Ranged High Elf build idea

I've been playing Sacred 2 for the PS3 for about two months now and I have a level 83 ranged dryad and a few very low level chars. I love ranged combat and figured I'd try a new build so here it is.

High Elf with Bow

Basically the idea is to use Magic Coup as main combat art with Incandescent Skin and Grand Invigoration as buffs

Skills (in no particular order):

1 & 2 Delphic arcania lore and focus - decrease magic coup regen time and damage

3 Concentration (maybe only 1 point) to get 2 buffs

4 Tactics Lore for more damage and critical hits

5 Ranged weapons more attack and attack speed

6 Armor lore

7 Constitution - more HP and HP regen

8 & 9 Arrant Pyromancer focus and lore - for mod points for incandescent skin and maybe some spells

10 could be Speed Lore, Damage Lore, Spell Resistance or Bargaining

Magic Coup is modded for:

Target focus - decrease evade chance and reflect chance for opponents

Life Leech - more HP regen is nice

Critical - more critical hits=more damage

Incadescent skin is modded for:

Inferno - for more fire damage (this is selected only if fire damage from a bow is affected otherwise select Combusting Arrows)

Revenge - chance to reflect melee damage

Fiery ardor - for more fire damage (again this is only selected if damage increase affects fire damage from bows otherwise Arrant Pyro Expertise or don't mod it)

Grand invigoration is modded for:

Arrant Pyro Expertise

Life Energy - more HP regen is always nice

Resilience - reduced impact of detrimental effects

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

I haven't tried this build yet so I am not sure if it works or not but I will be starting it within the next day or so.

Looks like a decent build idea and I might try it out myself when I have a bit more time.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to equip her with a bow, rather than with an energy weapon?

My daughter played a Shield Maiden. This type of elf is nicely playable sniper style, doing a combination of ranged spells and attacks: frost flare, cobalt strike, magic coup with bow.

Do you play the AddOn?

If yes you will have reg per hit to recharge spells in a hybrid playstyle.

Our latest magic coup builds no longer used a weapon skill. Magic coup has a buildin hit chance which raises with combat art level, attack speed from a weapon skill isn't applied on magic coup, ...

So all you have to do is: get a high level magic coup and a high enough reg per hit to recharge it.

You plan gold modifier for magic coup for criticals. If you do this you give away your chance for area attacks for a melee elf.

In the guide section are some more builds which could be changed into archer-elves. All you need offensive-wise is arcane lore and focus. No need for tactics or ranged skill. Take these 2 skills away, probably bargaining would be a good idea to buy hit chance and damage items.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to equip her with a bow, rather than with an energy weapon?

I have some very nice bows at different levels left over from my dryad, but never really used an energy weapon and didn't think about it

Do you play the AddOn?

If yes you will have reg per hit to recharge spells in a hybrid playstyle.

Just thought I'd point out that there is no AddOn for the ps3 version.. Though it doesn't invalidate your point as RpH is in the ps3 version even without the AddOn.

Welcome, Vaskov17... I've added some notes in the quote in red

I've been playing Sacred 2 for the PS3 for about two months now and I have a level 83 ranged dryad and a few very low level chars. I love ranged combat and figured I'd try a new build so here it is.

High Elf with Bow

Basically the idea is to use Magic Coup as main combat art with Incandescent Skin and Grand Invigoration as buffs

Skills (in no particular order):

1 & 2 Delphic arcania lore and focus - decrease magic coup regen time and damage

3 Concentration (maybe only 1 point) to get 2 buffs

4 Tactics Lore for more damage and critical hits This skill only works for your "regular weapon" attacks, not for Magic Coup BUT, you need to choose something to open up ranged weapons

5 Ranged weapons more attack and attack speed

6 Armor lore

7 Constitution - more HP and HP regen

8 & 9 Arrant Pyromancer focus and lore - for mod points for incandescent skin and maybe some spells

10 could be Speed Lore, Damage Lore, Spell Resistance or Bargaining

Magic Coup is modded for:

Target focus - decrease evade chance and reflect chance for opponents

Life Leech - more HP regen is nice

Critical - more critical hits=more damage Stray Damage is better, unless you plan on mostly bosshunting

