Can't start the game without internet connection

My game version is 2.12.0 US and I was finally able to patch it to 2.31.0 by downloading the "right" patch from Gamehell after reading a post on this forum (forgot the title).

Now I'm trying to install the patch 2.31.0 to 2.34.0 but an error message tells me that some files have changed so I've to reinstall the game then it shuts down!

As I said, previous issues prevented me to patch the game cause of wrong file (yet finding the right patch it's a bit confusing) also I got same alert messages like that I've to reinstall the game which was just a generic suggestion but not the real solution.

Can any one please help me on this issue?

Thanks in advance

Hang in there with things I'm sure this will get sorted for yourself, we have alot of players whom have the "American" version of the game, I remember somewhere that if you had this version it required a different process to that of other versions and the common (British English) version.

If you can be bothered performing a clean install again, next time you do so, try using the full 2.40 patch that there are links for here:

Patch 2.40.0

You can then install 2.43 on top of that if you want.

Edited by Dragon Brother
Hang in there with things I'm sure this will get sorted for yourself, we have alot of players whom have the "American" version of the game, I remember somewhere that if you had this version it required a different process to that of other versions and the common (British English) version.

Thanks for feedback :)

If you can be bothered performing a clean install again, next time you do so, try using the full 2.40 patch that there are links for here:

Patch 2.40.0

You can then install 2.43 on top of that if you want.

Hi Ashley,

woww so quick support! :)

So basically I've downloaded around 3GB data until now (and you know we pay per download quota!) to realise that I've to bin everything LOL

By the way, I already downloaded the file you suggest me from Sacred 2 - 2.40.0 US Game link but it didn't work.

I see it has same name, maybe it's corrupt?

Also I remember that my game version is the "2.12.0 US" while the patch you suggest says "2.12.2 to 2.40". Anything wrong with it?

And please guide me regarding on how to save my character, uninstall the game (still not clear how the bloody DRM works!) and then reinstall it.

Should I make another thread for this?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, well that site was kinda confusing because it calls it both the US and the UK patch. Anyway, with this game, if you bought it in Australia it should be the uk version, however, I assume you know what you are talking about and do have the US version. Basically, the US version was released as version 2.12 and that patch patches from 2.12 to 2.40. If you havent started downloading, the official link from the sacred2 website for the us version links to this site here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_sacred2_downloads.html

You want to download the full US patch, not the small one. After that, the only other patch is the one that patches 2.40 to 2.43. The links for all the patches are here:

http://update.sacred2.com/dl_us.html

Save files, if you have vista/win 7 they will be in:

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2

Backup that whole folder and replace to restore your savegames.

DRM...there should be a application in your sacred 2 install folder, revoke.exe or something, run that and it should revoke your license. However, I think you can install it 4 times in 4 months without needing to revoke, so if something goes wrong you should be ok.

I think thats everything, so good luck, and any more questions, just ask.

Edited by Dragon Brother
Ok, well that site was kinda confusing because it calls it both the US and the UK patch. Anyway, with this game, if you bought it in Australia it should be the uk version, however, I assume you know what you are talking about and do have the US version. Basically, the US version was released as version 2.12 and that patch patches from 2.12 to 2.40. If you havent started downloading, the official link from the sacred2 website for the us version links to this site here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_sacred2_downloads.html

You want to download the full US patch, not the small one. After that, the only other patch is the one that patches 2.40 to 2.43. The links for all the patches are here:

http://update.sacred2.com/dl_us.html

Save files, if you have vista/win 7 they will be in:

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2

Backup that whole folder and replace to restore your savegames.

DRM...there should be a application in your sacred 2 install folder, revoke.exe or something, run that and it should revoke your license. However, I think you can install it 4 times in 4 months without needing to revoke, so if something goes wrong you should be ok.

I think thats everything, so good luck, and any more questions, just ask.

I knew in this forum feedback is always straight to the point, well done and thanks, I finally was able to install the bloody patch!

I even uninstalled my character, did registry cleaning and voila' it still was sitting there in the game option LOL!

Thanks for help and sorry for vent.

Yet I had to purchase a "temporary" and slow internet connection in order to validate this game, and that is fine.

But now any time I start the application it still requires an internet working connection otherwise it just shuts down!

In my point of view this is illegal because there isn't any mention about it.

Soon I won't have internet on this computer, what can I do?

Thanks in advance.

PS: a note to Ascaron & Securom, I won't buy anymore a game which includes viruses such as DRM (LOL) , you guys are loosing customers and loyalty!

Edited by gogoblender
Content removed, please no references to piracy

Strange, I have played Sacred 2 for about one year without internet connection, and I never had the problems that I needed internet to play after I did the activation.

BTW, Ascaron cant loose customers since they are out of business already.

Ok, ignoring some of the points mentioned, Im guessing that since you have the US version in australia you have installed the game via steam...is the the case?

If so, its steam that is requiring you to connect to the interent not Sacred 2 itself. A quick google gave me this which should help you with your issue if so:

Internet required for Gameplay?

Hope that helps.

Ok, ignoring some of the points mentioned, Im guessing that since you have the US version in australia you have installed the game via steam...is the the case?

If so, its steam that is requiring you to connect to the interent not Sacred 2 itself. A quick google gave me this which should help you with your issue if so:

Internet required for Gameplay?

Hope that helps.

Thanks for support.

My version is the boxed one from CDV US.

As I said if I don't allow internet connection, the application after a while shuts down.

