Argh! When everything goes wrong, not all at once but one after another

Ever have a month where you're feeling all gung-ho to get things done. You've got the drive and the energy to take on everything that needs doing and then BAM. Yah get hit with some random physical ailment that puts you out for a few days; You pull yourself back together and just when you're about to jump back on the fast track something else hits yah. A few more days pass, maybe a week or more, you get over it, get back on the horse and AGAIN. Something else hits yah.

Man, I don't think this has ever happened to me and it is sooo frustrating... It all started when I put my mind to being more healthy and active. Go figure, lol. Around the middle or end of February I finally started to feel "human" again after being smoke free for a fair bit of time. (More on that in a coming topic, woohoo!) Everything was going great and I even reached a personal goal of mine. I reached a weight goal of mine. 150 pounds! Woohoo, yay me, lol. Laugh if you want but no word of a lie it's been a goal of mine for about 10 years or more. Oh I should clarify... To get UP to 150, haha. All my life I've been trying to gain weight... Anyway. Not the point here. I didn't realize that I had gained 150. I hadn't been trying but since I quit smoking I just gained the weight. Then I looked at the blubber just above my waist and, "Ok! Don't wanna be 150 anymore!". Haha. Just can't win. Unfortunately fat does not seem to distribute evenly on me. So! It got me on track to start working out again. Something I always enjoyed doing. I've had gym memberships but I've always found working out at home the best. At least for the first few months of getting into it. Well about 2 weeks after I started working out I developed a pinched nerve. Sciatica I think it's called. The kind that goes from lower back and downwards. It's pretty painful and fairly demoralizing. Needless to say I had to put the get fit program on hold. A week passes, I start working out again and then I get another pinched nerve this time in the neck. Ugh! Pinched nerves are a common thing for me and my mother. It's typical for it to happen to me about 4 times a year. But this... This was just rediculous. The neck problem was borderline serious and even went to a doc for it it was that bad. Doc gave me some oh so cool muscle relaxant which made me a happy camper. ^^ 2 weeks of that and finally I can get back business. Sure enough I was into a nice workout routine when only 4 days after my next little problem decides to visit. This the wierdest of them...

I was at a local veggie store when I noticed a pack of Blackberries on sale for a dollar, (fruits, not the phone :P). It reminded me that I needed to test myself against those for an allergy. I'd have it done for me by an allergist but when I asked about it I was told the waiting line is a YEAR. :bow: Oh the reason why Blackberries is because I had a reaction to a mixed bag of berries, 4 different kinds of berries. So I take the Blackberries home and pop one in my mouth. About an hour later I didn't notice any reaction so I tried another. 30 mins later and my neck and cheeks had turned red and I had a light headache. "Aha!" I thought. That must be it. Content in my genius sleuthing powers I went to bed. All through the night, strangely enough, I had a stuffed nose that was really bothering me. I thought maybe I had "activated" my spring time allergy I've had for the past few years by eating that Blackberry, lol. Flash forward to now and well... I have the stupid flu. I can't believe it. Just after I had eaten the Blackberries in anticipation of a reaction I got one. It just wasn't what I was expecting. Instead of an allergic reaction what I was really feeling the previous night was the onset of my stupid flu. Oh and it's a meeean one too. I'm gonna have this baby for a while I can tell.

What does this mean? Does some higher power insist that I maintain my once well practiced lethargic lifestyle? You ever get months like this? Man. It sucks! :P

Boy am I with ya! I have had lower back spasms for some time now and my weight exaggerates things. Just when I start to feel better I go out so shovel snow, or rake leaves or mow the grass and I am back to being almost wheel chair bound.

Here I have been unemployed for over a year, and spent most of it in front of this computer. I have gained a few pounds as well. although I think I was 150 lbs way back in 10th grade high school, I am pushing double that now. I spent this last Sunday and Tuesday at the airport walking and waiting and moving more than usual and boy did I feel it!

Luckily the flu has stayed away from me. although I did get a terrible chest cold this winter.

And now Monday I start my new job and I will be on my feet all day lifting and bending and moving, etc.... Oh man this is gonna hurt.

I am packing for my trip to Indy to start my job and I think a huge bottle of Motrin is gonna be mandatory. On the good side, I am hoping getting back into the swing of things supervising a production floor will help me loose some of this huge mid-section I have been avidly collecting.!

So sad Schot. hope you'll get over it soon. I remember a few years ago I had terrible tonsillitis and pharyngitis every 3 or 4 weeks. It's really annoying. I've been having problems with my jaw, some days I couldn't even open my mouth for hours. My father fell off a ladder and he got something very bad in is hip. Hopefully he lives to tell that.

