Combos on consoles

I am looking at adding some combo info to the console section of the wiki. I am comfortable with this info for ps3 but would like some input from xbox360 users.

*There is a common problem with one or more Combat Arts in a combo failing to fire (I.e. the combo stops early). This is frequently caused by the player interrupting the combo. Ideally, once the combo starts, you should not do anything else until the animation for the last CA in the combo begins.

*Targeted Combat Arts will all use the target for the first CA in the combo. If the first CA automatically targets the caster (e.g. Divine Protection, Expulse Magic), then any subsequent manually-targeted Combat Arts (e.g. Radiant Pillar, Incendiary Shower) will be targeted immediately in front of the caster. This may be beneficial for melee characters but would likely be undesirable for caster/ranged characters who prefer to keep enemies at a distance.

I am looking at adding some combo info to the console section of the wiki. I am comfortable with this info for ps3 but would like some input from xbox360 users.

*There is a common problem with one or more Combat Arts in a combo failing to fire (I.e. the combo stops early). This is frequently caused by the player interrupting the combo. Ideally, once the combo starts, you should not do anything else until the animation for the last CA in the combo begins.

Perfect wording here. Although sometimes the combos will mis-fire even if I haven't "interrupted" the combo by pressing another (or even the same) button. But keeping the wording as simple as possible is better. Frequently FTW :)

*Targeted Combat Arts will all use the target for the first CA in the combo. If the first CA automatically targets the caster (e.g. Divine Protection, Expulse Magic), then any subsequent manually-targeted Combat Arts (e.g. Radiant Pillar, Incendiary Shower) will be targeted immediately in front of the caster. This may be beneficial for melee characters but would likely be undesirable for caster/ranged characters who prefer to keep enemies at a distance.

This is good, but we'll also need information for enemy-targeted Combat Arts... if the first CA is self-targeting, and the next requres an enemy-target, it will target the enemy that is closest OR most directly in front of the player if 2 or more enemies are tied for closest.

You are right, the targeting needs more.

As I see it, there are three targeting methods (auto, manual & self) as well as two positions within the combo (first & subsequent). That gives 6 different possible combinations. I will have to break out my bulletproof Seraphim tonight and do some testing.

I don't think you would need 6 variations... just 2. Self-targeting Combat Arts will only target yourself :). When an auto-or manual-targeted CA is first, it performs 'normally'. Then, all is needed is when a targeted Combat Arts target disappears (ie dies) when it is "subsequent" in the combo order.

But I cannot recall how a manual-target CA reacts when the initial target becomes illegal. IIRC, it will cast at the last known location...

Many kobolds were harmed in the collecting of this data. :)

Targeting Combos (take 2)

•  
  • Self-targeted Combat Arts are Combat Arts that always fire and automatically target the caster, regardless of whether they are the first CA in a combo or not. (e.g. Divine Protection, Expulse Magic)
  • Auto-targeted Combat Arts are Combat Arts that automatically target an enemy based on the game's targeting rules. If this CA is the first in a combo, the combo will not fire if no enemies are within range. If this CA is not the first CA in a combo, it will automatically target an enemy if one exists within range, otherwise it will not fire at all. (e.g. Baneful Smite, Cobalt Strike)
  • Manually-targeted Combat Arts are Combat Arts that the player aims with a targeting circle. This CA will always fire, whether or not any enemy exists within range. If it is the first CA in a combo, it is targeted normally. If it is not the first CA, it is targeted based on the first CA in the combo. If the first CA is self-targeted, the manually-targeted CA will be targeted immediately in front of the caster. If the first CA is auto- or manually-targeted, it will target the same enemy as the prior CA, provided that enemy is still alive. If that enemy is no longer alive, the CA may target another enemy within range. If no enemies exist within range, it will either target the same (now dead) enemy as the prior CA or target immediately in front of the caster. (e.g. Radiant Pillar, Incendiary Storm)

(Is it just me, or does that sound like some legal document you might receive from your insurance company?)

Many kobolds were harmed in the collecting of this data. :)

Excellent.

Nice work on the info, it's well detailed. I'd say it's ready to be posted on the Wiki as is. I was able to understand it...and I haven't slept much lately. :)

I also agree with Essjayehm regarding the "perfect wording" of the 1st point, so that would be a great addition also.

(Is it just me, or does that sound like some legal document you might receive from your insurance company?)

Lol! Yep, I can see the connection.

FWIW... This also is something that happens on the PC as well. I've seen it happen frequently with my Inquistor - I've got a combo Clustering Maelstrom + Levin Array - and if I'm too overly eager, I only get the Clustering Maelstrom to go. Sometimes's that's OK - like when the enemies I was targetting are wiped out by the first part. And others it's not for the opposite reason.

