Steak/Salad Dinner

This one turned out so good, just had to share. The beef was hot and piping when I laid it down upon the spinach leaves. Olives, onions and a cucumber dressing finished the plate.

rvk4yp.jpg

Dinner is served

:chef:

gogo

• Like! 1

This one turned out so good, just had to share. The beef was hot and piping when I laid it down upon the spinach leaves. Olives, onions and a cucumber dressing finished the plate.

rvk4yp.jpg

Dinner is served

:chef:

gogo

We will have to look our savings. Maybe one of these days you may see us up there for dinner! :chef::drool:

Looks nice, albeit a little rare for my tastes.

I never think to take a picture of what Im about to eat, usually cos Im hungry and want to eat it...like last night I cooked up a chicken breast with a garlic and cheese sauce in the middle wrapped in bacon...tasted soo good, probably not so healthy though... :P

I did take a pic of a lemon meribue pie I made once...I'll try find that...

We will have to look our savings. Maybe one of these days you may see us up there for dinner! :chef::drool:

Meh to the steak then. Poutine is cheaper, prettier and better for our heart! :bounce:

Looks nice, albeit a little rare for my tastes.

I never think to take a picture of what Im about to eat, usually cos Im hungry and want to eat it...like last night I cooked up a chicken breast with a garlic and cheese sauce in the middle wrapped in bacon...tasted soo good, probably not so healthy though... :P

I did take a pic of a lemon meribue pie I made once...I'll try find that...

I didn't know you were a cookery expert on top of the Combat Icon creationing ^^ How do you go about wrapping it in bacon, and do you then fry or bake that?

Hmmm...never tried anything like that before, and I can see that working out well for extra "punch"

I'm sure it's good for you too

:devil:

gogo

p.s. yeah it is kinda rare huh. lol ooh, now I'm hungry again and not even breakfast time again. I swear I'm part vampire :P

Wrapping wasn;t too hard, as long as the bacon strips were long enough, and then the bacon juices soaked into the chicken while cooking it making it extra juicy and flavorsome :)

And lol...I meant lemon meringue pie when I wrote meribue...stupid keyboard...

here it is :)

5450_107999533010_828273010_2031111_643032_n.jpg

Not a bad looking pie mate! From recipe or did you just whip that up? What made you want to try making a desert. I had read that baking and deserts is tough work, you have to be absolutely precise with the ingredients.

:)

gogo

It's from a recipe. What inspired me to make it? It tastes nice is why. There are sone diddly bits, I guess it depends what you are cooking how critical certain parts of it are though.

Instead chicken and bacon:

Schweinsnetz - caul fat

Caul Fat is so important for our local barbaric cooking, that it was one of the first words I wanted to know in my lost in translation thread.

caul+fat.jpg

spicy filled chicken breast in caul fat (commercial pictures, but I hope you can see them when they have the watersign)

Gefüllte Poulardenbrust im Schweinenetz zubereiten-380740.jpg

quail in caul fat - we have quails in the barn and this is really the best way to do them

tumblr_l7yxw1d8nc1qzymbi.jpg

meatballs in caul fat

b4028536d4.png

Caul Fat can be bought frozen nowadays. You are no longer limited to buy it at a slaughterhouse/butcher. Do some experiments and you start to like it: easy way to bake/fry low fat meat: quails/chicken, pike/fish, ...

Or to keep things together while it is baking. The whole fat net melts when baking and often people who are not used to it are puzzled how the food was prepared.

I like experimenting at kitchen. It is the same spirit which makes me trying to optimize a Sacred2 character, optimizing explosive welding at work, doing crazy stuff like a oven in a staircase, ...

Caul Fat = Fat Netting.

The folks on Food Network brought us a show called Iron Chef - the original Japanese version. Fat Netting was a standard ingredient in many of the preparations made on that show by the Chinese chef. He used it for more than just chicken - fish and other meats that had a tendency to become dry were also fair game. It's a pork product. I believe the fat netting surrounds the liver of the porker.

If you open a pig and take the inner organs out - it is like a net holding them all together. Even the oldest recipes in my area mention it.

In woodland you have more pigs than caddle. Pigs can feed on acorns, insects between leaves, ... and used to be a wooly half wild race. Cows were to valuable to be slaughtered if not really old. We had and still have a small local race of cows which is used for milk, can pull a carriage or plow, ... Cows have the advantage that there feet are not ruining a thin earth soil as horses do.

Because of mainly slaughtering old cows most of our beef recipes are marinating it to make it softer.

test_03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Instead chicken and bacon:

Schweinsnetz - caul fat

Caul Fat is so important for our local barbaric cooking, that it was one of the first words I wanted to know in my lost in translation thread.

caul+fat.jpg

spicy filled chicken breast in caul fat (commercial pictures, but I hope you can see them when they have the watersign)

Gefüllte Poulardenbrust im Schweinenetz zubereiten-380740.jpg

quail in caul fat - we have quails in the barn and this is really the best way to do them

tumblr_l7yxw1d8nc1qzymbi.jpg

meatballs in caul fat

b4028536d4.png

Caul Fat can be bought frozen nowadays. You are no longer limited to buy it at a slaughterhouse/butcher. Do some experiments and you start to like it: easy way to bake/fry low fat meat: quails/chicken, pike/fish, ...

Or to keep things together while it is baking. The whole fat net melts when baking and often people who are not used to it are puzzled how the food was prepared.

I like experimenting at kitchen. It is the same spirit which makes me trying to optimize a Sacred2 character, optimizing explosive welding at work, doing crazy stuff like a oven in a staircase, ...

Here is a link to a photo from the kitchen of Alinea, with head chef Grant Achatz, one of the best chefs in the world, and a forerunner of molecular gastronomy in America.

Amazing how certain "old methods" are being used in very high tech kitchens, next to liquid nitrogen and the likes!

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

Here is a link to a photo from the kitchen of Alinea, with head chef Grant Achatz, one of the best chefs in the world, and a forerunner of molecular gastronomy in America.

Amazing how certain "old methods" are being used in very high tech kitchens, next to liquid nitrogen and the likes!

Delta!

I love the way that this new technology adds to the bounty of cooking knowledge amassed over the years. What's interesting is that as ours, the eating public's, tastes change, so does the knowledge of what's relevant and exciting.

Molecular Gastronmy...who woulda thunk it

I think I'd stick to the steak, myself. :chef:

And pour me a porto!

:drunkards:

gogo

I think I'd stick to the steak, myself. :chef:

And pour me a porto!

:drunkards:

gogo

You'll have to make do with a nice pint o' scrumpy, but I'll take out the rat first ! :pitcher:

Edited by cider_steve