Don’t complain about the bad things that come, but be reeeally thankful because of all the good things you have and have happened to you :bow:

Hope everything goes well from now on!

And this is why I will not quit smoking :)

I hate when the dominoes start falling like that though, knock on wood, I haven't had a month like that for a while. Sometimes it feels that life itself is out to get you. Here's hoping April treats you much better :P

Boy am I with ya! I have had lower back spasms for some time now and my weight exaggerates things. Just when I start to feel better I go out so shovel snow, or rake leaves or mow the grass and I am back to being almost wheel chair bound.

Here I have been unemployed for over a year, and spent most of it in front of this computer. I have gained a few pounds as well. although I think I was 150 lbs way back in 10th grade high school, I am pushing double that now. I spent this last Sunday and Tuesday at the airport walking and waiting and moving more than usual and boy did I feel it!

Luckily the flu has stayed away from me. although I did get a terrible chest cold this winter.

And now Monday I start my new job and I will be on my feet all day lifting and bending and moving, etc.... Oh man this is gonna hurt.

I am packing for my trip to Indy to start my job and I think a huge bottle of Motrin is gonna be mandatory. On the good side, I am hoping getting back into the swing of things supervising a production floor will help me loose some of this huge mid-section I have been avidly collecting.!

Oh man the snow this year... I thought I was going to die in December/January, lol. I did soooo much shoveling during that time. I have this sick love for shoveling but I was not prepared for what came this winter. Especially the heavy wet snow. Yeesh!

I can relate to being planted in front of the pc. For a while I didn't even bother getting up. I just wheeled around home in my pc chair. Hehe. Ok, I kid but I've spent so much time in this chair that I'm sure I've made some irreparable changes to my spine. Eh heh. In the thick of things with work and whatnot to be done on the sites I can honestly say I've easily had 8 hour sessions in front of the pc. Not good...

You must be excited to get to work though. After such time away from it it must almost be like you're going to an amusement park. lol @ "Oh man this is gonna hurt." I hear yah on that. When I first started working out again that's exactly what I thought. The first leg workout is also a tough one. Feels like my legs are made of rubber the next day. :P

Have fun on the floor loco. Bring a whip for each hand and jog on the spot. You'll be fit in no time. :)

Day and night

Day and Night?! We gotta talk to the man upstairs. ^^

So sad Schot. hope you'll get over it soon. I remember a few years ago I had terrible tonsillitis and pharyngitis every 3 or 4 weeks. It's really annoying. I've been having problems with my jaw, some days I couldn't even open my mouth for hours. My father fell off a ladder and he got something very bad in is hip. Hopefully he lives to tell that.

Don’t complain about the bad things that come, but be reeeally thankful because of all the good things you have and have happened to you :)

Hope everything goes well from now on!

You make an excellent point Munera and it is something I try to remember every day. :) That I am very fortunate in many ways and that life can ALWAYS be worse than it is. I'll try harder to think about what I'm going to do rather than what's being done to me. ^^ But it IS really annoying. Of course I know that eventually this will pass and that I will get to do what I want to do but dangit... I wanna do it now! ^^

I hope your father recovers well. That sounds like a serious accident.

And this is why I will not quit smoking :)

I hate when the dominoes start falling like that though, knock on wood, I haven't had a month like that for a while. Sometimes it feels that life itself is out to get you. Here's hoping April treats you much better :D

Bah! You just don't want to quit smoking cause then your throat will heal up and your voice will return to it's natural high pitch. :D

Ah that's the analogy I was looking for. Stupid dominoes. I never did like that game. This is exactly it though. It's literally one thing after another. If it was in November I probably wouldn't have cared so much but we're pretty much in Spring time now. I've got all sorts of fun plans I want to get underway. I'm just so eager to get going but these dominoes keep blocking my way.

Thanx guys. Feels good to just blurt it all out sometimes. I'm pretty sure I had the worst of my flu last night so I should be good to go in a few days. Can't wait!

I feel for you man, I really do. I know all about the things that pile up like that. I currently take a paxil every morning and an atavan(sp) every 8 hours as well.

As for the sciatica.....oh man! I am no stranger to that pain.

Sciatica is typically pain, numbness or weakness in one leg....and I should know...I've had numerous injections, surgeries and nerve cauterizations to alleviate the problem..it can be caused by several things like repetitive heavy lifting or playing football or being in an accident.

