Bargaining - Need it higher than my level for it to work?

Ok, before anyone mentions about me asking a newb question, I have read through most or all posts on this topic. I have a level 24 Inquis with 14 points in bargaining and finding that the items I buy are not giving me the "discount". Do I need to have bargaining higher than my level for the skill to work?

The higher the better, to find good items in shop you need atleast to have it above char level, if you don't find a single white/0 star? item in shop you know your bargaining level is good.

Edited by Spunky
Ok, before anyone mentions about me asking a newb question, I have read through most or all posts on this topic. I have a level 24 Inquis with 14 points in bargaining and finding that the items I buy are not giving me the "discount". Do I need to have bargaining higher than my level for the skill to work?

I can't say I know that bargaining gives you a "discount" on items you buy. It gives you the opportunity to get better items, and better usually means $$$. To have a great shopper in bargaining you should have bargaining at you character level and also supplement with +rings/ammys (general, bargaining, or +all skills) to increase your chance to get better gear. My level 34 Inquisitor has 34 hard points bargaining and with his suit it boosted up to level 89 bargaining. Most of the items at the vendors are 2 star or better (most are 3 star). The last polearm I purchased was 600K in price, but it has 3 modifiers (attack +15, life leach 2.5% per hit, level for death blow +24%) and one silver, one gold, and one grey slot. Worth the price IMO for a gem like that.

The farther on you get, the less gold becomes an issue, generally and the less you will need to shop for items other than jewelry (unless you are looking for some very specific modifiers on rares such as "stacked" damage mitigation) as you will be finding better unique and set items than what can be found in shops. Better items always cost more.

I can't say I know that bargaining gives you a "discount" on items you buy. It gives you the opportunity to get better items, and better usually means $$$. To have a great shopper in bargaining you should have bargaining at you character level and also supplement with +rings/ammys (general, bargaining, or +all skills) to increase your chance to get better gear. My level 34 Inquisitor has 34 hard points bargaining and with his suit it boosted up to level 89 bargaining. Most of the items at the vendors are 2 star or better (most are 3 star). The last polearm I purchased was 600K in price, but it has 3 modifiers (attack +15, life leach 2.5% per hit, level for death blow +24%) and one silver, one gold, and one grey slot. Worth the price IMO for a gem like that.

As you're posting this in the console section, I'll assume you're playing the game on a console. The glaring mistake in your post is the fact you can't purchase 3* equipment from vendors so you're giving out incorrect information. 3* items are either unique or set pieces, both of which can only be obtained by way of drops.

If you are playing on PC (I'm in no position to say if unique or set items are still obtainable through vendors, but wasn't this fixed?), then your information has no relevance on this occasion due to you playing a different build. No point in telling him High Elf can obtain certain quality items when that's simply not the case.

Edit: I can't write h.e. without it automatically changing to High Elf, so I'm not just throwing random words in :)

Edited by BlackJAC

Ever so sorry to have made the mistake. I am thankful that you have taken the time to correct me. I am in-fact playing PC and was ignorant about the exact star method of leveling items. My understanding was flawed to say the least. I do not get sets or unique items from vendors. As it states in the original post we are both using Inquisitor builds so that comment is relevant. Much of the game mechanics are similar and I have assisted MANY console players with my PC knowledge in the past.

Thank you again for your time and condescension. It was eloquent and pertinent to the spirit and purpose of the prior posts.

Edited by Grillgrim

Yeah, reading over my post again, it does appear to be condescending and a little bit arsey. I had to write it quickly as I was at work, and it was never my intention for it to come across in the manner in which it did.

please accept my apology, mate.

Edited by BlackJAC
Yeah, reading over my post again, it does appear to be condescending and a little bit arsey. I had to write it quickly as I was at work, and it was never my intention for it to come across in the manner in which it did.

please accept my apology, mate.

No worries. upon reading my response I seem to suffer from the same problem. Lesson for the day.

As a new console player I also did not know the limitation of what could be bought in vendors at first.. however it is still VERY worthwhile to have a high bargain character available ismply because it makes you far more likely to find accessory items and equipment with great modifiers or available sockets/slots.

It may not be the awesome 3 star or better items, but some of the 2 star weapons are pretty damned good. Likewise the accessories are, I'm finding, the bread and butter of the mid to late game builds in order to mod your equipment as well as equip.

