My Sacred 2 Transition from Console to PC

My impression from making the transition from console to PC.

This is a Looong post so consider yourself warned about the wall of text of DOOM.

I have recently made the switch from the console version (xbox 360) of Sacred 2 to the PC version (international version) and I thought I would share some of my impressions on the different versions.

I have played the xbox version since its launch and have logged at least a thousand hours over a number of characters. I have played the PC version for about 80 hours so far (2/3 on closed net and 1/3 single player) with many, many more game hours still to be played.

The controls of the game take some getting used to in the PC version coming from the xbox. On xbox you have access to twelve combat art/weapon slots from the beginning of the game with four being available with a single button press and eight more accessible by holding down the left or right trigger on the controller. This essentially means that you have instant access to all of your CAs at all times. On PC you start with only a single CA slot and a single weapon slot and work your way to four. Also when you switch to a different CA using a hotkey you must then follow with a right click actually activate the CA. There is also a slight delay when switching CAs which slows things somewhat when moving between CAs if they are not in a combo together.

Aiming CAs or ranged attacks is better on PC using the mouse. Occasionally while aiming on console you will point your character in the direction of your target and still target an apparently randomly selected enemy often across the screen. With the mouse all attacks go where you intend them to go.

On console you can play multi-player and still play the class quests for your character over the internet. I find myself missing the class quests on closed net.

Hardcore mode is very, very fun on PC. I know that I could erase my character on console if I die but it just feels more exciting knowing that if I die my character is gone for good.

Likely because of the intensity of hardcore mode the community on PC (I have only played closed net HC) seems a bit more friendly and supportive of each other.

Because there are dedicated closed net servers to play the PC version you have much more reliability in terms of lag and crashes. When you play on xbox you occasionally join a game hosted by someone with a suboptimal internet connection leading to lots of lag, crashes and I have heard of but not experienced save file corruption.

The console version not based on the current PC version so there are a number of bug fixes and other changes not present in the console version. This includes some additional content such as “Christmas” island and the earth and poison lord mini-bosses.

There are a number of console specific bugs including a broken mod for the TG CA jolting touch and the blacksmith skill not working. Also the PC version has a bar to represent the “hp” of the energy shield which I find really, really nice.

The interface for doing quests with multiple paths (a choice) is clearer on PC. On console it is not always apparent when you are even being presented with a choice. Orpheus quest is a good example.

The expansion is coming for sure for international PC version. The status for future patches/expansion on consoles is uncertain at best.

I can play the console version on my couch with my HD TV and surround sound which is very nice.

There are probably more differences that I am not thinking of right now and I may edit this post and add more stuff later as I continue to play and think.

I like both versions a lot and I think that they both shine at certain things. I do not regret buying either version as I have more than gotten my money out of both. I still feel more comfortable playing the xbox version but this may be because I have spent more time with it and learned the game on console first.

With the release of the expansion on PC I will likely spend more time playing the PC version moving forward.

Thanks for reading my monster post.

Ansgar

P.S If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move.

Well-written, detailed write-up. :) This is my favorite game, and you did a great comparison of the platform. I'm happy you're having so much fun on the PC. I have been told by others that have both platforms for Sacred 2 that while Sacred 2 is a good port for console, an rpg is just so huge in concept and options that it's hard for anything but a PC to do it justice.

Hey...you're on HC EU? Look me up, I just started a Dryad tonight, she's low twenties, but I'm hoping to run her fast to higher levels as a trader. Hunt me up on the servers, and we can help with leveling and, if you need socketing, I can help with Niobium quality stuffs.

Thanks for the article, very enjoyable, and satisfying.

:cry:

gogo

p.s. You hit it right on the head with HC. In this day and age, it's hard finding anyting relatively commercial with the kind of teeth that a real HC experience offers. I know it's not a "mainstream" thing, but I've been playing this way for years now, and it's hard playing something else when you know you can just restart. Once that HC bug bites, it bites hard, and that thrill and sometimes chill of that surprise death adds that extra touch of flavor into our gaming lives.

Thanks for the positive feedback Spunky and Gogoblender! I am sure that we will link up on servers sooner or later.

I just got done with another gaming session and I thought of a couple more things I left out.

The mini-map that you can bring up with the TAB button is absent in the console version. After discovering this minimap feature I now use it quite a bit to maneuver around towns, fences, trees it's great.

How inventory is handled is quite different between the two platforms. The PC version uses a grid system which is familiar to anyone who has played pretty much any other action rpg, it is familiar and functional. On consoles the inventory is list based with tab for weapons, armor, potions, mounts, relics, and misc (runes, elemental damage converters, and books). Both systems work but the console version requires a lot of scrolling and when your hero chest is full there is noticable lag as you scroll down the list.

Another change (or I have not figured out how to do this on PC) is that you can have six relics equipped at a time (3 max in a single element resistance) whereas on PC you can only have 3 relics equipped but it is easier to switch between them.

Will update if I realize anything else.

Ansgar

Thanks for the positive feedback Spunky and Gogoblender! I am sure that we will link up on servers sooner or later.

I just got done with another gaming session and I thought of a couple more things I left out.

The mini-map that you can bring up with the TAB button is absent in the console version. After discovering this minimap feature I now use it quite a bit to maneuver around towns, fences, trees it's great.

How inventory is handled is quite different between the two platforms. The PC version uses a grid system which is familiar to anyone who has played pretty much any other action rpg, it is familiar and functional. On consoles the inventory is list based with tab for weapons, armor, potions, mounts, relics, and misc (runes, elemental damage converters, and books). Both systems work but the console version requires a lot of scrolling and when your hero chest is full there is noticable lag as you scroll down the list.

Another change (or I have not figured out how to do this on PC) is that you can have six relics equipped at a time (3 max in a single element resistance) whereas on PC you can only have 3 relics equipped but it is easier to switch between them.

Will update if I realize anything else.

Ansgar

While my experience has been a bit less of a switch, simply from US softcore to UK hardcore, it has been fun. I've caught games with ang both nights, and am trying to catch up to the guy. Haven't seen many else on, but then again it's my first char on these servers so I'm playing quite defensively and slowly. Trying to get the little guy to niobium so I have a shopper/smither for future chars.'

I realize the expansion changes this, but a bonus for console was the ability to warp to past stones and such, from anywhere. PC requires a portal thingy sadly.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice comparison Ansgar. As Spunky said it was interesting to read about the differences you've noticed. Oh and I'm very much looking forward to the expansion's new teleport system that the console has been enjoying for so long. Faster Farming! :(