Life Leech, how does it work?

I wonder if anyone can help me with a little problem that I seem to be having. I have been documenting the progress of my build on this forum (Podgie the Bearbarian - the Invisble Mass Killer), and as I am doing so I have been keeping a closer watch than usual on what is happening. I usually just play it and watch the corpses pile up! As a result of that careful watching I have realised that the +XX life leach items that I have socketed do not seem to be working.

When I socketed similar items into a Dryad's blowpipe, it was easy to see that they worked because every time I shot anything, golden lines of life leach connected to my character. When I socketed the items into my Shadow Warrior's weapon, I assumed that the +LL would apply to his Skeleton Fortification attack. No such luck! Not only were there no such lines, when I decloaked and allowed myself to be hit so that I could see if the +LL raised my health back up, it didn't.

OK I thought, perhaps it will only apply to melee hits since they are socketed into the weapon, so I had them unsocketed and wore them as the rings and amulets that they were, but it made no difference. Can it be that +LL will not apply to spells? Is it just with Skeleton Fortification? Or is there something that I do not know about that applies in this case?

Oh poo! This build only uses Skeleton Fortification, that is the whole point of the build. I suppose that I will just have to manage without LL then. :)

Does that apply to +LL% as well? And does the same apply to spells for the other characters as well?

Edited by podgie_bear
Oh poo! This build only uses Skeleton Fortification, that is the whole point of the build. I suppose that I will just have to manage without LL then. :)

Does that apply to +LL% as well?

Sorry to say, but yes. Skellie Fort is a "nonweapon" Combat Art, for the mods that matter if a CA is weapon-based or not.

If you want, the shadow warrior won't decloak if you attack with a %LL shuriken so you can chuck him one of them and he can attack normally, get the leech as well as casting his Combat Arts, plus, it will give you some better damage vs bosses.

Yes, but how does +LL and +LL% effect other spells, such as High Elf's Cobalt Strike, Dryad's Viperish Disease, Seraphim's Radiant Pillar, or Inquisitor's Clustering Maelstrom? Are they all incapable of life leach as well?

Yes, but how does +LL and +LL% effect other spells, such as High Elf's Cobalt Strike, Dryad's Viperish Disease, Seraphim's Radiant Pillar, or Inquisitor's Clustering Maelstrom? Are they all incapable of life leach as well?

Yup ;) Only CAs that are based off weapon damage (Archangel's Wrath, Pelting Strikes, Soul Hammer, Assailing Sommersault, Darting Assault, Ravaged Impact, Frenzied Rampage, Demonic Blow, Scything Sweep, Spectral Hand, Magic Coup, Callous Execution, Ruthless Mutilation, Dedicated Blow, Battle Extension, and Deathly Spears) If I forgot one forgive me :)

Edited by ryanrocker1217

I just saw your work on the Wiki ryan with the writeup about leech and where to get it via bargaining. It's a very good idea and has utility for what is probably the biggest damage doer in the game.

Good job

;)

gogo

All characters will have (at least) one CA that can be modded for +xx life leech (with the exception of the seraphim apparently):

Levin Array

Dragon Berserk

Frenzied Rampage

Jolting touch

Demonic Blow

Magic Coup

Callous Execution

Ruthless Mutilation

Dragon Berserk

Veiled SW + Frenzied Rampage + dual Kal'durs :)

*ponders*

Using FR with a melee weapon would un-Veil you, but it would be useful to get into the middle of a mob without being harmed.

Veiled SW + Frenzied Rampage + dual Kal'durs :)

*ponders*

Using FR with a melee weapon would un-Veil you, but it would be useful to get into the middle of a mob without being harmed.

Actually, no it wont. My veiled SW can spam FR til the cows come home and doesnt uncloak.

Right click attacks won't un-veil you, only left click attacks :)

Unless of course your detection rate is not up to 100% yet, in which case there is still a chance that you can be un-veiled even with right click attacks.