Same with my TG's Combat Alert + Fiery Ember or Icy Evanescence. If I'm not careful, I only get part one - plus the extended regen/cooldown time.

FWIW... This also is something that happens on the PC as well. I've seen it happen frequently with my Inquistor - I've got a combo Clustering Maelstrom + Levin Array - and if I'm too overly eager, I only get the Clustering Maelstrom to go. Sometimes's that's OK - like when the enemies I was targetting are wiped out by the first part. And others it's not for the opposite reason.

Same with my TG's Combat Alert + Fiery Ember or Icy Evanescence. If I'm not careful, I only get part one - plus the extended regen/cooldown time.

I have seen a number of console users complain about this but never a pc user, so I assumed it was a console-only issue. Since this affects all platforms, is there a better place than the console page for that part?

I have seen a number of console users complain about this but never a pc user, so I assumed it was a console-only issue. Since this affects all platforms, is there a better place than the console page for that part?

Perhaps this warrants the creation of a page devoted to Combos.

It could contain a description (which would include the info in this thread), the effects of CD on Combos, common issues for PC when using Combos (including those which may be bugged), the same for Consoles.

Perhaps some may want to contribute their favourite combos for each character also, with how each combo is best used.

heh,I just realized that the wiki is bereft of a Combo page which would have definition, description

If you guys want I can set up a new page stemming form one of the other main pages. A true combo description page would be pretty useful.

:)

gogo

heh,I just realized that the wiki is bereft of a Combo page which would have definition, description

If you guys want I can set up a new page stemming form one of the other main pages. A true combo description page would be pretty useful.

gogo

I went looking for the best place to put this info and did not really find a good page. The main Combat Arts page has a few sentences about combos and the Combat Discipline page mentions the console bug, but that was all I found. If we created a new page with the info from this thread, I guess we could also move the text from those two pages and link to the new combo page.

If no one objects, I could try and create the new page this weekend. I have never done it before, but I am reasonably resourceful and am sure I can figure it out (and help is just a click away :)).

I'll look over this tonight and create a new page, probably stemming from Combat Basics

I'll create a red link for you on that page, and you can drop in add whatever info you think is good. Later on others can help too if they have more info.

gogo

Added!

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Combat_and_Game_Basics

On that page you'll see a red link called Combo

You can write in what ever you want into that page, press preview to see what if you like, and then if you're satisfied, press Submit.

You can check out coding on other pages to see how different links etc are done,or later one one of us can come into help with formatting and linking.

Be warned...wiki work is addictive :devil:

welcome to the Wiki Team

gogo

Huh, well that certainly explains why my combos sometimes stop midway, though so far it's only been a minor irritation. Thank you for pointing that out, and thank you gogo for creating an entry on the wiki. :)

Also, as far as wiki work goes, copy and paste is also my best friend. ;)

Added!

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Combat_and_Game_Basics

On that page you'll see a red link called Combo

You can write in what ever you want into that page, press preview to see what if you like, and then if you're satisfied, press Submit.

You can check out coding on other pages to see how different links etc are done,or later one one of us can come into help with formatting and linking.

Be warned...wiki work is addictive :devil:

welcome to the Wiki Team

gogo

I will give it a go. If I have trouble, I will send up a flare.

Aegis, I always seemed to encounter the combo problem when I was in over my head and fighting for my life. It has never resulted in a death but has caused some stressful moments.

I have added a little blurb to the LL% page, but that is the extent of my prior wiki experience. It was just a matter of finding existing pages that had what I wanted and scoping out the code to see how it worked.

Knuckles, I am afraid that bring on ps3 limits what I can do, but I will do what I can.

and welcome aboard to the wiki team :)

Ayes

Wiki Grouping is now there for your post data

welcome!

gogo

I am afraid I have no idea what that means. Can I get the Idiot's Guide version? ;)

and welcome aboard to the wiki team :)

Ayes

Wiki Grouping is now there for your post data

welcome!

gogo

I am afraid I have no idea what that means. Can I get the Idiot's Guide version? ;)

I've just changed your group status here at FDM. Your group status color has become white now (formerly blue) and it now says SacredWiki Member near your name.

gogo

Wow! I had to fire up my PC just to see that. :D

If you are trying to bribe me into doing more wiki work... It just might work. Is there a to-do list I can check for things I am capable of doing?

Wow! I had to fire up my PC just to see that. :D

If you are trying to bribe me into doing more wiki work... It just might work. Is there a to-do list I can check for things I am capable of doing?

*cough*major bribe*cough*