Food killing people in germany

German newspaper have big headlines not to eat fresh vegetables or raw meat. Northern germany has people panicing already because of hundreds of EHEC infections popping up. First people died already. Seems a market chain was/is selling polluted food. But the origin is not detected yet. Even an out of country origin can't be excluded yet, northern germany having towns with oversea harbours which south germany haven't. Some report a mutated strain which is deadlier as usual.

So having an own garden and food supplies is something nice nowadays. I think staying to the standard procedures we do at preparing food should be save enough.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/scitech/article1083758.ece/Super-bug-kills-first-German

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs125/en/

Frightening news! Do you think this is hopefully localized? Or is this something that could move throughout Europe? Scary thing is, I almost always eat beef almost raw

:blink:

gogo

Sheesh, hopefully it won't become widespread... Good thing for me that I'm favoring white meats. And you'd always want to cook 'em thoroughly.

Shoulda have own vegetable suply alright...

It is not people to people if you are careful: carefully hand washing, cleaning of kitchen tools and such. Most probable scenario is that a salade field was fertilized with liquid menure. But the origine is not yet discovered. In our state the ill people are mainly from a single company who got salade delivery from a company in northern germany.

There are normally 1200 cases of EHEC whole year in germany, mainly to kids who touch everything around. But this outbreak affects mainly older women. So most probably they got it while preparing food for the family. And the symptoms are heavier as normal. So doc's say it can be a new strain.

The hospital my wife does partial working did the usual savety rules and at firefighters we placed just double the amount of mouth protections and plastic gloves in the trucks. But I see no sense in changing my eating at home. This time of the year we use mainly our own vegetables from the garden, not ones from supermarket.

For steaks: the bugs are normally not inside. They are at the cuts. So if the surface is not raw after grilling it should be fine. Use clean knifes and cutting boards (I still prefer wood over plastic).

I am not this much into steaks, I prefer Mett. Which is raw pork with just spices. But I see no reason to stop eating it. Butcher gets if from the same farm for decades.

I know how that feels, Chattius.

We had one incident in Norway some years ago where people got really sick from eating one special kind of sausage.

They had found Escherichia coli bacterias which also exist in human feces.

How nasty is that?

I'm just glad I didn't eat that sausage at all.

I also had a friend who worked at one of those factories, and I asked him if he was the one that had pooped in the sausage-tank.

He kindly answered yes. I hope he was joking.

1200 infections, 10 dead, number growing...

The fear is mainly because of the unknown. Even every vegetable with the EHEC on it seems to be a cucumber from southern spain, noone knows where the EHEC got on the plants: at harvest, at transport, at re-packing, ...

When doing the weekly shopping at supermarket the vegetables baskets were full, even price tags reading only 10cent for a cucumber former 69cent, or 40 cent a salade instead 80, ... very few people are buying vegetables.

We were buying no vegs too, mainly taking young plants from the garden till the origin is found. We are currently using vegs which weren't really planed for eating, but mainly to show old traditional vegs to kids at the 1225 year celebration of the first mentioning of our village in a remaining document.

I would avoid this too if I was in germany. Eating from your garden is probably safe because how could the vegetables in the store cross to your garden? But you won't miss anything from not eating vegetables for 6 months in the long run.

Yikes. Scary news indeed. I imagine many people there are very frightened about what food to eat. No doubt that restaurants will suffer quite a lot. Hang in there Germany!