What happens when some guy needs a printer

Saw this today, I think it's great.

He wrote the software and built the interface for it all himself, very clever.

His comments in the description for the video are excellent.

Saw this today, I think it's great.

He wrote the software and built the interface for it all himself, very clever.

His comments in the description for the video are excellent.

Just imagine a complete lego pc with this thing lol, that just might be every little boy's dream!

Heck quite a few adults' as well, I suppose :)

Sniff, I never had LEGO as a kid. My oldest uses LEGO Mindstorms in her computer/robotic classes. They use to build stuff like robots which find their way through a labyrinth, play connect 4

and other stuff. The Connect-4 solution of my oldest was totally different, because I didn't want to waste hundreds of € for all the sensor kits when I had them already, but not for LEGO. Her Connect-4 approach was to place the game below the ground plate, so not lift system was needed. We didn't have a colour-sensor so light-sensors were controlling every of the slots. The coins were rolling down a trail system and a moving plate was moved along the openings and covered the first slots where the coin shouldn't roll in. All in all she needed 8 light sensors and one engine -in difference to the 3 engines and expensive colour sensor of the video. And the funny thing was: it was the cheapest solution and the only working one. The colour sensors failed when the system was moved and the light coming from another angle. The colour sensors had then to be adjusted again. We had just a loose discussion about how to do it: the idea to hang the game below the plate was her idea. I just did a drawing for the mechanism to cover the slots. Total victory for the only girl in the computer class. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best, even they look not impressive.

When I was a kid I played with Fischertechnik. We have still all the sets from the time I was a kid. There was a set for the Commodore C64 to build a plotter. It was cheaper and better than the plotter Commodore sold:

30571.jpg

Together with a cousin who was already stuyding engineering we did something like this, starting from the plotter frame:

Bild_02_-_Fraeser_hochkant.jpg

A full functional CNC-milling machine equipped with a Dremel mini drilling machine. The selfmade-machine was used by my granduncle to do small metal parts for the fine furniture he was building.

I think without the Fischertechnik kits I would never have developed that much interest in technic, you learned all the basic technics with easy models for trains, cranes and such. Went up to plotters and suddenly you were able to build a CNC-machine.

-images, video and text-

That's pretty cool stuff there chattius! Awesome to have a homebuilt cnc machine.

I know a lot of casemodding enthusiasts who would drool of such a piece of kit ;)

Edited by Timotheus