Pancakes!

So, random topic. But I love pancakes!

so here comes the big question: take the time for some homemade ones or just right out of the box?

I personally won't touch boxed 'cakes, cause I have a perfect recipe that's had like 5 years of cummulative tine in making, and is absolutely delicious!

your turn =]

Morning Steven

It's rare I even eat pancakes actually. It's something I'll eat if someone else is cooking or I go out for breakfast. Breakfast for me growing up was usually left over rice and curry or cold cereal

;)

gogo

Nothing wrong with cold cereal! as long as we're talking Reese Puffs and milk here... x]

But rarely pancakes?! D= you've been deprived of deliciousness! (provided someone with some skill is making them from scratch, lol)

We never had pancakes as kids too, we did waffles in a real big waffle iron on a wood oven in the open flame. My mom used to say its quicker and less battling for the next pancake.

We have 5 kids and we do mainly waffles for this reason too. If we do pancakes or waffles we replace some of the sugar with:

sugar beet syrup. But I saw sugar beet syrup only rarely outside germany.

• 5 months later...

Just a question to clarify. we had numerous discussions at chef school about it, but no one gave satisfactory answers.

Pancakes, as we know them in South Africa, are thin and the mixture is very runny, in america (and elsewhere) they are very thick with a spooning consistency, and they call our pancakes 'crepes'?

But then what is the difference between flapjacks/crumpets and the american pancakes?

Just a question to clarify. we had numerous discussions at chef school about it, but no one gave satisfactory answers.

Pancakes, as we know them in South Africa, are thin and the mixture is very runny, in america (and elsewhere) they are very thick with a spooning consistency, and they call our pancakes 'crepes'?

But then what is the difference between flapjacks/crumpets and the american pancakes?

American pancakes vs Crepes

Flapjack is another name for a pancake in America. Might have a different meaning elsewhere in the world. Crumpets appear to have a LOT more air (consequently the huge holes) and seem to be even thicker than American Pancakes typically are.

If you are going to cook pancakes, I cannot see why you would not do it from scratch. It is just 1 cup each of milk and flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1 tablespoon each of oil and sugar. The batter will be ready before the griddle is hot.

Edit:

I forgot the egg.

Edited by lujate

I'll eat a pancake any way which way possible right now (huge late night hunger pangs). I'll only insist on real maple syrup, and only if someone else buys it cuz it's SO EXPENSIVE.

:D

gogo

In our area the farming is mainly wood pasture. So people have easy access to buckwheat, spelt, millets, ... Our small company gets its lunch delivered by a nearby farmer's wife. She has a great recipe of a buckwheat/millet pancake and I often ask her to make some for me for the next day. One day we had visitors from Japan at work and one said to me if there would be a corean restaurant nearby because I would be eating Memiljeon, a corean buckwheat pancake. I said if the question was because he was trying to escape our feared hessian food and he said no, he would be really interested. I said it must be a case of co-evolution, because I am absolutly sure that this woman was never in corea or would have visited a cooking school for international recipes and that she probably like me wouldn't even know what a Memiljeon is. I gave one of the Buchweizen-Hirse-Pfannkuchen to him and he agree that even the look and taste of the buckwheat was close, the used spices and herbs differed. The wife was using potato starch as a glue (just buckwheat would fall apart) and used bear garlic as a spice.

Memiljeon

220px-Korean_buckwheat_pancake-Memiljeon-02.jpg220px-Korean_buckwheat_pancake-Memiljeon-01.jpg

Maple syrup, sugar beet syrup, plum jam

I think it is all a matter what you were used too as a kid. Maple syrup is even more way too expensive here on the other site of the big pond. Not only for the way lower price I like sugar beet syrup or plum jam more.

In your way of seeing it, has a pan cakes to cover the whole pan? Or is it allowed to swim in hot oil?

Would you call a Berliner Pfannkuchen (left picture) a pan cake? Pfanne is pan and Kuchen is cake, so it would be a one to one translation.

250px-Berliner-Pfannkuchen.jpg250px-Kartoffelpuffer.jpg

Are Kartoffelpuffer(potato pancakes) on the picture right pancakes?

If I just use the word Pfannkuchen then it is automatically a potato pancake and I have to think twice that in other area's a pancake might be something totally different. The husband of my sister is from Berlin area and uses Pfannkuchen for the 'Berliner Pfannkuchen' which we just call Berliner because a Pfannkuchen without potato can't be a Pfannkuchen. But he says Kartoffelbuffer to our potato pancakes, ...

So here I sit and type, puzzling what the definition of a pancake is....

Edit: Link to a pancake which is vegan, free of milk, nuts and gluten for people who have to cook for allergic people. http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17646&view=findpost&p=6918931

Edited by chattius

Interesting... From what wikipedia has to say about Buckwheat - it got it's origins in S.E. Asia - which would include Korea. It spread to China - and consequently west to Europe and beyond - it's now a global crop.

It's also not related to wheat. It's name comes from middle Dutch - a word that means Beech Wheat. It's so named because the seed looks somewhat like those of the Beech tree. And it gets the Wheat portion of it's name because it's used like wheat.

Another interesting tidbit - it's something that can help people with Type 2 Diabetes as it contains a substance that helps transmit orders to the pancreas to produce insulin... Might be time for me to stock up on some Soba noodles.

Gotta love these types of posts.. All the interesting things you learn.