Windows restarts without my authorization?

Draksa

I am new to windows OS and still sussing it out. Whilst playing games a couple of times my computer has decided to restart. Really annoying in game as it just switches off without giving a chance for game to save and windows is so damn slow at shutting down and starting up. Cant believe windows has the audacity to do that. Think I got all the auto updates off, whatever it is, it should bloody ask me before doing anything like that first.

Anyone got any ideas what could be the problem?

From my experience, Windows only restarts itself when it encounters an unrecoverable error. You should see some notification of a problem when that happens - in the event log or possibly when restarting it will tell you it did not shut down properly nd offer to start in "Safe" mode.

just before it restarts, the top half of screen goes blue with writing on it. It is only there for a slit second so I get no time to read what it sais. Theres no error message when it comes back on either :)

I mentioned about software updates because when I first installed windows I got messages saying, downloaded update begin restart then it would just shut off. I am on XP.

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

This will take care of the automatic reboot, it will display the blue error screen until you press the Reset/Power button. This way you can write down the error.

You cannot install any update?

just before it restarts, the top half of screen goes blue with writing on it.

This is usually related to a serious system failure.

Follow Timotheus advice so we can see exactly what the error message is.

btw, thanks for posting that Timotheus....very handy tip :blink:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

This will take care of the automatic reboot, it will display the blue error screen until you press the Reset/Power button. This way you can write down the error.

You cannot install any update?

Nice one. Thanks very much for that info, the restart button is now unchecked. Just got to wait for it happen again now to identify the problem.

I can update all other software, just when I give the go ahead rather than when I need the computer.

If you have Vista or Win7 you can look in the Reliability Monitor, it should show any errors you have had in there. Easiest way to find it is just type Reliability into the search field, its probably the only application on your pc with the name. Under monitoring tools, select Reliability and it will show the history of your pc for a certain time period - you can change how long.

In my monitor, the only thing that causes Errors is Sacred 2 but then it never forces pc to restart. Without Sacred 2 my pc rating would be 10, shame I just can't stop playing :P

It saves dealing with the Blue Screen.

Edited by colif

On XP donated from a friend who upgraded. The only time I use windows is to play sacred so not worth upgrading. I havnt had the problem since I turned off the restart with system error. Or at least not noticed it :superman:

• 2 weeks later...

Its happened twice since, second time I wrote down everything on screen as I dont understand any of it. So if anyone has an idea whats going please let me know. Sounds like I should bin sacred 2 but I am getting into it dispite buggs and crashes :D

Blue screen appears with -

A problem has been detected + windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If it happens again follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new install, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems persist disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shading. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart press F8 to select advanced options then select safe mode.

Tech info

***STOP:OXOOOOOOOA (OXE287204E,OXOOOOOOO1C,OXOOOOOOOO,OXO805023B2)

beging dump of physical memory

Physical dump complete.

Contact your system admin or tech support groupfoor further assistance.

Ugh that is the hardest one, since IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can mean a bunch of things.

There's no message on an .exe or .dll file or whatever?

It's either your RAM, your HDD (both a slim change, and you should have other issues) or a driver acting up (99% of the time).

Most likely the last one, since you haven't got any other failures in OSX.

Edited by Timotheus
Ugh that is the hardest one, since IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can mean a bunch of things.

It's either your RAM, your HDD (both a slim change, and you should have other issues) or a driver acting up (99% of the time).

Thanks for reply. *hug*

No .exe or dill, everything that was on screen is repeated in post. There are hardly any other programs on here, I only switch to windows to play this game. Everything appart from internet explorer is up to date. Its a 2.4ghz duo core 2 with 2 gig ram, Ati Radoen HD 2600 pro. The computer did get worryingly hot though.

Thanks for reply. *hug*

No .exe or dill, everything that was on screen is repeated in post. There are hardly any other programs on here, I only switch to windows to play this game. Everything appart from internet explorer is up to date. Its a 2.4ghz duo core 2 with 2 gig ram, Ati Radoen HD 2600 pro. The computer did get worryingly hot though.

Could you download Speedfan and post a screenie of your temperatures?

It might be heat related, but then there usually is a message from the graphics driver.

What version is your ATi driver?

Try uninstalling, downloading the latest for your card and installing again.

Got speed fan installed. In just 45 mins of playing sacred with a low level driad 1 of the cores was in the red in temperature reading. The other night when error message came up I was playing for about 4 hours with ice elf, killed scorpion and flying demon boss. I get very low FPS when I cast raging nimbus Area of Effect. So must have got a hell of a lot hotter.

How do I take screen shot of speed fan readings?

Easiest is pressing Printscreen and then open up Paint, and pressing CTRL+V.

You have to be quick though, since the moment you get back to the desktop, the temperatures may decline.

'In the reds' is a bit unspecific, that's why I'd like to see a printscreen.

Regarding your FPS: the big decline in FPS does suggest there might be a heat issue.

Edited by Timotheus
  • 4 months later...

Yesterday I was working on my desktop computer when windows I had open started to to close in an orderly fashion one by one. When what was obviously a restart began I got a message on the order of Installing Updates (don't recall it exactly). Today working on my notebook I got a window saying that updates had been installed and counting down to a reboot.

If either the CPU or case temps get too hot the system will shut down. There is a "gray" area where the system will lag before it shuts down if the temps have not reached critical. In the "gray" area framerates will drop and all services run slower. Check your cooling setup to make sure fans are running and filters are clean if air cooled and reservoir and radiator are up to level along with fans running if liquid cooled. My son had a similar issue and ended up replacing the heatsink on his CPU. No problems since then.