Bouncing camera after dialogs

I am having an intermittent problem with the camera after exiting an NPC dialog. When I go into a dialog, the camera zooms in, and on exit it zooms out. Occasionally, it has trouble zooming out. It seems to jump back and forth between two zoom levels. I still have full mouse control, but no keyboard. It eventually goes away but I am hoping to find a solution. I suspect it has something to do with my camera settings, but I do not know where to start. Any ideas?

TIA

I am having an intermittent problem with the camera after exiting an NPC dialog. When I go into a dialog, the camera zooms in, and on exit it zooms out. Occasionally, it has trouble zooming out. It seems to jump back and forth between two zoom levels. I still have full mouse control, but no keyboard. It eventually goes away but I am hoping to find a solution. I suspect it has something to do with my camera settings, but I do not know where to start. Any ideas?

TIA

I've seen this - it has to do with something being in the way of the camera as it zooms in. Something's in the way. I've seen it in many spots - dialogs with questgivers, when I go to a merchant, or visit my player chest. The solution is to not have that tree, lamp post, cliff, or other obstacle in the way when you zoom in. It sometimes bounces around so much - you get the sensation of being seasick.

Atleast I don't get motion sickness, but it is very annoying when the camera jumps around like that!

I find this quite often talking to merchants (since I talk to merchants quite often). I've found clicking on the merchant again can stop it fairly quickly. Or running behind (or into) something like a building, forcing the camera to angle differently sometimes helps too.

I find this quite often talking to merchants (since I talk to merchants quite often). I've found clicking on the merchant again can stop it fairly quickly. Or running behind (or into) something like a building, forcing the camera to angle differently sometimes helps too.

Even easier solution:

Close the merchant's dialog, hold down the wheel button, rotate to the left or right a skosh and try again.

Talking to the merchant again normally solves it, but the real problem is when the dialog starts a battle.

I think I tried spinning the camera with the mouse wheel, and it did not work, but I will try again. I also wonder of zooming in manually before starting the dialog would help.

Talking to the merchant again normally solves it, but the real problem is when the dialog starts a battle.

I think I tried spinning the camera with the mouse wheel, and it did not work, but I will try again. I also wonder of zooming in manually before starting the dialog would help.

It won't hurt - that's for sure.. Just make sure there's nothing in the way. And yes, you're right - when you're going into battle, you won't get a 2nd chance. But at that point it doesn't really matter. With any luck the person you're pickin' a fight with won't be around long anyhow.

The fights are what concern me. I would not like to take on a dragon, for example, with no WASD, no 12345 and no Space Bar.

I think you may have misunderstood - you can't rotate the view while a dialog box is open. Minor issue when it comes to merchants, but perhaps a bit more problematic with questgivers and fights. Now, when you close the dialog with the mouse - do you still not have keyboard control? That can be problematic. But once you've closed the dialog, you should have full kb control again.

While the camera is bouncing, I have no keyboard control.

I have on at least two occasions, had to flee a quest enemy while the screen was bouncing until the camera fixed itself and I regained keyboard control.

Edited by lujate

While the camera is bouncing, I have no keyboard control.

I have on at least two occasions, had to flee a quest enemy while the screen was bouncing until the camera fixed itself and I regained keyboard control.

Hmm.. ok. That would kind of explain why I can't pick up stuff until the camera finishes zooming out. In which case, it probably makes sense to keep the zoom close to where the camera wants to go when you talk to someone. Less zooming out = faster recovery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke too soon about my problem being solved. Until tonight, it was nothing more than a nuisance. :sigh: I always tried to zoom in all the way before talking to anyone and that always worked.

Just a few minutes ago, my worst Sacred fears were realized. My HE took the quest to kill the dragon Magmadur. I zoomed in and approached the dragon. All I could see were his knees when my HE spoke to him. I exited the dialog and ... no keyboard control. When this happens, I cannot rotate the camera at all (not even with my mouse). I was so close to the dragon, that even at the extreme edges of the screen, my pointer was a sword, not a move arrow. Crippled and standing at the feet of a fire-breathing dragon is not a good place to be. I mouse-clicked healing potions while trying to come up with a plan. I tried F8 but it did nothing. I hit ESC and it brought up the menu. I quit the game. I have not yet gone back in to see if my HE lived or not. :sweating:This is getting to be a real PITA!

:help:

Edit:

She lives! The game started back on Seraphim Island. I went back to face the dragon, but this time had to do it in foot. :(

Edited by lujate

I had the same problem with the bouncing camera and although it was not an ideal solution, I did find a fix for the problem. What I did was in the ingame options, I set the camera's max/min zoom sliders to exactly the same place. It means that you can't zoom in or out, but it also means that the camera can't bounce!

Changing it manually to normal operation or fixed zoom is a bit of a pain, but it does work and is better than losing characters due to this stupid bug!

Perhaps even decreasing the maximum possible distance to which you can zoom in may work. From memory the game seems to bounce most when it zooms in too far, so if you make the minimum not so minimal it may decrease your chance of this happening.

I went back to Schot's guide and realized that his first post contains two different optionsCustom.txt files. I was previously using the first one. It appears that the second one is newer, so I changed to that one. I do not really know what most of the settings mean, but I have got my fingers crossed.

Some time back (after this problem had first surfaced), I adjusted the max zoom because I never need a bombardiers view of Ancaria. I set the max zoom to the level that I play with my HE. I left the min zoom at Schot's level. I believe that is actually closer than the NPC view and the camera has to zoom out when starting a dialog. I am going to try and increase that value to reduce or eliminate the need for the NPC zoom.

If that fails, I am going to try setting the zoom sliders to the same level.

• 1 month later...

I get this as well. I get it at the start of game, when I have to let it play out. As the one key that works for me is P, I pause the game and then play around with the mouse wheel until the camera eventually responds (which can take a couple of minutes). During play, I've found that being at minimum or maximum zoom when initiating dialogue prevents it happening again. As I'm always zoomed in as far as possible when in town, I never get the problem with merchants now. In fact, the only problem I have is when I forget to zoom in our out as far as possible. However, as the P key works even when I forget to sort out the camera, it's generally a matter of waiting.

I have to say, this bug led two of my characters to death against Xanthier before I figured this out!

I have my fingers crossed, but I have not seen this problem in a while. I might have stumbled upon the correct camera settings to prevent it.

• 5 months later...