For me where the nerve exits the spine, the opening narrowed (from bone/calcium deposits) and impinged or pinched the nerve. Sciatic can be very very very painful. Even all the procedures didn't cure it. I'm on pain management for the rest of my life. Though it's more common the older you get, many develop this problem in their 20's depending on their lifestyle and/or activities they participate in.

Sometimes it can be cured by physical therapy or a change in lifestyle. Others, like me, will need surgery. Unfortunately for me, once the bone was removed, scar tissue formed in the void left and recreated many of the symptoms I had before. Only one I don't get to often is the shooting pains from the spine right out the big toe.

Ahh! My leg hurts when I read your post. Uff it has to be really bad. My mother has a friend who had a terrible illness. It's commonly called the Suicide's Illness so you can have an idea. She had a vein inside his head that was coiled around a nerve and the pain was horrible. She says it was like a lightening and she didnt even want to get up in the mornings. So she got some surgery and the pain was off, but she has no sensibility in the right side of her face. So as I said before, be grateful. Things can go even worse.

Day and night

Day and Night?! We gotta talk to the man upstairs. ^^

Nevermind that post, I was drunk as hell when I opened Firefox and saw the link to DARKMATTERS ^^

Well hope you'll get better soon, all of you!

I've not posted for a while because of a series of events (World of Warcraft, Parteys, girlfriend :), etc..)

cheers mates! Until I stumble again on this wonderfull page, probably intoxicated by booze :P

Chareos Rantras

Well I'm gonna blame Schot ( just think of dominoes Schot) for getting me sick. Was sick as a dog from Wednesday til Monday. I could barely even function on Weds, Thurs and Fri but still somehow managed to put in 10+ hour days. Just don't ask me what I did those days cuz I have absolutely no idea lol

I slept basically from Friday night til Sunday morning. Just heading out to the store and back Saturday night completely exhausted me. Still got my 70 hour workweek in though :tease:

I don't know if it makes you feel better if I'd tell you you're not the only one, Schot :)

I don't even know if it's supposed to make you feel better,

and I don't know if it could.. but it's a fact, you're not alone as you can see...

last week I got a call from my mother, she told me my grandfather (father of my mother) was hit by an "apoplectic stroke / apoplexia"

(don't know if it's the right translation, but the online dictionary threw this out for the german word "Schlaganfall" )

=> "stroke" (wiki-link)

you can't really prepare for such an occurence, I mean, after a certain point you try to prepare, when your relatives aren't the youngest anymore etc..

but it's really painful when it does happen, finally... and my grandfather was the least person I would have suspect to get hit by a stroke, he always was in extraordinary condition, really amazing for his age (almost 89 now)

what if I'd tell you, he gets up @ around 5 am in the morning, and goes to bed at around 12 pm , each day, whole week,

like he used to when he was still an 'official' employee at work/his company ?

and, that the first thing he does, are his personal 'workout/training' exercises ? including a 'Headstand' on the carpet in his living room?

(*gg* he had to move in the living room with his exercises, my grandmother does not allow him anymore to perform his 'headstand' on the kitchen table anymore)

well, he's always been some sort of 'archetype' for me, and seeing him so 'broken and weak' somehow breaks my heart too...

he's always been some sort of workaholic, dedicated his whole life to his work and his family... so sportive, humorous, etc..

nothing could ever bring him down..

well, and today I had a telephone-call with my mum, she and my dad left the country on short notice to visit the 'cousinship'/'relations'/'relatives' of my fathers dad.. the sister of my grandfather/my fathers aunt died last week..

and I, for one, am unemployed, finally, again... I knew it would happen, I mean it was a 'limited contract' right from the start, still sucks...

also got a slight cold, really happens only on rare occasions, especially now, when winter passes and climate changes as spring is calling...

(it's the quick change from cold to warm weather, in addition to constant wind, we call it 'foen'.. might have to do smth with 'stationary temperature inversions')

and just today, I got drunk, a little bit I think.. I didnt, for years...

I'll get over it, in time.. so will you, and hopfully, we all will, whatever might hit you...

cheer up ! :)

Edited by Rotluchs

@Knuckles & Sil: If there are two people on this forum that can tune my perspective on pain it most certainly must be you guys. I know well the troubles you've lived through and I dare not wish I could relate. Thinking about it now I don't know how you guys manage to keep your spirits up so much. Oh right! The meds. :)

@Chareos & Munera: Thanx guys! I'm doing mighty fine now. ;)

@Rotluchs:

Well, hearing of someone else's suffering doesn't exactly make me feel good, haha. It does provide perspective that, when my pain passes could be food for thought. Granted, when someone is in a moment of pain I don't imagine telling them about someone else's pain is going to make them feel better, lol.

