Locolagarto just got his droid - C'Mon tell us about it why dontcha!

gogoblender

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I just saw on another thread that you got it and you were tapping away at us on it... C'mon Loco...give us the review...I'm dying to know what someone I know things about it.

Tell Us!

:woot:

gogo

LoL, I have never been called out for a post before..... *usually told to shut up and let somebody else post for once.* :woot:

O.k. well I don't think you need a pic cause the one gogos posted is better than any I can give ya.

Well to start with it is almost exactly an iphone. other than the slide out keyboard. Functionally it has the same multi-touch functions of the iPhone (no matter what you read).

the phone syncs like a USB thumb drive to my PC so I can save files to it. The usb cable is actually a charge cable as well. it sync'ed auto-magically to my Windows Media player. I just dragged my Jazz genre to the playlist window and clicked sync and bam! I have every jazz toon in my library on my phone now. Thes browser that come with it is ok. but I downloaded the Free Dolphin browser with the multi-touch (pinch to zoom) support and that is cool.

Functionally it uses Google a lot!. you start by setting up a Gmail account, which I already had. it syncs with Gmail auto-magically. I add a number to my contacts on the phone and Bam! it is in my PC instantly. and vice versa. I don't have to tell anything to sync it just does it.

It Multi tasks. I can have the messenger, browser, maps, and Photobucket app all running at the same time. (BTW the free Photobucket app is awesome. the 5 mega-pixel camera takes awesome pics and can sync to my Photobucket account auto-magically. I took a shot of furian and Bam! it was on my PC in about 15 seconds. with out having to do anything. the built in WI-fi speeds up surfing.

The Droid voice recognition system is Magic. I don't have train it like the early programs that came out. I just hit the search button and say what I want. it searches my apps,, contacts, the map, and the web and gives me it's best guess at what I meant. I was in Indy last weekend for my new job and my wife and I wanted breakfast. I said "Breakfast" and bam! auto-magically it opened the GPS navigator to the pancake house 1 block away then prompted me with the phone number, address, and a navigate button.

Oh I could go on and on. bottom line is Furian loves his iPhone and I love my Droid and the 2 have a lot of the exact same apps available for free. the physcal design of the iPhone is prettier. the Iphones 3G network is dual mode so it can use phone and data at the same time. with my Droid when I get a call the apps still work but don't communicate over 3G at the same time, so I can't text and talk at the same time. no big deal for me. ( Besides who does that?) although if I am in a WiFi hot spot I can still surf the web and talk on the speaker phone at the same time. BTW the speaker is awesome. the clarity of voice while on a speaker call is great.

Downloaded apps:

Dolphin Browser

Photobucket

Weatherbug widget

magnetic compass

Google Goggles - this is a write-up all on its own. takes a picture of an object and searches the web for related into. does OCR read on logos and text too.

Pandora internet radio

Barcode Scanner- scans any type of barcode and then searches the we for a match. very cool party trick.

ha! Loco, I just read your review which is fantastic out loud to some of my friends.. most of them agree that you have a wonderful future as a reviewer...so much detail and perfect insight in the kinds of things I think a phone user would be delighted by.

Move aside Ipod, here comes Da Droid!

:D

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys see the new Android Samsung Galaxy?

OMG

The screen is just sick... some kind of new organic led's they're making with body parts or something (k, jk last part :))

Check this out

1253130074_1252167302_1251690938_samsung-s5600-and-s5230.jpg

And this is the samsung ad for the technology of the new screen...blows away IPOD :o

Amoled (Cool site, neat imagery)

I love this. Now that all the manufacturers are getting in on it, the creativity with new designs is going to rocket.

:)

gogo

The one on the right hand side of the pic is a Samsung Star, I gave it to my GF as a present :)

But, are you really that shocked by the looks? I find it to be a pretty much generic look here, with HTC, LG, Samsung releasing fairly similar looking phones.

It's mostly the way the screen looks that I love. You are right, the rest of it looks like normal touch screen technology phone.

Timo, did your GF like the phone? It's got Android OS right?

:)

gogo

Just when I thought this phone was the coolest thing ever. the Droid just totaly made my century!

So I have be sequestered in this hotel with no closed net for 2 weeks. the withdrawals were just starting to get replaced with just plain cravings. and Wouldn't you know it? there is an app for the droid called PDAnet. download took 30 seconds. I connected the USB transfered the PC program and ran it. and BAM! I am surfing the we at 3G speeds. Speednet said 1.3Mb upload and download. And guess what? I am back on Closed Net over my phone. Who needs WiFi when I got a Droid! HAHAHAHAH!

Lol you'd have terrible lag tho wouldn't you? I've tried tethering with my iPhone and ping an track 3k with regularity.

It pinged 253ms. so not as fast as regular internet, but no bad really. and since Verizons net is limited on simultanous connects I got dropped in the middle of the swamp when my wife called. But still I was running well till I got the call.

Just when I thought this phone was the coolest thing ever. the Droid just totaly made my century!

So I have be sequestered in this hotel with no closed net for 2 weeks. the withdrawals were just starting to get replaced with just plain cravings. and Wouldn't you know it? there is an app for the droid called PDAnet. download took 30 seconds. I connected the USB transfered the PC program and ran it. and BAM! I am surfing the we at 3G speeds. Speednet said 1.3Mb upload and download. And guess what? I am back on Closed Net over my phone. Who needs WiFi when I got a Droid! HAHAHAHAH!

Isn't this just tethering over USB? If it is, you may want to check and make sure your plan supports this... you could very well wind up with a hefty bill for the data you use otherwise. Typically, most providers don't support multiple mac addresses from non-mobile devices on their network. They usually have a clause in their contracts that say stuff like unlimited browsing for "on-device browsing" and so on... just a heads up, in case you weren't already aware of it. :hugs:

Isn't this just tethering over USB? If it is, you may want to check and make sure your plan supports this... you could very well wind up with a hefty bill for the data you use otherwise. Typically, most providers don't support multiple mac addresses from non-mobile devices on their network. They usually have a clause in their contracts that say stuff like unlimited browsing for "on-device browsing" and so on... just a heads up, in case you weren't already aware of it. :hugs:

So far the data is logging in under the unlimited section of my plan. I'll have to see if there is such a limitation.