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas regarding bargaining. I never understood how it worked. When I look at an item from the merchant, it shows the actual retail price and then inside the item info box shows "Inquisitor price: $$$$$", the dollar signs indicate a much lower price. But when I try to buy the item, it gives me the actual retail price instead of the discounted price for my Inquis. I will accumulate more points to the bargaining and see what happens. Thanks again everyone, you all rock! :tease:

My experience with Bargaining shows that you need to invest a lot of time and effort to make it pay back real dividends.

I play on a PS3 and one of the major differences between the console version and the PC version is that the console game limits the user to equipping 6 relics. The PC version lets the user equip 12 relics.

As a consequence to this limitation, the boost to the bargaining skill that can be achieved by equipping relics with +X to bargaining will limit you in so far as what is the possible ratio between your char level and the bargaining level.

I have a HE who was at a character level of 41, had 41 hard points in bargaining and had a total bargaining skill of 102 (with the extra 61 soft points coming from items providing +general skill points and relics providing bonuses to bargaining).

Even at this bargaining level, I found that I would still see 0 star items (relatively few) with the rest of the items being mostly 1 star and VERY few items being two star.

As such, you need to keep on shopping (until you drop :thumbsup: ) by having the vendors item list 'resetting' (for example by entering a nearby cave or cellar etc) until the random factors align to provide better quality wares from the vendor.

It will still cost you an arm and a leg for the items (plus the cost associated with blacksmithing these items into your armor and weapons) but as already stated, money should be no issue and you do need to spend it on something.

Good luck and happy hunting

My experience with Bargaining shows that you need to invest a lot of time and effort to make it pay back real dividends.

I play on a PS3 and one of the major differences between the console version and the PC version is that the console game limits the user to equipping 6 relics. The PC version lets the user equip 12 relics.

Actually on PC you can only have 3 relics active at one time. There are twelve slots to hold your relics in four groups of three but only one set of three relics is "selected" at a single time and providing bonuses to the character. The console player is actually at a advantage because you can have 6 relics providing bonuses to your character at the same time.

I started a Shadow Warrior in silver about 14h ago and gave it EP, now my Shadow Warrior is level 30 with EP set to 20 with 18 relic points extra attached and I am getting more out of that with pickups than I did with bargaining! Yeah, I was trying to work on the survivalist with my Inquis but then a horde of nasty bone soldiers(whatever they were) :( ended that and I stopped playing the Inquis and started a Shadow Warrior. Oh well! ;):evil:

I have De X box, and im a master at Bargaining so if there is any questions on it, feel free to ask. But to be clear you CAN pick up set pieces from a merchant with bargaining. I picked up one for the Dryad once, and it was with the update off. And as we know a set piece is a three star item~yet it is so rare to find one, I would even dismiss being able to buy them from a merchant.

As for Bargaining itself, I think there is a limit to what your bargaining level can be for your level because I bargain with an Inquisitor Level 3 sometimes and I pick up the same garbage with having it at level 100 as I do with having it at level 500. And yes I have got it that high before :) So there is no real point in trying to go crazy. If you see all 2 star things, your bargaining is at a good level.

Light Sabers can be picked up with bargaining above your character level, but I havent seen one at any level below 10, or above 90....not that these are the limitations, just a guideline.

Lastly, it is good to have 1 bargaining chacacter because you can pick up good rings/amulets and gear for all your others while you level up. And to take some info from me, its good to find gold/silver slots on gear. Theres some great rings to be found, and once your a high level, you can put level 200 rings into level 1 gear. For example, I found a boot for the dryad on Noibium level 1, and it gave 25% run speed with a silver slot. So I put a level 207 run speed ring into it, now it gives +47.5% run speed, 1 boot!! I just put the boot on and run circles around people :(

my qualifications for this advice : Level 200 dryad with Bargaining at level 1144, and a level 2 High Elf with bargaining at level 512

my qualifications for this advice : Level 200 dryad with Bargaining at level 1144, and a level 2 High Elf with bargaining at level 512

I can understand the Dryads Bargaining level, but how is it possible to have a level 2 HE with level 512?

Ah good question Spunky. That caught me off guard too but I remembered that on consoles forged jewelry won't change the forged item's level. Would be fun to have that! :(

For the record:

PC: When you forge a level 200 ring into a level 5 weapon the weapon level will become level 200 and you'll have to be around character level 180 in order to use it.

Console: When you forge a level 200 ring into a level 5 weapon the weapon level will remain level 5 and you'll be able to use it at level 4.

Ah yes, that must be the reason how it is possible to have these extreme levels on skills that early, I had forgot about those features we had on the PC before :(