Dragon Boss Hates Shadow Toons?

To start off I'm relatively new to Sacred 2, but not to the genera or Ancaria. Well, I'm having a slight problem right now. I decided to try and play through the shadow campaign with a TG after only beating the light campaign with one of my (many) seraphims.

Well my TG hit the same brick wall that the 2 HE's I had tried playing shadow with.

The first dragon boss you fight in the caves (couldn't tell you his name) is giving me some real problems, even in bronze. With all the seraphims I've played he went down very easily, bronze or silver, sometimes without ever having to pot. But every single shadow toon I've fought him with (2 melée HE's and now a caster TG) have been one hit KO'd the instant I exit the dialogue by a large Area of Effect fire (which I've never even seen him use against a light campaign toon).

Is this some sort of bug? I'm playing on a retail version of the game on PC, can't update because of no internet.

Heya tbag and welcome to FDM. :)

I don't think I've ever fought Ordaurcil but if he's anything like Xanthiar then I can attest to the difficulty. Have you had a look at his info on the wiki? Boss#Ordaurcil To have the greatest effect against Ordaurcil you should use Ice damage. The fire breath he casts is extremely dangerous when not prepared. You need quite a lot of fire resistance to withstand that bad breath of his. ^^ You'll want to have Fire Relics for the breath and I beleive his melee damage is magic damage.

P.s.

You could also try casting your godspell just before talking to Ordaurcil. If your using Kuan or Ker this idea might not be so useful...

To start off I'm relatively new to Sacred 2, but not to the genera or Ancaria. Well, I'm having a slight problem right now. I decided to try and play through the shadow campaign with a TG after only beating the light campaign with one of my (many) seraphims.

Well my TG hit the same brick wall that the 2 HE's I had tried playing shadow with.

The first dragon boss you fight in the caves (couldn't tell you his name) is giving me some real problems, even in bronze. With all the seraphims I've played he went down very easily, bronze or silver, sometimes without ever having to pot. But every single shadow toon I've fought him with (2 melée HE's and now a caster TG) have been one hit KO'd the instant I exit the dialogue by a large Area of Effect fire (which I've never even seen him use against a light campaign toon).

Is this some sort of bug? I'm playing on a retail version of the game on PC, can't update because of no internet.

Well... I wouldn't limit the lack of love dragons have to dark side characters. My first TG character had BIG problems getting past Xanthiar (the light side dragon foe). Any build can have trouble getting past boss dragons. Oddly enough, I had just recently gotten passed the Grunwald dragon without so much as a problem. I also was able to get passed the Gar Collossus and the Octogomolus in the Orc region.

But... I would recommend downloading the various patches - obviously you DO have access to the web (otherwise you wouldn't have been able to post here).

You'll need a 2 GB or larger USB stick drive and the version number of the game as you've got it installed. Then you can go to the patches and downloads page and get the ones you need.

If you've got the US version, you will want to get to 2.43.0. If you've got the UK version and Ice and Blood, you can get the 2.65.1 and 2.65.2 patches. The 2.40 patch is also available on the DVD that Ice and Blood comes on.

I've tried asking a few people to get the update for me, even handed out some thumb drives, but it's been months now and still nothing. I can't dl updates on an iPhone with only edge speed access :/

I'm not so worried about the shadow campaign right now, went back to make a (yet another) seraphim build. She's fixing to lay a smack down on a dragon herself.

But, my brother is headed this way this weekend so I'll bug him again about the update. At least get my flash drive back...

Sorry for the double post, editing doesn't work so well on this.

Is Ice and Blood even available for US? I've looked at local and online stores and can't find it except on one obscure site the has a reputation for conning people.

Hi Josh, and welcome to DarkMatters!

You can actually order Sacred 2 Gold online and download it directly from our partner site DLGamer at the link above at the top of this forum.

Cheers

:)

gogo

Thanks gogo but my only form of Internet right now is by phone :/ I'm not downloading jack this way lol

I did just get off the phone with my bro and he's going to get that update for me.

I'm really hoping the update fixes my performance issues as well. On win7 x64 I can barely hold 20 fps with a quad core, HD 5770, and 4gb of ram. Doesn't matter if I max the settings or drop it down to nothing. But then again, since I've "upgraded" to this, most all my games run terrible now.

Thanks gogo but my only form of Internet right now is by phone :/ I'm not downloading jack this way lol

I did just get off the phone with my bro and he's going to get that update for me.

I'm really hoping the update fixes my performance issues as well. On win7 x64 I can barely hold 20 fps with a quad core, HD 5770, and 4gb of ram. Doesn't matter if I max the settings or drop it down to nothing. But then again, since I've "upgraded" to this, most all my games run terrible now.