It's very sad to read about your grandfather Rotluchs. I can't imagine how that must have made you feel. I hope he's feeling a whole lot better and you as well. :)

You know, it just occured to me that the subject of the topic I posted might have been missed. Though well wishing posts are always nice. :) I hadn't thought of the topic in terms of the suffereing I have endured over a month. Sciatica is something I've had for yeeeaars and years and although it can be painful I do have a high tolerance for pain and excellent pain management skills without meds. So it's really an inconvenience more than a debilitation in regards to day to day life. But as far as working out at the gym and whatnot, that's a no-go till the Sciatica passes.

The point of the topic however was that I had set a goal for myself about a month ago. A simple task that I have yet to fully realize because of these darned physical inconveniences. It's kind of like trying to watch a tv show but things just keep getting in the way. First the phone rings, then there's someone at the front door, then one of your kids/relations needs something and then finally, after two minutes of peace... The TV signal dies and you end up missing the entire show you had been waiting to watch the entire day. Cept in my case it wasn't a tv show and it sure was long. ^^

@Knuckles & Sil: If there are two people on this forum that can tune my perspective on pain it most certainly must be you guys. I know well the troubles you've lived through and I dare not wish I could relate. Thinking about it now I don't know how you guys manage to keep your spirits up so much. Oh right! The meds. :)

It's like the old saying...If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

It's really just understanding your new limitations and accepting them. In a weird way you simply get used to it after a while. I could get depressed and whine about how life isn't fair or what I'm missing out on but that doesn't help at all. I just get bummed out and I'm still in the same situation. It's all just a mindset really. Unless I have a bad day I don't even think much on it at all.

Oh...good meds definitely help though :)

It's really just understanding your new limitations and accepting them. In a weird way you simply get used to it after a while. I could get depressed and whine about how life isn't fair or what I'm missing out on but that doesn't help at all. I just get bummed out and I'm still in the same situation. It's all just a mindset really. Unless I have a bad day I don't even think much on it at all.

Well said. It's pretty much the same for me.

The point of the topic however was that I had set a goal for myself about a month ago. A simple task that I have yet to fully realize because of these darned physical inconveniences. It's kind of like trying to watch a tv show but things just keep getting in the way. First the phone rings, then there's someone at the front door, then one of your kids/relations needs something and then finally, after two minutes of peace... The TV signal dies and you end up missing the entire show you had been waiting to watch the entire day. Cept in my case it wasn't a tv show and it sure was long. ^^

Don't worry it was a re-run anyways :)

Sorry we took your thread off course a little bit there...but I do know what you mean....kinda like "3 steps forward, 2 steps back". The more you try to achieve your goal the further it seems. Hopefully April get you back on track unless April 1st plays tricks on you :)

Don't worry it was a re-run anyways ;)

Sorry we took your thread off course a little bit there...but I do know what you mean....kinda like "3 steps forward, 2 steps back". The more you try to achieve your goal the further it seems. Hopefully April get you back on track unless April 1st plays tricks on you :)

I think the worst of a situation like long-term debilitating pain would be a lack of purpose during the time of recovery. Being cooped up at home with a nagging pain is much worse than managing the pain while working I find. Well... I guess it would depend on the level of pain and how it is triggered but in my own experiences with sciatica I find it easier to manage when I'm physically active oddly enough. Takes my mind off the pain. It's still there but having a distraction helps; something that requires a great deal of concentration as well as some minor-moderate physical activity involved.

Thinking about yours and sil's approach to understanding and accepting them, I find it hard to imagine to be honest. If my sciatica turned into a constant pain I would have to live with for the rest of my life I think it would take me a loooong time to accept it, lol. Though imagining and experiencing are very different. Everyone adjusts in their time I guess. :) I'm just so accustomed to being spry and limber that it's hard for me to fathom having to accept a constant ache. Though I suppose those days are coming anyway, lol.

No worries about off topic. It was more to convey that I don't need any sympathy cards. ^^

lol @ re-run. Yeah ok. It actually is but I never got to finish watching it the last time either dangit! :P "3 steps forward, 2 steps back" is exactly it. I mean it happens all the time in life. There are days... But this. This is a month! I don't think the dominoes ever fell like this before, haha. Well good news is I'm feeling normal-ish again so I'm for a mini workout and see how it goes! Gots to work off this tubby tum of mine. ^^

Oh and sorry about that flu. Boy was that one KO of a flu though eh. I felt the same way. Just wanted to sleep it was such an exhausting flu. Relatively short one though thankfully.