And winner of the most stupid question ever asked is....

I see the term "mob" used during Sacred 2 discussions, and even seen it as "MOB" too.

Part of me thinks "a mob is a large group of enemies", but another part of me thinks "I wonder if that really is what it means...."

People mention mob/MOB size as affecting drops, and I just wanna make sure.... mob/MOB really does mean "a large group of enemies", doesn't it?

"Mob" in RPG terminology usually refers to any single NPC (non-player character) that can hurt you. I want to say it originated as an abbreviation of mobile something or-other, but I could be wrong. A group would simply be "mobs," "group of mobs" or I suppose even "mob of mobs" if you desire.

Edited by Sych

I was asking the same question to myself not so very long ago Blokeymon. ^^ Granted I haven't adopted the term for the very reason that I had to actually think about what it might mean, haha. If I had to guess as to why the word is popular I'd say it's just easier than saying opponent or enemy, heh. For myself I'm often answering questions so in order to be as clear as possible I tend to avoid abbreviations, short-forms, etc... (<--Ooops!) Ok well maybe there are a couple I use, haha. Now that I think of it I beleive some people even use "NPC" in place of "enemy" sometimes.

The term mob as it applies to gaming is thought to originate in 1980 from a creator of a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon). It is derived from mobile object. I have seen it used countless times in gaming over the years...including being used by a number of game designers when referring to NPCs in games. It is widely used to describe a non-player creature in gaming.

A bit of gaming history: a MUD is the grand-daddy of MMOs, and to a lesser extent most modern computer games.

I'm glad I wasn't the only confused one.

Considering I've played several hundred RPGs since the early 1990s, I'm surprised I never came across this term until I joined here....

I'm glad I wasn't the only confused one.

Considering I've played several hundred RPGs since the early 1990s, I'm surprised I never came across this term until I joined here....

That's primarily because the term mob as it is used in gaming originated in online applications. Occasionally people with MMO experience (like myself) will refer to non-player creatures in a single-player game as a mob. It's widely used in MMOs.