chain!). It's only some copy&paste, so it isn't a hard work. Only a couple of things I wanted to say/ask: first, should single-quests which are part of a chain quest appear in the "side quest" list? I think they shouldn't (some do, that's why I say this). And second, we should think of splitting the chain-quest list (quests page) in chapters (not now, but when it's becoming longer). Maybe we could even take away those lists (quests, chains, ...) to specific pages instead of having all them listed in the same page; that makes more sense when they become specially long.

Another idea I have (which can be included in the template) is to split the full-chain-quest page detailded walkthrough into single quest titles, so they apperar in the TOC; that would make the full article more readable/accessible. Moreover, these titles could link to the specific quest, but that's not necessary/important now.

should single-quests which are part of a chain quest appear in the "side quest" list?

Nope. That shouldn't be happening. :)

For the second part of your post that is exactly what we would like to do. When we first began the page it was just that we didn't have much info on quests but now that our quest page is beginning to grow somewhat large we can start thinking about moving lists to their own pages as you suggest and even organize by chapter. Definitely well worth the effort. :)

As for "TOCing" the quest titles I'll see about implementing that into the template and linking the titles will be no problem at all.

I like yer style Zeno. Awesome work you're doing. :)

should single-quests which are part of a chain quest appear in the "side quest" list?

Nope. That shouldn't be happening. :)

Ok, my pages are now corrected.

For the second part of your post that is exactly what we would like to do. When we first began the page it was just that we didn't have much info on quests but now that our quest page is beginning to grow somewhat large we can start thinking about moving lists to their own pages as you suggest and even organize by chapter. Definitely well worth the effort. :)

As for "TOCing" the quest titles I'll see about implementing that into the template and linking the titles will be no problem at all.

Superb! I'm looking forward to see that template! But don't hurry! :D

I like yer style Zeno. Awesome work you're doing. :)

Only if there weren't over 600 quests... :)

I was thinking that the Chain Quest area should also be divided up by the different chapters just like the side quest area is. That way it'd be easy for people in narrowing quests down to a certain part of the game.

Absolutely agree. Maybe not necessary yet, but will be as the listing will grow. Actually I think I suggested this (or something similar) somewhere in this post...

Even with that might not be enough: I don't discard the possibility of creating a specific page for side quest listing, and another for chain-quest listing. But this could have sense if the listings grew really huge; still a long way to go.

The good thing is that listings are just links, and moving them to new pages or reorganising them is just a copy & paste matter. Actually I'm much more worried about images organisation in photobucket, where a change won't be possible in a few months (that would mean changing all image links and ... :) )

(that would mean changing all image links and ... :) )

lol Scaaaaaary. ^^

Just a quick hello as I run off to work. :blush: I haven't had a lot of time the past week but I'll have a close look at our quest setup this week and see if I can tidy it up as well as supply those templates.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Huh...

*was following, then got a little lost in one of Schot's posts* 8D;;

So, do we think we could divide the main quest page into smaller more specified quest pages? (Ie., main quest listing, character specific quests listing, side quests listing)

Yes, that's the idea: changing the quests page to a proxy page with links to four new pages:

• Campaign Quests
  • Side Quests
  • Chain Quests
  • Character Specific Quests

Moreover, the current quest page may include a little explanation on these different types of quests. I'll make some tests and show you things soon :viking:

Besides, I've just had a new idea: what about adding them to a new category named simply "quest". That would provide a full list of quests, no matter which type is it, and automatically linked to whatever the page is named and placed. So categories would provide us a light campaign quest list, a shadows campaign quest list, a side quest list, a chain quest list, a character quest list, and a full list of all quests in the game. Do you think it's worthy?

Cheers,

Zeno

Besides, I've just had a new idea: what about adding them to a new category named simply "quest". That would provide a full list of quests, no matter which type is it, and automatically linked to whatever the page is named and placed. So categories would provide us a light campaign quest list, a shadows campaign quest list, a side quest list, a chain quest list, a character quest list, and a full list of all quests in the game. Do you think it's worthy?

I don't quite follow x:

But I do like your listed idea, and the explanation of quest categories on the same page :3

Edited by JaguarGal

@JaguarGel. Zeno is talking about this, when you open up a category it shows a list like that one. Since we've just been listing the quest under their respective categories, there isnt a place where you could view every quest at once. Adding each of the quest to a 2nd category called 'quest' would put all 600+ quest into one list if someone opened that category up.