6ixlra.jpg

If all you have is a box version it should run fine....there are issue with the game crashing however that have nothing to do with the internet. Main causes for this are having physx turned on, and also elite graphics can cause crashes. Usually, its recommended to turn them both off to get things running. Also, physx should be both disabled ingame and in the nvidia control panel if you have that installed. There are other threads around about the game crashing...you could try looking through this forum section a bit further. If you have vista or win 7 maybe running in compatibility for XP starter pack 3 is one other option.

PS...just to make it clear, while the game does try to connect with the main servers, this is not needed to run the game, a lack of internet connection is not your issue.

Edited by Dragon Brother
PS...just to make it clear, while the game does try to connect with the main servers, this is not needed to run the game, a lack of internet connection is not your issue.

Sorry but I see you missed the point or either you didn't read my posts.

Can you see the picture above?

I read your posts and didn't miss the point. You dont have internet, and you're firewall is telling you that the game is attempting to connect to the main servers, yes?. However, I am telling you that this isn't causing your game to crash. Allow the connection if you want, as you've said, you dont have internet so it cant hurt to do so since it will not be able to go anywhere. This is something that popped up the first time I ran the game (while playing Singleplayer) and stayed in the background until I closed the game and realised it was there, all the while it was there asking for my permission the game didnt crash. As spunky and loco have both posted, the game will run perfectly fine without an internet connection. When you said the following you make it seem that the game runs and crashes after a while with no internet connection, not crashing as soon as it discovers there is no internet connection.

As I said if I don't allow internet connection, the application after a while shuts down.

This is why I suggested the solutions that I did, as not a small amount of users experienced these crashs in the game after varied periods of game time, I myself had the issue before I installed the Ice and Blood expansion. However, give us a bit of info about your comp and we may be able to give some more specific tips, eg what video card, OS, cpu, ram, is the game installed on the primary harddrive/partition, are you patched to version 2.43, do you have physx enabled?

Edited by Dragon Brother

I read your posts and didn't miss the point. You dont have internet, and you're firewall is telling you that the game is attempting to connect to the main servers, yes?. However, I am telling you that this isn't causing your game to crash. Allow the connection if you want, as you've said, you dont have internet so it cant hurt to do so since it will not be able to go anywhere. This is something that popped up the first time I ran the game (while playing Singleplayer) and stayed in the background until I closed the game and realised it was there, all the while it was there asking for my permission the game didnt crash. As spunky and loco have both posted, the game will run perfectly fine without an internet connection. When you said the following you make it seem that the game runs and crashes after a while with no internet connection, not crashing as soon as it discovers there is no internet connection.

This is why I suggested the solutions that I did, as not a small amount of users experienced these crashs in the game after varied periods of game time, I myself had the issue before I installed the Ice and Blood expansion. However, give us a bit of info about your comp and we may be able to give some more specific tips, eg what video card, OS, cpu, ram, is the game installed on the primary harddrive/partition, are you patched to version 2.43, do you have physx enabled?

Hi Ashley,

I thank you for following my issue but believe me this isn't a computer related issue.

I'm a computer trouble shooter and during my spare time I do service, that doesn't mean I understand every thing but for sure I know my computer.

I never said that the game crashes, it just shuts down unless I give internet permission.

Yet I can make a rule within my firewall so to allow it, but as I said I just got a "temporary" (not permanent) internet connection, so what happens when I won't have internet? I want to be "free" to play any time I want!

Shuts down as in how? If its still running in the background can you not alt-tab to it? What exactly happens when you try to run the game without an internet connection? Are you actually able to get into the game, start a character/save game? Does the game completely close (so as not to be running anymore) or simply minimize itself (running but not the active window)?

I realise that it must be frustrating answering these questions if you feel that you should be capable to fix your issues with the game, but there are alot of weird bugs present in this game/hardware conflicts which have come up before here that may be similar to yours.

Shuts down as in how? If its still running in the background can you not alt-tab to it? What exactly happens when you try to run the game without an internet connection? Are you actually able to get into the game, start a character/save game? Does the game completely close (so as not to be running anymore) or simply minimize itself (running but not the active window)?

I realise that it must be frustrating answering these questions if you feel that you should be capable to fix your issues with the game, but there are alot of weird bugs present in this game/hardware conflicts which have come up before here that may be similar to yours.

I'll be happy to answer all questions you want to.

The game starts by doing the initial check (the black and green screen) then it waits for the internet connection, I just got a few seconds to check in the firewall pop up window and give permission then the game starts normally.

If I don't give internet permission, the game after a few seconds from the request shuts down, no warning, no alert.

I can run the game as long as I've internet connection, next game I buy (if I buy it) I won't make the same mistake.

Sacred 2 is by nature a server/client application. it must establish a network connection to work. there are two applications s2g.exe(server) and sacred2.exe(client.) you must open your firewall/anitvirus to both applications or you will not be able to play.

the IP 127.0.0.0 is not a valid internet connection as far as I can tell, its a default local ip for the purpose of the client/server app.

you do not need internet! just allow the application to communicate with itself over ip and you should be fine.

P.S. I don't believe this to have anything to do with DRM. is is merely the connection mechanics between the client/server applications of the game. One the game has been validated. an internet connection is no longer required.

Loco is right. Why didn't I think of that earlier. Loco said 127.0.0.0, wich is the network adress a computer refers to when pointing to it's own port, your computer is placed on place 127.0.0.1 in that network (that exists of only your pc).

There we go, I knew someone would come along and shine some light on the situation :)

the screenshot post of his software firewall gave it away when I saw 127.0.0.1.

Thanks very much for support and for fixing my problems.

Yet stupid me too I didn't even bother to look at the address!

Thanks for help, now I can kill many monsters and cockroaches! :)