Switching to Windows 7

I may be upgrading to Windows 7 soon, and the first thing I was worried about was would I still be able to play Sacred 2. Has anyone done this and have there been any issues? Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the question. this one is near and dear to my heart. the Short answer is yes, and yes.

for more detail look here for these are 3 topics of recent weeks

Topic Link

topic link

topic link

Issue free for my win I upgraded to Win 7. Sacred 2 ran fine for my particular system. You should read the topics that loco linked above. There are some possible problems that can occur but it seems that everything is doable. You just need to be super attentive. If you are using an upgrade package on Vista it "might" be a good idea to uninstall Sacred 2 completely, upgrade to Win 7 and then install Sacred 2 again. In general...

When it comes to Sacred 2 and Win 7 it's probably always a good idea to:

1. Uninstall Sacred 2
  2. Upgrade/Install Win 7
  3. Install Sacred 2

P.s.

We really need a step by step guide.

P.p.s.

Don't forget to read loco's links!

I may be upgrading to Windows 7 soon, and the first thing I was worried about was would I still be able to play Sacred 2. Has anyone done this and have there been any issues? Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the question. this one is near and dear to my heart. the Short answer is yes, and yes.

for more detail look here for these are 3 topics of recent weeks

Topic Link

topic link

topic link

Funny cause I thought the very same. I had my Windows 7 since late October last year and I never installed it until a week and a half ago. Only reason why I never installed it was because I was so worried that Sacred 2 wouldn't work with Win 7. Turned out that the transition was flawless and Sacred 2 is running the same as before. Well... Not entirely. I'm using the Aero theme in Win 7 which I think might be costing me a few FPS. I just love the theme though. So many gadgets! :sick:

I think I might be the only one that went that route Shadow. If you have the space for it you could create a separate Windows 7 partition and see how it goes. I think about 80GBs would be enough to test on.

Mine also was a fresh install on a clean Win 7 install, and had crashes all the time.

Another funny thing last night Knuckles is after installing Elite I had my first 3 crashes in a week. I selected default and went right back to normal. I am gonna go play for a hour or so and see what happens, then turn elite back on and go play again. Definetly never gonna enable physX ever again. that took a reinstall of Nvidia drivers and Sacred2 to correct.

Sure enough, I played for and hour or so with default settings and had no trouble. took a quick break and came back to my game with elite on. by the time I got from Sloeford to the bottom of the Kobald camp to take on the chief. it locked up. so I will go back to default and try again. Starting to think, well I always thought it was multiple issues on your system, just didn't know what the were.

If you put a 32bit version of Windows 7 on, it seems to work fine. Most of the people with issues are using the 64bit version.

Sacred 2 is one of the reasons I still haven't upgraded, but since the people I share house with have W7, it doesn't seem that much better than Vista to me.

Mine also was a fresh install on a clean Win 7 install, and had crashes all the time.

Another funny thing last night Knuckles is after installing Elite I had my first 3 crashes in a week. I selected default and went right back to normal. I am gonna go play for a hour or so and see what happens, then turn elite back on and go play again. Definetly never gonna enable physX ever again. that took a reinstall of Nvidia drivers and Sacred2 to correct.

If you put a 32bit version of Windows 7 on, it seems to work fine. Most of the people with issues are using the 64bit version.

Sacred 2 is one of the reasons I still haven't upgraded, but since the people I share house with have W7, it doesn't seem that much better than Vista to me.

Oh now that's an interesting point... It hadn't occured to me but now that it's been brought up it could be the Elite textures that is part of the problem. On my Win 7 I didn't install Elite graphics. In fact I completely forgot about it. For the record here my Win 7 is 64 bit.

Regarding the Elite textures I would guess that trying to install Elite graphics after installing Ice and Blood would be a bad idea. Elite textures was developed before the release of Ice and Blood so it's unlikely to be compatible when installing in the order of Sacred 2-->Ice and Blood-->Elite Textures.

Well I have 64bit windows 7 and like I posted earlier, no issues with it.

Well I have 64bit windows 7 and like I posted earlier, no issues with it.

I went back to default setting in options and played 3 levels in blood forest with no problems. never thought about the elite before Ice and Blood. What about elite say before or after the 2.02 to 2.40 patch? It would be worth the test for me to uninstall Sacred2 tomorrow and reinstall in different order

Or do we think Elite may be completely incompatible with Ice and Blood

And what you are saying schot makes sense to me if we look at Ice and Blood as a Oct 2009 patch, and Elite was released in Oct 2008 for example. In my install order I would have overwritten a newer patch with an older one. Assuming that Elite and Ice and Blood have common files. Which I imagine it only takes one file to make this unstable.

Now Knuckles what order did you install in?

