Sacred 2 MP Servers Down

Got in this morning and played a bit then I got kicked off again -.-

It's time to ........ play something else until server gets fixed? XD

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras

And there are no rollbacks at all? I tried logging in some time ago and I did lose some of the XP I gained.

If everything is in working order now, this is really good news :)

LOL......

Now the SIF just went down! :blush:

Dear oh dear....what next? :)

edit:

well thankfully that was short lived......but at least I got a laugh out of it. :D

Edited by stubbie
Just to let you know that is was not a database problem, but a hardware problem.

The lobbies are working as intended since this "morning". :)

Weeee If I don't get another Elder Scrolls or GW craving, I'll be on tonight lvling my Seraphim RT hybrid ^^

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Weeee If I don't get another Elder Scrolls or GW craving, I'll be on tonight lvling my Seraphim RT hybrid ^^

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

oh, I'll try to find you with my new nova-seraphim :)

So when y'all say "private servers" you're meaning a remote server (run by the same host of the public servers) that has a password? I'm trying to imagine how this is working. I'm used to a private server being one that is run by the host player, using his/her internet connection. Granted, even the private servers are broadcast to a centralized list of online servers that the company maintains....just thinking aloud here... Would it be terribly difficult to still host a closed-net server and just point the game's server connection prompt (in a file) to a privately maintained server listing similar to how people run free "shards" of games like WoW and Everquest?

I only got curious trying to imagine that if all the Ascaron servers do is maintain the central list of player-hosted servers, I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to maintain said list yourself or through a community like this one. It'd just be really sad if the whole online experience was shut down just because there wasn't a simple central server list host. See what I mean?

I remember playing Jedi Knight: Outcast online all the time in a big clan back in the day. There was a list, hosted by Lucas Arts or whoever, of all of the servers that were properly broadcasting to the central list, but that didn't mean that you couldn't connect to a server that wasn't broadcasting itself to the list. All you needed to do was to type in the server's connection info (ip address and port for example) and you were connected and being hosted by that player's machine or their own dedicated server. Granted, Sacred 2 doesn't work that way, but I'm sure, like WoW, Sacred 2 has a file that points the game to the server list location and that it could be manually changed.

I cannot guarantee that anything I just typed makes any actual sense. If it does not, please disregard, as I'm known to go into sessions of mental retardation :)

Private servers are just that - an emulation of the original server hosted on someone's machine . It will never be the real thing, because one can only guess the formulae of the various calculations, but with a lot of time and practice, one can come to a pretty close guess.

Lineage II, WoW and such have a lot of private servers that run on java platforms. Still, these servers can't maintain a lot of people, bacause one would need a good internet connection, providing sufficient download/upload in order for it to be effective and run without a lag.

I myself made Lineage II and WoW personal (I wouldn't call it private, because I never invited anyone) servers, based on the games I bought (both original, but I gave up on them a few years ago), and I must say, it's not hard at all, provided you have the proper platform or a kind of java emulation of the platform - which I doubt ascaron will share with mere players :)

Lineage II, WoW and such have a lot of private servers that run on java platforms. Still, these servers can't maintain a lot of people, bacause one would need a good internet connection, providing sufficient download/upload in order for it to be effective and run without a lag.

So when I made a multiplayer game in Jedi Knight: Outcast I hosted it using my own internet connection and my own machine. People could join my game because my server sends out a chunk of connection information to the central repository that Lucas Arts ran so that players could find my server in the list of online servers. They'd even see my ping and decide to join or not to join based on their ping response to my machine. I take it that Sacred 2 does not behave in this way for the PC? From what I've seen on the console versions it seems to be the say I described for Jedi Knight. If the host player quits the game, the server is gone since it was hosted on his machine and all players are disconnected.

If it's a centrally hosted game, the host should be able to leave and then another connected player could then be promoted to the host by the servers for example. I'm just trying to get a feel for how Sacred 2 online play is handled for PC.

nilihanth, I must admit I like your idea. Still, in order to host a proper server, you need the source code for the server and all the stuff necessary to run it. I played Jedi Knight as well, and it's a temporary server using the stuff necessary to run a multi-singleplayer game... I believe sacred has different kind of multiplayer servers, ones that look much more like MMO servers.

Edited by Dobri
... I believe sacred has different kind of multiplayer servers, ones that look much more like MMO servers.

Ok, that makes more sense as to why it's such a problem. Thanks Dobri!

So when I made a multiplayer game in Jedi Knight: Outcast I hosted it using my own internet connection and my own machine. People could join my game because my server sends out a chunk of connection information to the central repository that Lucas Arts ran so that players could find my server in the list of online servers. They'd even see my ping and decide to join or not to join based on their ping response to my machine. I take it that Sacred 2 does not behave in this way for the PC? From what I've seen on the console versions it seems to be the say I described for Jedi Knight. If the host player quits the game, the server is gone since it was hosted on his machine and all players are disconnected.

If it's a centrally hosted game, the host should be able to leave and then another connected player could then be promoted to the host by the servers for example. I'm just trying to get a feel for how Sacred 2 online play is handled for PC.

I'm quite certain that open net works like you describe Jedi Knight does.. anyone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Closed net = Ascaron hosts all of the servers, you just "borrow" them when you "host" a game in closed net. (That's also why there is a window that says "Avalible servers: ##" when you're trying to host, that's the number of servers that are still unoccupied and avalible for "borrowing"). If you tick the box "Show all servers" (or something like that) you get to see all of ascarons servers, and then when you create a new game you just "join" one of those servers and give it a temporary name. When everyone leaves it will go back to being called (for example) "en_ascaron_365293numbersnumbers". This is kinda like Blizzards battle.net.

|

Characters are saved on ascarons machines.

Open net = You host the game on your machine, when you quit, the server goes down. (This is why it's so easy to cheat and hack in closed net). This is very much like Jedi Knight and most PC games except mmos and some newer games.

|

Characters are saved on your machine.

This probably means that the open net is going to continue running after (if?) closed net shuts down. (I'm never touching that open net though :blink: )

Again correct my if I'm wrong, I have not read about this, it might be common sacred knowledge or I might be totally wrong :tongue:

I second your opinion, since I think that's exactly the case. I did fail to take open net into consideration in my analysis though - because, just like you, I never click on that button :blink:

• 2 weeks later...