Yes, that's the idea: changing the quests page to a proxy page with links to four new pages:

• Campaign Quests
  • Side Quests
  • Chain Quests
  • Character Specific Quests

Moreover, the current quest page may include a little explanation on these different types of quests. I'll make some tests and show you things soon :P

I've just built this structure. You can take a look on it at the wiki. You can access the different pages by clicking the links at the top of the Quests page.

I've blocked the Quests page so no new links are added to the old listing page. I'll keep an eye on it to ensure new links are added to the correct pages etc.

Hope you like it! If so, I'll proceed to build up an explanation on the main Quest page and remove all listings from there.

Btw, can someone explain me the difference between Class Specific Side Quests and Blue Chain Quest Lines:) Should they be the same:)

Cheers,

Zeno

So, I was thinking about converting the older chain quest guides over to the layout that the Undead Legion quest uses, just to have them all looking the same.

Yes, you are right... that was the original purpose of this topic! :D

Anyway, I haven't any hurry into doing this, as there is still very few chain-quests in the wiki, and this is a section which will grow slowly. Maybe I will change the layout when I finish the Quests page reorganisation, and after asking for a couple more of opinions on it. Even I could make a template for it... :cry:

Cheers,

Zeno :)

Just checking if that was the current layout to use for chain guides before I start writing several up.

Curious about one other thing as well on the tutorial quests. When you click on any of them, it goes to a seperate page explainly that it appears as a chain quest, but actually isnt. Then requires a 2nd click to go to the walkthrough.

Wouldn't it be better to forget the 1st page it goes to and just have the link go straight to the walkthrough like all the other quest.

Edited by Slayer89

Where do the deity quests go?

And there are blue quests that are one offs that aren't related to the main class quest. There is one near the monolith close to the 1st portal just above the Monastery of Light for the Shadow Warrior and one in the copper peaks for the inquisitor. These aren't Deity quests as they are there everytime I play a SW.

And I will compare my quest listings as I am sure I do more than the amount showing as chapter 1.

Also, how is Pesky Pirates a chain quest if it only has 2 parts? There are tons of quests with that many parts...

Where do the deity quests go?

And there are blue quests that are one offs that aren't related to the main class quest. There is one near the monolith close to the 1st portal just above the Monastery of Light for the Shadow Warrior and one in the copper peaks for the inquisitor. These aren't Deity quests as they are there everytime I play a SW.

And I will compare my quest listings as I am sure I do more than the amount showing as chapter 1.

Also, how is Pesky Pirates a chain quest if it only has 2 parts? There are tons of quests with that many parts...

Chapter 1 is by no means completed, there are tons and tons of more quest there.

As for the Pesky Pirates, I think the PC version list it as a chain quest.

I agree with Slayer. Chapter 1 is uncomplete. There are lots of quests missing.

Pesky Pirates is a chain quest in PC version. And there are lots and lots of two-parts chain quest (and some three-parts). That's the way they did it... I do not like it, but what else... :)

Anyway, if I ever get installed an english version of the game I'll take a general look to all them. What I'm sorry is about deity and character specific quests; they're absolutely out of my control... I've played veeeery few single player; most of the time MP campaing and free mode. And since there are some accepted bugs regarding blue chain quests (specially with shadow warrior ones, which is my main char), I decided long time ago blue missions suck (sorry) and didn't play any... maybe in the future I change my mind about it, who knows...

I'll try to get the main quest page finished this afternoon (finally some free time!) :)

Cheers,

Zeno :o

Does the PC version give a name to the Chain Quests, cause in the Xbox version I've yet to see a name for the chain itself.

Oh yes, in PC version it does. The chain quest has a name itself, and then all part quest inside have their own name. Just look at any logbook screenshot in any chainquest wiki page, and you will see the chain-quest title and below the list of part quests into it (f.I. the undead legion chain quest, or ephrahim's nightmare).

Cheers,

Zeno :)

Say I have a character with 570 quests done and I have a text document with all the dark side quests for chapter 1 & 2 written out (with links), how do I attach it to this thread so it can be used by other people with more time than me to add names of quests to the wiki?

I was going to do all the quests but after 13 pages just for the 1st two chapters, I need a break :)