Damage : Poison - SO rare

I was working on wiki right now to blow off the week's stress (oowah it's good for that :) ) And...noticed an interesting mod...

Thorwyn's Venom

-. uthorwynsvenomstats.jpg -.

-. th_uthorwynsvenompic.jpg -.

Item Modifiers

It was only when I wrote it and looked back and saw how the words looked...that I realized I had never written that Item Modifier yet into the wiki.

I checked to see if any other single unique or legendary in the game had this mod and none did.

If you look carefullly at it you'll see that this is the mod that is usually found on rings...that jumps up their damage towards magical spells...towards the kinds of elements they are throwing out... so yes, we see them on rings and jewelry... but I just realized that until this point I don't think I've seen something like this too often on a weapon...

Is there something special about this?

What exactly is that mod modifying... poison damage coming off the sword...or... poison damage coming off of spells while holding the sword?

:)

gogo

I can't think of any poison related spells so my best guess is that is only affect weapon based attacks.

Yeah, but its the equivalent of Damage: Magic +xx% which does increase spell damage as well so I would think it would do the same as that.

it's not 100% poison, but if u put a poison fang on it... the poison damage 'll be 90%, good for enemies that don't have armor to poison.

it's not 100% poison, but if u put a poison fang on it... the poison damage 'll be 90%, good for enemies that don't have armor to poison.

Well not quite. Poison fangs convert physical damage to poison whereas the Damage: Poison + xx% increases the poison damage you already have. So depending on the order in which the mods are applied they could work well together, if the poison fangs conversion is applied and then multiplied they would work well, but if its multiplied before converting it wouldnt be as effective.

Is that a new sword? I don't think I have ever seen it? Is it one of the bonus ones you get using those codes?

Damage type is also on Sword of Blood Dryad, its nice to use 2 at once.

Yup, it's one of the unlockables.

Damage: Poison is just a single-element damage bonus. The yellow mod "Damage" is a multi-element one. If you whet that sword, all damage types will appear, but poison bonus will be higher. It's not calculated separately, just added to the element damage bonus.

What about a poison spell.

What If I cast a poison-based spell from this Sword... would this mod boost the damage from the poison based Combat Art as well?

gogo

Yes, but if you have for example a damage bonus on sigma chart of 300% and that item gives you damage: poison 10%, that Combat Art would have a poison damage bonus of 310% (300+10), but not 330% (300 + 10% of 300).

What do you think munera...is there a reason why this mod is so rare? I've never seen it on any other Unique except for this one... is this kind of damage for only one channel, poison, in this case, almost too powerful? I believe I once had a yellow (very very rare) blowpipe I had shopped for... it had spectacular damage in action... and me and Schot were having a tough time seeing where the damage was coming from as it was saying like this sword, Damage: Magic...

would it have meant...that this very strange rare mod ...would have BOTH modded magic damage on my pipe via the crystal...PLUS modded any magical spells I was casting at the same time?

gogo

I don't think that mod is really rare. I think it's even weaker than the Damage +% mod, as it only increases poison damage instead of all damage types. However, what can make it really powerful is that the % given by the single-element damage is higher than the multi-element damage %. A player just get benefits from physical and another damage type, not from all, and if your blowgun had more than 80% magical damage... the damage you got from that mod would be the same as if you whet the weapon in 2 or 3 slots.

To sum up, that mod is really good if you focus in a damage type, but if you have a weapon with several damage types (pistols) this won't be a good idea.

Well, it is rare...it's only on that weapon.. and if we were to check all the other uniques...we would find that this is the ONLY weapon with this mod.

I agree that it's only working for one element ..but look how HUGE the amount of damage it gives is...

So ..what we have is... a mono channel damage modifier..hugely more powerful than any other damage mod at it's level...I think this is why it's so powerful...and perhaps why ( I think anyway) this mod is so rare?

Remember...we this mod USUALLY ALWAYS only on jewelry ONLY..it's the mod that amplifies mono channel spell damage...right ^^

gogo

It's a very interesting weapon but at first glance I passed it off as not very interesting at all. Alas, gogo persisted and so I looked closer. It is in fact quite a special weapon. One that is meant for a small number of build possibilities but if used properly it looks as though it could be quite something. The Shadow Warrior for example has two Combat Arts that can be modded to have base poison damage. I imagine this sword could be useful in those cases. Another thing is that bith the Damage bonus and the chance for poison are quite high. My Niob level 152 smither for example can only smith +42% damage. In Niob. The sword gogo posted has +54% Poison damage. If it was spawned in Plat then it's really good.

I'll certainly be unlocking this sword to have a closer luck later on.

Well not quite. Poison fangs convert physical damage to poison whereas the Damage: Poison + xx% increases the poison damage you already have. So depending on the order in which the mods are applied they could work well together, if the poison fangs conversion is applied and then multiplied they would work well, but if its multiplied before converting it wouldnt be as effective.

I've done this in that iten, what I get was something like this:

|\\PPPPPPPP|

\\ = Physical damage

P = Poison damage

It's a very interesting weapon but at first glance I passed it off as not very interesting at all. Alas, gogo persisted and so I looked closer. It is in fact quite a special weapon. One that is meant for a small number of build possibilities but if used properly it looks as though it could be quite something. The Shadow Warrior for example has two Combat Arts that can be modded to have base poison damage. I imagine this sword could be useful in those cases. Another thing is that bith the Damage bonus and the chance for poison are quite high. My Niob level 152 smither for example can only smith +42% damage. In Niob. The sword gogo posted has +54% Poison damage. If it was spawned in Plat then it's really good.

I'll certainly be unlocking this sword to have a closer luck later on.

Well, I noticed recently while shopping for my current char (level 83 shopper, Barg=260-ish, in Niob), that rare weapons were being offered with the mono-channel damage % modifier. With about the same numbers (I found Fire +56% and Poison +60%) so I snatched them up! Then this thread comes along, and I'm thinking whats' the big deal? just shop out some rare ones (might need a REALLY lucky run to find "same-channel" damage % and chance for secondary effect like the aforementioned weapons). But obviously, that is not the case on PC.

Maybe for one of the patches, that modifier was made a lot less likely to drop/appear on dropped items? Or they made it stop "spawning" on new items, so it only exists on PC for items that were already created and in the game?

As to the usefulness of this modifier, I immediately equipped the axe with the 60%poison, threw in a Poison fang and it had a dramatic effect on my kill speed in the orc lands. So I believe that the % increase in poison is calculated after the damage converter IN THE WEAPON. Gloves may be different, or might be the same. Not too sure about those.

60% at level 83 seems huge compared to the percentage we can find on the PC version, most I have seen at those levels on gear are around 30-40%.

It's entirely possibly that those mods were one of the ones that were nerfed in The Great Item Mod Nerf of '(2.)43 & '(2.)64.

PVdl, damage conversion is applied last after all other mods, hence +% poison damage won't affect you if you're getting your poison damage from a damage converter.

The levels of the mod we get can be low, but it can double up resulting in almost 2x the effect! Like I said earlier, I found a +50% ring on my level 60 niob shopper which was double the norm of the 20-30% you metioned spunky