Magic Coup

Ive been playing a delphic high elf recently and I just bought her some new gear for kami on saturday and was doing some testing. Now id planned on using a highish level cobalt strike to hit mobs with and then use a shuriken and low regen magic coup (low enough regen that there are no normal left click attacks) with some regen per hit to regen the cobalt strike. However, when I was testing my new gear, the shuriken was doing exactly the same damage with magic coup as with a left click attack...has anyone had this issue before with shurikens or ranged weapons? And also, how rare are shurikens with %life leech when shopping, because I didnt find any over an hour or two.

Thanks

Ive been playing a delphic high elf recently and I just bought her some new gear for kami on saturday and was doing some testing. Now id planned on using a highish level cobalt strike to hit mobs with and then use a shuriken and low regen magic coup (low enough regen that there are no normal left click attacks) with some regen per hit to regen the cobalt strike. However, when I was testing my new gear, the shuriken was doing exactly the same damage with magic coup as with a left click attack...has anyone had this issue before with shurikens or ranged weapons? And also, how rare are shurikens with %life leech when shopping, because I didnt find any over an hour or two.

Thanks

How much Smith Art damage have you got? I believe the only thing thing that affects MC is Arcane Lore. Where the weapon is getting multiplier from +Damage %

Thanks

How much Smith Art damage have you got? I believe the only thing thing that affects MC is Arcane Lore. Where the weapon is getting multiplier from +Damage %

No, its not that, the magic coup has a listed damage of 3-4 times as much as a normal left click attack, however, against any enemy I try it only does the same as a left click attack.

That's curious Dragon. I've not played a whole lot with Magic Coup so I couldn't really say. Very surprising though. A shame actually because that's how I'd prefer to use Magic Coup if I did. I'll tinker with it a bit next time I play my HE and see what happens.

That's curious Dragon. I've not played a whole lot with Magic Coup so I couldn't really say. Very surprising though. A shame actually because that's how I'd prefer to use Magic Coup if I did. I'll tinker with it a bit next time I play my HE and see what happens.

Its definitely a shame....really quite annoying infact. I had my toon planned out really well...until this little...'bump' in the road. I think its bugged for all ranged weapons, I tested it on bows, guns and throwing daggers too and none of them dealt any more than normal left click damage... :(

Edit: Here are some numbers.

• Left click stated damage: 140-173, actual damage falls within this range
  • Magic Coup stated damage: 630-772, actual damage (with any ranged weapon) is the same as left click

But as soon as I switch to a melee weapon...magic coup does the damage suggested...

Edited by Dragon Brother

Its definitely a shame....really quite annoying infact. I had my toon planned out really well...until this little...'bump' in the road. I think its bugged for all ranged weapons, I tested it on bows, guns and throwing daggers too and none of them dealt any more than normal left click damage... :(

Edit: Here are some numbers.

• Left click stated damage: 140-173, actual damage falls within this range
  • Magic Coup stated damage: 630-772, actual damage (with any ranged weapon) is the same as left click

But as soon as I switch to a melee weapon...magic coup does the damage suggested...

I had posted a little while back about my Stray Damage with MC not working with ranged weapon. What I noticed was that when I got a critical hit it strayed. when I did not. it didn't. Now stray damage is only a chance, but it seemed strange that I coincided with Crits.

Have to test it myself again when I am home. But Magic Coup used to do less damage with ranged weapons than with melee weapons as long as I can think. Stray damage on ranged looked like one third of all shots at 2.34 and not like the one in ten if it would be criticals. One thing that prevented many people to play a ranged elf was this way less damage in magic coup. In Pre-2.43 a strength bonus on weapons had a way bigger effect than a dexterity one. Got fixed I think.

I got more damage with magic coup then with left clicks IF I didn't take ranged lore and modified for damage. A magic coup at level 1 modified for sure hit is not much more damage than a left click with 5 points in tactics to unlock ranged. Tactics give nothing for magic coup and the (20% in damage ?) of a level 1 magic coup modified for sure hits is comparable in damage with a left click if tactics is taken. (low levels and arcane lore not very high yet)

Have to check it myself if something changed in 265, or ask my wife: she plays an elven archer as her only character for a year now- level 93 or so.

