Thinking of getting Sacred 2 Gold

I recently found I could pick up a factory sealed box of Sacred 2 Gold for $29.99. However, I will not have a system that can run it efficiently until September (waiting on loan and aid checks). I do have a few questions though about making the move to PC.

1. Can I run Sacred 2 Gold on a Linux based system?

2. Can I use 360 controllers or other gamepads on the PC version?

3. Should I also pick up Sacred Gold (I can get it for about $10)?

I'm mainly interested in playing the expansion, since the console versions have no Ice & Blood, much less any patch support, in sight. I really want to get my hands on a Dragon Mage and become more involved as far as the DarkMatters and online Sacred 2 community is concerned. The console version is just beginning to feel limited in comparison to what the PC version offers. Please bear in mind that I am primarily a console gamer and the furthest I have ever dabbled into a PC game was when I got TES: Oblivion (modded everything imaginable and got really invested in it). Thanks in advance for your comments/concerns/opinions.

I recently found I could pick up a factory sealed box of Sacred 2 Gold for $29.99. However, I will not have a system that can run it efficiently until September (waiting on loan and aid checks). I do have a few questions though about making the move to PC.

I'm mainly interested in playing the expansion, since the console versions have no Ice & Blood, much less any patch support, in sight. I really want to get my hands on a Dragon Mage and become more involved as far as the DarkMatters and online Sacred 2 community is concerned. The console version is just beginning to feel limited in comparison to what the PC version offers. Please bear in mind that I am primarily a console gamer and the furthest I have ever dabbled into a PC game was when I got TES: Oblivion (modded everything imaginable and got really invested in it). Thanks in advance for your comments/concerns/opinions.

I can hardly answer for the original Sacred, however your observations and perceptions of Sacred2 Ice and Blood are good ones.

I am not well versed in Linux, but I am pretty sure that Sacred2 only works in Window XP trough Window 7.

there are some emulators out there the adapt a controller to the PC version, however I highly recommend the keyboard and mouse. Being well versed in the Console version and a trained 2-thumber myself the keyboard and mouse seem awkward at first, but now I would not like to go back to the controller. This game is just made for Keyboard and mouse.

I can hardly answer for the original Sacred, however your observations and perceptions of Sacred2 Ice and Blood are good ones.

I am not well versed in Linux, but I am pretty sure that Sacred2 only works in Window XP trough Window 7.

there are some emulators out there the adapt a controller to the PC version, however I highly recommend the keyboard and mouse. Being well versed in the Console version and a trained 2-thumber myself the keyboard and mouse seem awkward at first, but now I would not like to go back to the controller. This game is just made for Keyboard and mouse.

The reason I ask about Linux is because I can't afford a copy of Win 7 unless I can find it relatively cheap (building a custom mATX system). If I could get Win 7, I would partition my hard drive to dual-boot Win 7 and Linux on the same box, but that's just because I would like to verse myself in Linux. I also heard that many newer games have the ability run under Linux, although Win 7 is obviously a better choice because more games are developed under the Windows Operating System.

I wouldn't mind switching to keyboard/mouse controls, as long as it ends up being a good balance between keys and point-n-click.

As far as Sacred Gold, I had an opportunity to play it a while ago, but it was on an older computer that couldn't keep the frame rate consistent. I was actually more interested in the character classes on Sacred, as opposed to those in Sacred 2. I personally liked the Vampiress and Battle Mage. Also, the amount of combat art options was overwhelming at first, but there was definitely a good amount of room for some deep character customization as far as playstyle is concerned.

I guess my best bet right now would be to see if I have a Windows XP disc somewhere in the house. I just don't feel like Windows 7 is worth spending $200 on.

Edited by Bleak_Advent
I really want to get my hands on a Dragon Mage and become more involved as far as the DarkMatters and online Sacred 2 community is concerned. The console version is just beginning to feel limited in comparison to what the PC version offers. Please bear in mind that I am primarily a console gamer and the furthest I have ever dabbled into a PC game was when I got TES: Oblivion (modded everything imaginable and got really invested in it). Thanks in advance for your comments/concerns/opinions.

Alexander!

I'm happy you just mentionned you want to be a part of this community. So many peeps are quick to point out it's buggy nature. But I've always felt that there was a depth about Sacred 2 that nothing else I've ever played can match. Perhaps it's the bugs that helped foster a community spirit that I think is second to none.

Your words have fired me for the day, something for me to run with as I finish this long week at work and head off to Ancaria to relax in.

Thank you and good luck with Sacred 2 PC

We are here to help and eat Poutine with!

:)

gogo

I really want to get my hands on a Dragon Mage and become more involved as far as the DarkMatters and online Sacred 2 community is concerned. The console version is just beginning to feel limited in comparison to what the PC version offers. Please bear in mind that I am primarily a console gamer and the furthest I have ever dabbled into a PC game was when I got TES: Oblivion (modded everything imaginable and got really invested in it). Thanks in advance for your comments/concerns/opinions.

Alexander!

I'm happy you just mentionned you want to be a part of this community. So many peeps are quick to point out it's buggy nature. But I've always felt that there was a depth about Sacred 2 that nothing else I've ever played can match. Perhaps it's the bugs that helped foster a community spirit that I think is second to none.

Your words have fired me for the day, something for me to run with as I finish this long week at work and head off to Ancaria to relax in.