Incadescent skin is modded for:

Inferno - for more fire damage (this is selected only if fire damage from a bow is affected otherwise select Combusting Arrows)

Revenge - chance to reflect melee damage

Fiery ardor - for more fire damage (again this is only selected if damage increase affects fire damage from bows otherwise Arrant Pyro Expertise or don't mod it) only if the bow has "innate" fire damage. Using a Lava rock to convert physical to fire damage, this mod will not work BUT, it will affect your Pyro spells, so it's not a bad choice overall

Grand invigoration is modded for:

Arrant Pyro Expertise

Life Energy - more HP regen is always nice

Resilience - reduced impact of detrimental effects

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

I haven't tried this build yet so I am not sure if it works or not but I will be starting it within the next day or so.

For the 10th pick, I would suggest bargaining. Spell Resistance does not work on console, as far as I know. Speed Lore is useless for this build. Damage Lore would be an interesting pick, but the Mastery bonuses of increased damage and DoT time do not work on the console version.

As chattius said, you don't need tactics and ranged weapons. I'd instead get bargaining and one other defensive skill (toughness or combat reflexes?) since you won't have a shield either. You will have a very tough time in Niob if you only have Armor Lore, Constitution, and no shield...

These are all great suggestions, thank you all very much.

I realize now that I don't need tactics and ranged weapons for speed and damage increase, but ranged weapons would allow me to use higher level bows which would be nice once I get to Niob.

@essjayehm: the reason I picked critical as the last mod for magic coup is because on my dryad I have both ravaged impact and darting assault and it seems that ravaged impact kills mobs almost as fast as darting assault. Maybe that's because the build is setup wrong but it's what I am noticing so far (just started Niob at level 81)

@rhs408: wouldn't the health regen from grand invigoration keep me alive in niob, assuming that I don't get killed by a single hit?

I just started the high elf build and one thing I noticed is that magic coup has a little animation every time it's used before the arrows are shot, I am not sure if this will slow down the shooting once the regen times get to less than a second.

Edited by vaskov17
These are all great suggestions, thank you all very much.

I realize now that I don't need tactics and ranged weapons for speed and damage increase, but ranged weapons would allow me to use higher level bows which would be nice once I get to Niob.

@essjayehm: the reason I picked critical as the last mod for magic coup is because on my dryad I have both ravaged impact and darting assault and it seems that ravaged impact kills mobs almost as fast as darting assault. Maybe that's because the build is setup wrong but it's what I am noticing so far (just started Niob at level 81)

@rhs408: wouldn't the health regen from grand invigoration keep me alive in niob, assuming that I don't get killed by a single hit?

I just started the high elf build and one thing I noticed is that magic coup has a little animation every time it's used before the arrows are shot, I am not sure if this will slow down the shooting once the regen times get to less than a second.

Having ranged weapons will do nothing for your "attack speed" with Magic Coup. ALL the speed for that comes from Dephic Lore. Ranged weapons will help with hitchance and attack speed for regular weapon attacks only. With magic coup, it is a different combat art. You can use a bow that gives you -1000% attack speed (just for an example) and it will not affect your "execution" or casting speed for the coup.

As for the last mod - stray damage or criticals... not a game-changing thing, methinks. Should be fine with either mod.

As for survival in Niob - the HP regen from GI, combined with in-combat regen from Constitution mastery... will not be enough by itself to keep you alive. Well, maybe not. Combat Arts will be your downfall, and they can one-shot an elf very easy, even on the consoles. Look at Rooster's guide to immortality for some ideas about that. Using Shadow Step to stay invisible nearly all the time would be one idea. Keeping an "Expulse Magic" circle 24/7 may also be required.

The animation of Magic Coup - yes, you will have to factor that in when you are deciding what the "ideal" regen time on Coup will be, for rune-eating purposes.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong on this but here goes.

For the question of attackspeed affecting magiccoup, if you use a combat art in a combo then it's cast speed is affected by attack speed due to a glitch on the console. This might be incorrect but thats what I heard, so you could just put the skill into a combo on its own and it would get affected by attack speed instead of casting speed? in which case ranged weapons could be a good skill to take..