And what you are saying schot makes sense to me if we look at Ice and Blood as a Oct 2009 patch, and Elite was released in Oct 2008 for example. In my install order I would have overwritten a newer patch with an older one. Assuming that Elite and Ice and Blood have common files. Which I imagine it only takes one file to make this unstable.

Now Knuckles what order did you install in?

The issue with Elite and win 7 x64 is probably the same as Win 7 x64 and Phys X - the fault appears lie in the way the I/O calls are made in Sacred 2 and in the way an x64 system handles them . Simply it seems in patch 2.43 the I/O was optiimised for XP32 (read the interrupt time was reduced ) without taking into account the extra time it takes to interpret the call from x32 to x64 in a x64 system. This is exasperated when you use elites or physx due to the extra data being handled. Essentially Ascaron's patch programmers = FAIL

Btw Elite's / PhysX at patch 2.40 run like a dream on a win 7 x64 sytem (that's with dual ATi Gpus and extra NV card for physX)

Edited by Axilian
The issue with Elite and win 7 x64 is probably the same as Win 7 x64 and Phys X - the fault appears lie in the way the I/O calls are made in Sacred 2 and in the way an x64 system handles them . Simply it seems in patch 2.43 the I/O was optiimised for XP32 (read the interrupt time was reduced ) without taking into account the extra time it takes to interpret the call from x32 to x64 in a x64 system. This is exasperated when you use elites or physx due to the extra data being handled. Essentially Ascaron's patch programmers = FAIL

Btw Elite's / PhysX at patch 2.40 run like a dream on a win 7 x64 sytem (that's with dual ATi Gpus and extra NV card for physX)

Thanks for that info Axilian! That is tech insight I had not read yet. So is there any work around or are we just coming to the root of the problem? Knowing the cause is still a win in my book, even if there is no fix.

Actually I haven't installed Elite Graphics on my XP64 partition yet. On Win 7 I'm pretty sure I patched everything thru Ice and Blood before installing Elite. Not really sure as I didn't pay much attention to the order. Was still staring at all the pretty lights in/on my pc

Actually I haven't installed Elite Graphics on my XP64 partition yet. On Win 7 I'm pretty sure I patched everything thru Ice and Blood before installing Elite. Not really sure as I didn't pay much attention to the order. Was still staring at all the pretty lights in/on my pc

O.k. was seriously considering a reinstall in this order 2.02 - elite - 2.40 - 2.64 - 2.65. but Axilian's info seems to suggest in wouldn't make any diff.

I think I'll test this out later on my Win 7 part. Installing Elite on top of Ice and Blood. I do recall readin posts in the past that were implying that Elite doesn't work with Ice and Blood but now that we're discussing this in depth it may be that the finer point is that Elite does not work after Ice and Blood. Installing before on the other hand could be perfectly fine and explain why some Win 7 64 bit users have no probs and other can't run at all. The experience you guys had, loco and Knuckles, was quite extreme if I understood well enough. I'd be willing to bet that installing in proper order is very important to proper function of Sacred 2. :)

I think I'll test this out later on my Win 7 part. Installing Elite on top of Ice and Blood. I do recall readin posts in the past that were implying that Elite doesn't work with Ice and Blood but now that we're discussing this in depth it may be that the finer point is that Elite does not work after Ice and Blood. Installing before on the other hand could be perfectly fine and explain why some Win 7 64 bit users have no probs and other can't run at all. The experience you guys had, loco and Knuckles, was quite extreme if I understood well enough. I'd be willing to bet that installing in proper order is very important to proper function of Sacred 2. :)

knuckles was certainly worse,but I induced many of my problems by experimenting. mostly with physX, which I still say has bad voodoo in it that stays resident even when turned off. the elite issue is just another link to knuckles issues. And I would love to crack this thing and be able to declare a victory in the Sacred2 vs. Win 7 64x debate.

Haha, I'm rooting for that victory call as well. With so many bizarre anomalies it'd be nice for once to be able to say with certainly something about Sacred. Anything! lol.

physx is unquestionably evil and I'm certain as you are that even while disabled it's devising it's plan of world domination.

My personal opinion is that there really isn't anything wrong with Win 7 + Sacred 2. It's just that there's so many things that can go wrong during the installing, downloading, patching and customizing that it makes it so hard to pin point problems when they happen. :)

I proceeded with a reinstall of Sacred2 /Elite GFX/Ice and blood.

Sp Far on my system installing 2.02 - Elite - patch INT 2.40 has resulted in pretty stable game play with Win 7 64 and running full Very High graphics + Elite. I ran a camp from sloeford to Thylisium, and stopped to kill the Kobald Chief on the way. no issues at all.

I am going to install Ice and Blood now. we'll see what happens