Thank you and good luck with Sacred 2 PC

We are here to help and eat Poutine with!

:)

gogo

I feel like the console users are much less organized and tight-knit as a community in comparison to the PC users here on DarkMatters. I've been on this board just north of a month and already learned a lot, put up a guide that got no attention (it was a TG guide and one of my noob postings, enough said), but at least I can continue learning about the game and when I do get around to the PC version, it'll be like visiting Ancaria for the first time again and a new experience in its own right. If I can put Sacred 2 on more than one PC, I might be able to get it on my laptop about two months sooner. I'm not getting my new desktop until September.

As far as bugs are concerned, I'm glad I got to the bottom of that console bug. I had noticed it before, but never invested the time into it until I saw that thread about it. Now if only someone could help me with my current ant problem... :D

Edited by Bleak_Advent

The reason I ask about Linux is because I can't afford a copy of Win 7 unless I can find it relatively cheap (building a custom mATX system). If I could get Win 7, I would partition my hard drive to dual-boot Win 7 and Linux on the same box, but that's just because I would like to verse myself in Linux. I also heard that many newer games have the ability run under Linux, although Win 7 is obviously a better choice because more games are developed under the Windows Operating System.

I wouldn't mind switching to keyboard/mouse controls, as long as it ends up being a good balance between keys and point-n-click.

As far as Sacred Gold, I had an opportunity to play it a while ago, but it was on an older computer that couldn't keep the frame rate consistent. I was actually more interested in the character classes on Sacred, as opposed to those in Sacred 2. I personally liked the Vampiress and Battle Mage. Also, the amount of combat art options was overwhelming at first, but there was definitely a good amount of room for some deep character customization as far as playstyle is concerned.

I guess my best bet right now would be to see if I have a Windows XP disc somewhere in the house. I just don't feel like Windows 7 is worth spending $200 on.

If you are a student you may be able to get windows 7 free or cheaply (I was able to get it free through my university and also had the option of getting it for Aussie $50 which, seing you are in america could be almost half that in us dollars) which would help with your budget.

If you are a student you may be able to get windows 7 free or cheaply (I was able to get it free through my university and also had the option of getting it for Aussie $50 which, seing you are in america could be almost half that in us dollars) which would help with your budget.

Yeah, my old university gave Windows 7 Professional to me for free, but it was only for use on 1 machine (my laptop). I might just buy a base system from Best Buy or somewhere with the processor and motherboard I want and tweak things on it. At least that would get me Windows 7 Home Premium for no real charge.

*sigh* Need to get a pc with Sacred 2 Ice & Blood, dragon mage does look cool (think the mentalism set looks the best, others are just ok). I'd say you're right about the console community not being as close as the pc community (then again maybe it has something to do with psn and my mic problems).

To answer your question about Sacred Gold, I have played all characters in it and it's a totally different experience than Sacred 2 Gold. I bought the Gold versions of both games because most of the patches were already installed and both ran perfectly straight out of the box on my systems. Sacred Gold will not run on any windows 64 bit OS even under compatibility mode. Keep that in mind when buying a new system as most come with 64 bit Win7 from the upscale PC builders. I run Sacred 2 Gold on my 64 bit sys in XP service pack 3 mode and have no problems with frame rates or other glitches. For some reason the load screens would freeze up under straight Win7 but my sys is an i975 overclocked to 4.2 with a Radeon 5970. Also, there is a wealth of info on both games on several sites, I.e. Wolfe's Lair, Sacred Wiki as well as Dark Matters. As far as controls go you will actually have more control and quicker response once you get used to the keyboard and mouse configs. Also, you can modify the config to suit your playing style or if you are a lefty.

rnarchlord: Actually, Sacred Gold works just well in my Win 7 64bit Ultimate, without comp mode or anything. Tested just today. Only problem was resolution, my 24" monitor just can't scale it right...

And about that Sacred 2; if you have the nevest patch with Ice & Blood, you should be able to play it just fine without compability mode. I'm sure it would crank up the performance, seeing there's no Direct X 10 support for Win XP.

Stormwing: I got an error message with sacred Gold that stated the program will not run in 64 bit each time I installed it and then tried to play. I'll try again and see if I can get past the error message. My sys is an i975 overclocked to 4.2GHz so that may be causing a timing problem loading some of the data files when I try to play the game. Sacred 2 Gold would freeze on the loading tip screen and only stopped freezing in comp mode. I'll reinstall and see what happens in the next few days.

rnarchlord: Odd. Oh, mebbe I'm getting lucky with Sacred Gold. It's exactly the same install I made years ago. :D I'm prolly reinstalled XP thrice and Win7 couple of times and it's never been broken. I'm not really an expert with overclocking and stuff, specially Intel's stuff. Always and AMD.Though my 5400+ runs in 2.96GHz per core very steadily.

Reinstalls could work. I kept getting the crashing after couple of minutes without Ice & Blood. Comp mode was only option. In version 2.65.1 everything works just fine.

^ Sometimes it's like playing a shaman with comps. Such strange things occur. :P But nice to hear it worked out. ^^ I'm sure you'll be able to crank up the graphs a little, if they're not on top, now that DX 10 is avaiable.

Hopefully things go well with SG too. Just updating it to latest patch should do the trick.