Egad... Yah.. the iPhone won't quite do it.. That download is like 14 GB with the necessary patches. I think AT&T would likely knock you down to GPRS speed well before you got 1/3 of the game downloaded.

Hmm.. I've got an Athlon 64 X2 chip in my Win 7 box, with 3 GB of RAM, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, and an Nvidia GT220 video card with 1 GB of RAM on it. And Sacred 2 Ice and Blood runs just fine on that. Granted, I did a clean install of Win 7 and everything else. No idea how many FPS I get - all I know is that the animation is smooth. On paper, your system SHOULD run circles around mine.

Before I got the UK version w/Ice and Blood, I had issues with the US version - especially if the graphics settings were anything above minimal.

Now, you say you've got 4 GB of RAM - there IS a patch out there that can help you out with that. It changes how the game uses RAM and is referred to as the 4 GB patch. It's no where near that big - it just helps out with systems that have 4 GB or more RAM installed. Not sure where to find it at the moment - DarkMatter's search engine won't let me search for '4 GB Patch' but Google isn't quite so...darn fussy. Here's a link with some info on how to handle some of the issues you're having.

Make sure your brother gets the CORRECT files. Not all patches are created exactly equal...

I told him to get the 2.43.0 patch for the US version, so hopefully that's what I get.

I would really like to do a fresh install for win7 but that's not happening with no Internet. I think most of my performance issues are from the first generation phenom I'm using. I have a nice am3 CPU picked out for when I get my income tax. Already flashed my bios for it :)

But thanks everyone for all the replies. I'll make sure to cone back here when I'm able to get my comp online.

I told him to get the 2.43.0 patch for the US version, so hopefully that's what I get.

I would really like to do a fresh install for win7 but that's not happening with no Internet. I think most of my performance issues are from the first generation phenom I'm using. I have a nice am3 CPU picked out for when I get my income tax. Already flashed my bios for it :)

But thanks everyone for all the replies. I'll make sure to cone back here when I'm able to get my comp online.

Um.. Yeah... But if you've NEVER patched, and have the base 2.02 or 2.12 US version, then merely applying the 2.43 patch won't quite work. There's another patch - the cumulative 2.x2 - 2.40 patch you need to download and apply first and then you can apply the 2.43 patch.

The patch that gets you to 2.40 is a bit of a whopper - depending on what version you're starting off with, it can be 800 MB to 1 GB in size. The 2.43 patch is like 48 - 50 MB.

You can tell what version you've got by loading the game. It should be on the inital start screen (the one with the silly message). It should tell you the version on the first line. It'll also be on the little window that pops up when you load a game and hit the Esc key to exit. No sense in downloading the 1 GB sized patch if all you need is the 800 MB one.

Sorry for the double post but one more question. On the update.sacred2.com site the first patch is for 2.12.2, and my game version is 2.12.0, build 1419. I don't see a patch anywhere for my specific version of the game. Will the one on the site work?

I'm going to assume that's the same patch from the official site. I was just curious because my game version doesn't match exactly.

Well I'm off to start a new SW, really need to get me a blacksmith going lol. He's shadow campaign, hopefully he doesn't get the 1 shot treatment either after I pump him full of hitpoints.

Talk about a topic going off topic :)

Got to say I have two different experiences with Orducail. The first (on PC), with a Mystic Stormite High Elf, the dragon died so quick I was amazed. I was convinced that I had come up with my killer build, until she ran into the mist monster and she ended up parked at that point. The second (on PS3) was an Inquisitor who got cut to ribbons by the dragon, didn't last more than five seconds even with attempted healing pot abuse. Admittedly, that was a single aspect build, using only soul reaver as his buff, and that might have been the weakness.

To be honest, I think the dragons in both campaigns are the benchmark for characters. If you can take down the dragons at that point, your character has a reasonable chance of being able to get through the game (with the possible exception of my High Elf...)

My inquisotr had no problem killing ordracil on silver while he is actualy wrongly build ^^. I use GI as main and I dont have tactics lore ^^(yet, gonna get this at 65 ;p) Imight also add that he uses only gold smith sockets so hes not op yet. Its Sp, I am thinking on duping my office saber with niob smith from closed net. Actually I noticed I can export as much as I want from closed.net to SP/open.net so can dupe items as much as I want ^^.Double niob smith office saber ^^

Edited by Elwin

I ended up going back to my seraphim instead. Can't seem to stay away from her for very long.

I have the patches now and I installed both earlier today. Loaded the game up and it looked like everything was fine, but I noticed that the game set all my settings to the default values. I tried changing them back but the game keeps resetting them to default. So I checked the options.txt and found that it was completely erased. It was there, but 100% blank. I removed it and let the game generate a new one but this one is also blank. To make matters worse, loading a character gets me a whopping 5 seconds of play time before the game crashes.

