With a twoonie and a loonie

On my walk from work today, I head the jingle of change in my pockets. Usually I opt out for a quick zip into Mcd's or the pizza place just opposite of it to get a well-deserved, hard-earned snack :P on the way home :devil: Lots of calls from parents lately about this n' that and salt, sugar, fat, blah blah blah ...

And I decided to be a little creative. Walked into the Chinese grocery store, and asked the girl there what she had for three bucks that I could take home and kill my appetite with. Her answer? A little mini-box of mixed salad. It looked small from a distance, but the girl said it was packed with lots of leafy goodness, and would leave less of a mark on my health than a burger :P

The box cost me two bucks, which left me with a loonie for the chocolate bar for the next day's snack (yay! :D)

Got home...dang, realized there was no salad dressing. Disaster. Eat raw vegetables..raw...naked even?

:o

Resourcefulness enters at most welcome moments, and it's entry into our lives, when good-tasting, is always appreciated. I spotted an old jar of orange marmalade hidden in the back of a pile of some leftover Mcdonalds' Mayo Packs (Yes, I keep them...I paid for the chicken burger!) and brought it out into the light. There was perhaps a little bit of the goldenness left in the bottle with some along the sides. Could this work? We'll see. I then fished around the back for another bottle which is currently one of big addictions...Sri Racha hot sauce ^^. I poured some of the hot sauce into the marmalade bottle with a splash of hot water to add some moisture.

Capped tightly.

Shook hard.

Looked at the mess created, and admired it's color and way it ran up and down the bottle. When I poured it out, the fragrant smell of oranges, chili, vinegar, fruit and sugar were enough to make me forget about any contemplation of a stiff, hour-old piece of pizza for 2.50. The sauce poured admirably on top of the mixed salad. And now, only to taste...

Dom dom dom dom...

Success!

The color of the vegetables, different shades of greens, purples, leaves with small chunks of orange were enough to make me want to have a second helping.

And I did

Cured of Mcd's?

We'll see

:)

gogo

I'll start marketing the new sauce asap!

Cool thing is... I copy pasted this story and brought it to work. I got to send it to a boss, and then she emailed it to everyone at work. Lots of smileys and questions regarding the experiment.

Great friday feeling!

:0

gogo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got me hunting the web for Sri Racha hot sauce. Don't remember that from the sauce thread. Us folks this side of the ocean obviously need educating.

OK buddy. Will try it, promise.

I expect any respectable chinese hot chili sauce such as one might find in France will do the trick.....in a country where 'salade' is lettuce leaves eaten raw in piled up platefuls...'rabbit food' where I come from...but a suitable salad mix will be found, fear not.