Blacksmithing - Slot goes red doesn't let me put anything in

Hi everyone

I recently started leveling a new char (SW) and picked up blacksmithing (mostly to unlock EP, but wanted to use it anyway). The problem is it doesn't work, when I try to put something in the slot it goes red and doesn't let me do it. (I get no error messages or anything just goes red and if I visit regular blacksmith it works fine).

Is there a bug related to this, or do I have to be in a special place or does level of blacksmithing sets the max level of items I can work with (I.e. I can't use lvl1 blacksmithing to socket lvl100+ items)?

Not every slot will accept all items. For instance 'cyan' coloured slots will only accept elemental items such as lava rock (fire damage), ice crystal (ice damage), poison fang (poison damage), etc. Bronze, Silver and Gold slots will socket other types of items. I can't remember off hand which sockets will accept which items, but try looking at SacredWiki, start here, Blacksmithing

Of course, I know that, I used a blacksmith before ;)

So scenario:

1. I take a lvl75 set item (chest) with a gold slot

2. Open my blacksmithing (lvl1) and try to put a rune in the slot

3. All slots go red and I can't put it in (can't put anything in there, tried rune, ring, amulet and chunk of lava).

4. Visit a blacksmith and put the same rune in the same slot no problem.

(the same thing happens for any item not just the chest in question. I didn't try low level items in it tho)

In Blacksmith, there's the + to maxium workable item, so you can't work on level 70 item, if BS is only in level 1. Mostly only very low level items are workable.

Ok, now I double checked the link you sent (I've seen it before but didn't really pay attention to the table ;))

The table has a row "Workable Item, +level:" and shows that there's indeed a max level of workable items. I can't check now but will check when I get home if that's what caused my problems.

EDIT:

My answer was to Pogie.

@Stormwing: If I understood the table correctly it's "Workable Item, +level:" so at lvl1 I can work with items that are my level or lower (my sw is lvl50 atm), but due to high survivability most mobs are much higher level than I am so they drop higher level items and I can't work with them when they drop.

Please correct me if I read the table wrong and that I need BS lvl75 to work with items lvl37. That would make BS pretty useless...

Edited by ne_dam

Not enough caffeine for yet... ;)

Yes, it should be pretty much that way. Your current level +BS addition. Surely, someone with more info about the inner workings, please clarify...

Hi everyone

I recently started leveling a new char (SW) and picked up blacksmithing (mostly to unlock EP, but wanted to use it anyway). The problem is it doesn't work, when I try to put something in the slot it goes red and doesn't let me do it. (I get no error messages or anything just goes red and if I visit regular blacksmith it works fine).

Is there a bug related to this, or do I have to be in a special place or does level of blacksmithing sets the max level of items I can work with (I.e. I can't use lvl1 blacksmithing to socket lvl100+ items)?

Blacksmith skill is broken for the console along with Alchemy. For the Alchemy skill is broke because you cannot slot it and have to open the inventory to use it. Therefore it is a wasted skill and you should of took something like riding

Thanks everyone for replies, I checked and it was a level issue.

Pretty much I must have blacksmith around lvl40 to make sure I can socket items as soon as they drop. I'll most likely make a gear set with + to all/general skills in order to keep up.

ne_dam are you saying you managed to get the blacksmithing skill to work on the console:) Or have you just read somewhere that you need lvl40 to make it work?

I dunno if you noticed Zeus331's post before your previous but as he said "Blacksmithing skill is broken for the console".

I've never tried it thoroughly but ive heard people have and even at level 75 it didnt work.

Your profile says yur on PC, are you actually using a console for this?

If you've got it working do let us know... and how :)

Thanks,

FaLLa

Hmm account says PC and they seem to have Blacksmithing working, is this maybe just a case of posting in the wrong place? I hope that they have worked out how to use it on the consoles and if they have, then I'm sure there shall be plenty of very interested people here on the console part of the forum heh otherwise perhaps a mod should move this to the right place?