So now I've reinstalled the game and am appling the 2.40 patch again. Then I'll load the game, see if it behaves, then try to install the 2.43 patch again and see what happens. I've saved a default options.txt from an unpatched game and if it deletes it again, I'll throw that in and see what happens.

I really wish I could edit my posts via phone, hate the double posts :/

2.40 seems to have installed ok, the options.txt stayed intact this time and it's letting me make changes that are staying applied. Now to load a game...

Ok my seraphim loaded fine. Cool thing, my sword I've been using forever is on fire now O.o

game does seem to run better now as well.

Off to install the next patch.

Alright it's the 2.43 patch that is causing the problems. After installing it I get odd sound stuttering anomolies and the game crashes at random intervals. So it looks like I'll be reinstalling again.

I just installed the latest drivers for my sound, but I might throw my x-fi back in and see how it works. It was causing bad problems in sacred before so I took it out and switched to my onboard HD audio.

Alright it's the 2.43 patch that is causing the problems. After installing it I get odd sound stuttering anomolies and the game crashes at random intervals. So it looks like I'll be reinstalling again.

I just installed the latest drivers for my sound, but I might throw my x-fi back in and see how it works. It was causing bad problems in sacred before so I took it out and switched to my onboard HD audio.

Ah.. So you've got a SoundBlaster card... Try adding "-skipopenal" to the end of your Sacred 2 shortcut (without the quotes, obviously). This will make it default to DirectX's sound handling features instead of the OpenAL (the Audio version of Open GL). That might fix the sound issues.

Also, with the 2.43 patch, I found it best to run the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode. Sacred 2 wasn't made compatible with Windows 7 until the 2.65.1 patch - which is for the Ice and Blood expansion only. To get that, you'd have to get the UK version of Sacred 2: Fallen Angel + the Ice and Blood expansion or simply Sacred 2: Gold. That can be had by clicking on the banner link at the top of this page... Of course, that might be a bit difficult without internet access. It's a bit of a whopper of a download - about 13.5 GB.

I do know that going the Gold route fixed probably 99% of the issues I had with the US version.

It also didn't hurt to run it as Admin...

Edited by wolfie2kX

Running it as admid didn't help any. I didn't even think to try a campatibility mode. I'm almost afraid to because I don't want to end up reinstalling yet again lol.

I don't have my x-fi installed right now, I took it out a couple months ago because the win 7 drivers were just pathetic.

It's nice to be updated, the game does run a lot better now. Bad thing is that the update killed the build I was playing, and even though I backed up all my save data I lost everything in my shared storage. Putting the files back still leaves it empty. now that bargaining is severely nerfed I don't have any quick way to build up all my gear again. But it gives me the chance to start fresh and see how the game was really meant to be played.

Running it as admid didn't help any. I didn't even think to try a campatibility mode. I'm almost afraid to because I don't want to end up reinstalling yet again lol.

I don't have my x-fi installed right now, I took it out a couple months ago because the win 7 drivers were just pathetic.

It's nice to be updated, the game does run a lot better now. Bad thing is that the update killed the build I was playing, and even though I backed up all my save data I lost everything in my shared storage. Putting the files back still leaves it empty. now that bargaining is severely nerfed I don't have any quick way to build up all my gear again. But it gives me the chance to start fresh and see how the game was really meant to be played.

Compatibility mode won't hurt anything. All it does is tell Sacred 2 (or whatever program you're applying it to) that the operating system isn't Windows 7 - it's Windows XP. It also does a few things slightly differently in the way that apps run - so it does solve a lot of issues. I couldn't get the US version to run more than maybe oh.. 30 seconds before it blew chunks without it.

There's always a nerf somewhere.. When/if you get around to downloading and installing Sacred 2 Gold, you'll find that Ice and Blood nerfs a lot of stuff - like + All Skills items (the value just about gets cut in half) but... All is NOT lost!

It's still possible to come up with all manner of cool stuff - and while it may be a bit challenging, it's not impossible. Just look at what these guys are doing on this thread - all manner of goodies - uniques, legendaries, etc..

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13352&st=0

Yeah I've done my research so I was aware of certain things that would get changed. I wasn't ready for losing all my shared storage though lol.

I'm finding that even though merchants don't have a steady supply of uniques and set items like before, those things drop a lot more often now. I'm also seeing items that didn't exist for me before, I've already found a Niocaste shield with the new Seraphim I started. Too bad she's going to be dual wielding :/

I'll give the compatibility mode a shot. If it doesn't fix the 2.43 problems at least it'll give me time to catch up on my solitare while I reinstall again lol.