So all I can guess at the moment: You have a low level magic coup and with a modification to sure hits it shouldn't do more than 20% more than a left click and about the same if you took tactics to unlock ranged. 4 times the listed damage should be a display bug. But magic coup should give damage to ranged ones.

I will ask my daughters to do some tests. School breaks start today so they should have time.

Have to test it myself again when I am home. But Magic Coup used to do less damage with ranged weapons than with melee weapons as long as I can think. Stray damage on ranged looked like one third of all shots at 2.34 and not like the one in ten if it would be criticals. One thing that prevented many people to play a ranged elf was this way less damage in magic coup. In Pre-2.43 a strength bonus on weapons had a way bigger effect than a dexterity one. Got fixed I think.

I got more damage with magic coup then with left clicks IF I didn't take ranged lore and modified for damage. A magic coup at level 1 modified for sure hit is not much more damage than a left click with 5 points in tactics to unlock ranged. Tactics give nothing for magic coup and the (20% in damage ?) of a level 1 magic coup modified for sure hits is comparable in damage with a left click if tactics is taken. (low levels and arcane lore not very high yet)

Have to check it myself if something changed in 265, or ask my wife: she plays an elven archer as her only character for a year now- level 93 or so.

So all I can guess at the moment: You have a low level magic coup and with a modification to sure hits it shouldn't do more than 20% more than a left click and about the same if you took tactics to unlock ranged. 4 times the listed damage should be a display bug. But magic coup should give damage to ranged ones.

I will ask my daughters to do some tests. School breaks start today so they should have time.

Well...I have it modded for extra damage, it is kinda low level, but even so...the stated damage is much higher than that dealt. I didnt know that ranged did less than melee with magic coup though. Anyway, here is a picture of my situation:

coup.jpg

And I havent taken tactics lore or ranged lore. Stated damage is ~700 for coup but hits for the stated 140-173 in the weapon inventory section. Any other pics help?

Edited by Dragon Brother

I just tested it with my melee HE and you're right. The damage with left mouse attack is the same as with the magic coup when I use ranged weapons. With melee weapons it is about 10 times higher with the magic coup.

Now I am curious. Patch 2.64 german version, 1 level in magic coup which is modified for damage, life leech and stray damage.

Listed damage for normal attack is 630 and for magic coup it is 1340. Normal hits did no life leech so I did pictures and looked which targets had lines and which not. The normal hits were around 550 and the magic coup ones around 1250. Target was an orc with only physical. Bow was this unique dragon bow, socketed with lava.

The quick test character had tactics, armour, ranged, arcane lore + focus, speed lore, constitution. Buff was unmodified GI. All attributes in dexterity. If I will continue the character then it will get no concentration and no more GI as soon I get a skin. Rest of family says too that bows do more damage with MC than with normal attacks. Is it because we have still 2.64 at our local LAN?

Edited by chattius
Now I am curious. Patch 2.64 german version, 1 level in magic coup which is modified for damage, life leech and stray damage.

Listed damage for normal attack is 630 and for magic coup it is 1340. Normal hits did no life leech so I did pictures and looked which targets had lines and which not. The normal hits were around 550 and the magic coup ones around 1250. Target was an orc with only physical. Bow was this unique dragon bow, socketed with lava.

The quick test character had tactics, armour, ranged, arcane lore + focus, speed lore, constitution. Buff was unmodified GI. All attributes in dexterity. If I will continue the character then it will get no concentration and no more GI as soon I get a skin. Rest of family says too that bows do more damage with MC than with normal attacks. Is it because we have still 2.64 at our local LAN?

Maybe its something to do with the patch, ill have another shot with a bow though. In any case, I was hoping to get a shuriken working with it so I could wear a shield too...