Can we produce the Physical DOT ourselves?

Hey guys

I'm just putting together a Damage Types page on wiki. And the tricky one seems to be Physical. Word out there is that Physical can produce a DOT.

Cthulhu says that spiders in the swamp are actually doing physical DOT damage... can we inflict this on enemies ourselves?

Has anyone tested this is it true?

For example, if I don't socket an element in my wep...will I get the Physical DOT manifesting?

Does just not socketing an element produce a DOT?

And what is it's strength v.s. the other DOTS... is it something to consider actually as a competition for elemental damage?

And if we can't produce the DOT is the only thing that really defines the Physical damage type, the absence of all others?

:)

gogo

You're right, I think it's wounds. I posted this at the SIF

http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/sho...ead.php?t=61857

And Rooster has responded back :

The physical DOT is wounds.

It is based of the amount of physical damage on the weapon that inflicted the status.

Socketing elements into a weapon, like 'convert xx to xx' will actually lower the physical DOT of wounds, as the weapon then carries less physical damage.

Cheers.

To which I responded:

Ahh, was hoping you'd catch this rooster.

First off, which of the wounds does phys damage enhance?

Open Wounds, Serious Open Wounds, Deep Wounds. Deadly Wounds.

Is there one in particular, or does it affect the entire family?

Rooster have you ever considered leaving a wep with pure phys damage to keep the phys DOT?

smile.gif

gogo

And to which he responded:

I have, but then you got like a useless slot :/ I wish there was actually no slot weapons just for this, once I knew this is how it worked.

I believe the only wound that is an actual DoT is the open wounds. The other wounds mods aren't even DoT's at all, but reductions to the critters max hp, varying by % and duration for the severity.

Serious open wounds might be a DoT too, with the additional 20% or so max hp reduction. Deep, deadly etc I don't even think have a DOT, just the reductions.

Its too bad its only a "chance" to inflict open wounds and I would assume that diminishing returns would be in effect just like deathblow. also with almost every mob in the game having physical armor, I dont know if it would be an extremely viable way to go for damage

I don't see it being as useful as element mods...simply because it's easier to do...all you do is not socket, and there, you have it.

I'm curious about seeing the chance to inflict this kind of DOT though. Have you or anyone else here seen it as a stat in sigma?

:)

gogo

On PC, we can press "F" key for our inventory and then pass cursor over the funny looking symbol just below the money bag, above the helmet.

By doing that, it spits out all the stats on our character.

sigma.jpg

Do you guys have this on console?

:butcher:

gogo

When we look at overview (from the Right bumper options wheel) we get an option to press right bumper again and it opens up a details tab exact same info just no sigma :butcher:

IIRC, you can also cause open wounds via physical damage spells, since the likes of knockback can be procced by spells.

Try getting a decent % of Open Wounds & then using Incendiary Shower (with the physical damage mod), lots of meteors = lots of chances to proc OW (and good physical damage, IIRC).

Edit: Now that's an interesting idea for a build...

Noob question DOT:) whats the acronym mean Damage on target? just guessing and gog yes we have it on the console all we have to do though is hit r1 on our character status page the one that tell you how much experience you need to level up and such

Noob question DOT:) whats the acronym mean Damage on target? just guessing and gog yes we have it on the console all we have to do though is hit r1 on our character status page the one that tell you how much experience you need to level up and such

Damage Over Time :viking:

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

We just did some testing.

This is pretty interesting.

If you actually have something on you with open wounds, in your game you will see the DOT listed under your secondary damage effects. This is actually the first time I've ever noticed this...and it's interesting that they're making this connection tween an item mod and secondary damage effects.

It's like you need to socket wounds to get this secondary damage effect...and/or the element in your weapon to "trigger" the other four.

With only one ring on, the chance to inflict was exactly the same as was on the ring...though I expect diminishing returns.

Rooster posted in my sif thread some good points. If we socket an element, the damage from wounds would go down. I'm thinking I agree...and that the chance to inflict would only increase if you were able to have more "wounds" on.

:viking:

By keeping the wep as a pure phys wep, we could probably get some outstanding results with the physical dot.

We would get less damage if we socketed another element within the weapon re: physical dot, because a percentage of the physical damage is being replaced by the other element ^^

You need a socketed element to get a starter chance via weapon for any other Detrimental Effect other than physical DoT.

But you need the mod for the physical DoT to get triggered.

Llama, I'm guessing the shower are doing phys damage?

gogo

hmmm

do you have anything wounds you can socket?

Could you then check to see if your secondary damage shows the dot?

And... you sher spells will trigger the physical dot via the socketed wounds?

:viking:

gogo

With only one ring on, the chance to inflict was exactly the same as was on the ring...though I expect diminishing returns.

I'm trying to follow this thread, and the reference here to "diminishing returns" confuses me. Can't you just pump your percentage chance to 100% and have the ability trigger constantly:)

I'm trying to follow this thread, and the reference here to "diminishing returns" confuses me. Can't you just pump your percentage chance to 100% and have the ability trigger constantly:)

No, the more of most mods you add, the less you get. Deathblow is a good example. If you have 1 20% Deathblow ring equipped, you'll end up with 20% DB, if you have 2 20% rings equipped, you'll end up with less than 40%, if you have 3 rings equipped, you'll end up with significantly less than 60%. If there weren't diminishing returns, it'd be way too easy to get most mods up to a balance breaking level (not that everything's balanced).

No, the more of most mods you add, the less you get. Deathblow is a good example. If you have 1 20% Deathblow ring equipped, you'll end up with 20% DB, if you have 2 20% rings equipped, you'll end up with less than 40%, if you have 3 rings equipped, you'll end up with significantly less than 60%. If there weren't diminishing returns, it'd be way too easy to get most mods up to a balance breaking level (not that everything's balanced).

Oh. I wasn't aware of this... I have 99.2% chance to half regeneration time of Combat Arts on my HE. I haven't missed one ability activation yet... so I just assumed that this was correct given the total percentage I have equipped (I'm playing on the 360).

Edit: just double-checked my stats page and it too says 99.2%... is this reporting the amounts wrong them:)

Edited by Scrappy McSlap

Serious Open Wounds is not a DOT - it causes you or a monster to lose a portion of your max HP temporarily. It's also called "Mortal Strike".

Deep Wounds is also not a DOT - it does the same thing as serious open wounds, but not as powerful (you can find it on combat arts such as the Inquisitor's Execution and the Seraphim's Soul Hammer).

Open wounds is a DOT; it is also called "bleeding".

Deadly wounds reduces opponent's armor.

I had to dig through the game's item and spell scripts in order to figure all of this out. It was a pain in the butt also because I had to go look up the German name for the Slicing Scythe... which turns out to be "Meat Sense".

Edited by Cthulhu

Serious open wounds will cause a DoT from what I remember seeing when using it.

It combines Deep Wounds (-%Max HP) with Open Wounds.

I never noticed Deadly Wounds reducing opponent's armor. If that is what it's supposed to be doing, then it's not working.

Open, Serious and Deep wounds are exactly the same where they overlap (hitpoint reduction is the same in Serious ans Deep for example).