160 years old

Geoducks!

Or, pronounced... gooeyducks. I've been so into top chefs lately ( TOTALLY addicted) and this little gem popped out of the show and now is the latest cullinary meme on the net.

If you can find 'em be prepared to shell out...literally ..they're expensive and difficult to prepare, are considered aphrodisiacs and are probably one of the strangest things we'll see in our lives.

Bon apetit!

:D

gogo

p.s. Am am I the only guy out here who cringes everytime I see him brandish his knife on the poor thing's willy :)

hahahah

ain't it insane though?

Seriously.. top chef made this like the biggest thing... (lol big )

I have a hard time watching it when he slices it open *shudder* poor willy!

:)

gogo

So weird! But I still think Balut wins the strange food competition.

balut2.jpg

A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_%28egg%29

Some more oddities here: http://www.oddee.com/item_96534.aspx

Edited by dreeft

ewwwwwwwwwww! ... lol!... every weekend my friend's parents take me out for dinner ... they are phillipine, and just last week, they were talking about balut.

The joke was that everytime they went to chinatown to buy them, and after bringing them home...they would only eat them at home in the dark!

gogo

I remember an episode of 'Two Hot Tamales' on the food network. They were Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. Well they were making that. . . .uh. . .thing and they couldn't stop giggling throughout the entire episode.

Never have seen one in a store. There is a root, horseradish perhaps, that has the same appearance. Grocery stores trim them to make them more acceptable before they put them out, but I had a friend who was a assistant manager in the produce department once.....

Never will try the balut either. I have a friend at work who is a very adventurous eater. He likes those.

What a disgusting thread!

OK.....what is the most disgusting food you have ever seen or attempted to eat?

Me I am looking for a photo of clabbydoos (can't spell it) much revered in parts of Scotland, a sort of enormous mussel type shell fish. Only thing I couldn't face eating because of its appearance.

Later: (wish I hadn't started this post, I feel ill)

clabby doo - The scottish word for a female's v-g--a... A large freshwater muscle(horse muscle) - we call them mussels.

Photo...from Beech Cottage Diary web site

clabbydoo.jpg

You wouldn't want to see this full size, the colours are ..... urgh...excuse me...gotta go.

Edited by Bondbug
I remember an episode of 'Two Hot Tamales' on the food network. They were Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. Well they were making that. . . .uh. . .thing and they couldn't stop giggling throughout the entire episode.

I'm not surprised, that was all I could think of before he cut it up...

What a disgusting thread!

OK.....what is the most disgusting food you have ever seen or attempted to eat?

Me I am looking for a photo of clabbydoos (can't spell it) much revered in parts of Scotland, a sort of enormous mussel type shell fish. Only thing I couldn't face eating because of its appearance.

Later: (wish I hadn't started this post, I feel ill)

clabby doo - The scottish word for a female's v-g--a... A large freshwater muscle(horse muscle) - we call them mussels.

Photo...from Beech Cottage Diary web site

clabbydoo.jpg

You wouldn't want to see this full size, the colours are ..... urgh...excuse me...gotta go.

clabby doo! OMG that is a new one. I have heard many that I dare not repeat, but that's one I will have to remember

heh, yeah it is pretty yucky... have you tried it Barristan? I don't think I'm personally ever going to be hungry enough...but the way my friend's dad described it... made it sound ilke him and his wife were eating chocolate bars in the dark

heh, yeah it is pretty yucky... have you tried it Barristan? I don't think I'm personally ever going to be hungry enough...but the way my friend's dad described it... made it sound ilke him and his wife were eating chocolate bars in the dark

Nope, havent tried, and will not either I think :D

Greetz

• 2 months later...

This thread almost makes me feel that the title refers to me.

Perhaps I could work out a balut and clabby-doo special just for Gogo .....

Probably quite appropriate ... the fertilized egg and the female v*g*na ... "clabbydoo farci" :o

Oh ***** why did I look at this again?

Edited by Bondbug
Oh ***** why did I look at this again?

This thread inspired me to google the top 10 most disgusting foods served around the world. Its SIICK!

Live squids, monkey brains, fully rotten salmon heads, rotten cheeses with maggots inside(its now illegal in the country wher eit is considered a delicacy, LAWL), bird spit(thats right), etc etc

Edited by Rusto

thanks for making me feel like I have to vomit right now!.... almost.

I always try to be open-minded and tolerant when it comes to other culture's or country's eating habits,

in fact I am even very curious and adventurous, and you could always count me in for trying out something new..

(in the end that's why hardly ever miss any of the 'dark kitchen' threads when there's something new ;) )

although I read this one some time ago already, I guess the first time I had to run straight to the bathroom,

so there was no time to reply back then :P

nah just kidding fortunately I didn't had to, tho I can well imagine why one would need to..

that geoduck thing is definitely one of the most ugliest things I have seen so far..

but then again, I have to remind myself that it might look a bit different and maybe even smell delicious one's it's served for dinner on your plate...

( I most certanly HOPE so^^ ..not that I'd have to eat it tho :P )

also, who knows what others think about food we're used to in europe/austria... that might look just as exotic, strange and maybe disgusting to someone else.

edit:

although there're recently not so much updates on the site itself anymore:

the movie&cinema world has horror-films,

for culinary adventurers, there's the D.a.r.k Kitchen - and www.uglyfood.com

(be warned, and maybe don't watch after you just had lunch ;) )

Edited by Rotluchs

hah

I'm eating a nice pork chop now that I marinated in ketchup and soy just like the internet told me to do :P I'm wanting to enjoy it, so, I think I'll take a detour from your mentioned site, Rotluchs ^^

At last till I've digested well heh

:P

gogo

When I was a kid we used to do home butchering 2-3 pigs a year. My grandpa killed the pig and opened the arteria. Aged 5 I was small enough to stand between his legs while he moved a foreleg to pump the blood out. I had to collect the blood with a bucket and twirl it so it wasn't hardening. The blood was used for Blutwurst (blood sausage, blood pudding, black pudding, how ever your call it).

When I was 10 it was my job to clean the bowels, by using a pole to revert inside and outside. More than once I found bandworms and other beasts. And these bowels were used to fill the sausage in.

So I have to say that my stomach can stand a lot, but I doubt that I would have fun to eat some of the above threads.

The most terrible food I ever created myself was at a home butchering. My dad gave a cooked kidney to me. I used to eat it with bread and to drink cacao. But we had no cacao at home so I heated some chocolate and poured it on the kidney, my dad nearly vomited. I considered it tasty. My experience is that you can eat a lot of stuff as long you created it yourself.