Sacred 2's Humor

What are your opinions on the humor in this game, and would you like to see it make a return in Sacred 3?

Sacred 2 seems to have a very strange but interesting brand of humor unlike anything I've ever seen. It's a mixture between a parody of fantasy elements, slapstick, dark humor, and a little tinge of juvenile antics. It's one thing that I actually happen to like about the game, because it provides some very funny moments (like when you smash a Kobold with a Shaddow Warrior's hammer and he just says 'You pathetic little creatures...') but it also just makes the game world feel alive. Sure, there are some kind of bizarre moments (like the rock concert quest...) but by and large I like the humor in the game. It never takes itself seriously. It just puts you in this traditional fantasy world, lets you tear it up, and provides you with a ton of little subtle, tongue-in-cheek laughs along the way.

Moreover, though, do you want to see it return in Sacred 3? It's a strange thing, really, because its like somewhere along the lines of making Sacred 2, they tried to put you in a believable and serious story world, then they just decided that they were going to put all these funny parody elements in there. Not that its a bad thing, but I just wonder if they're going to do the same thing for Sacred 3.

heh, the game's humor is unique to say the least. While a lot of other games out there struck to the road with an attempt at epic, Ascaron stuck to some pretty low-brow humor, and an huge, massive prediliction and love for Easter Eggs. The first game had a good number of them, this second one is rife with them. It's funny you brought this up right now, I was just looking at the Easter Eggs section of the Wiki which encompasses the massive amount of reference material contained within the Graves (did you know that some of this game's players and forum posters can be found on them...famous last words ;)) and was noticing that there are still some that I've just noted in a few other sites that still need adding.

Gravestones, Easter Eggs, Quests...I remember asking Schot a few weeks back... how does a development team go about including EAster Eggs into a game like this? Are all the devs given open freedom? Is there a certain number of jokes or eggs per amount of coding that they have to include in their work to keep their status as Dev/

:lol:

gogo

heh, the game's humor is unique to say the least. While a lot of other games out there struck to the road with an attempt at epic, Ascaron stuck to some pretty low-brow humor, and an huge, massive prediliction and love for Easter Eggs. The first game had a good number of them, this second one is rife with them. It's funny you brought this up right now, I was just looking at the Easter Eggs section of the Wiki which encompasses the massive amount of reference material contained within the Graves (did you know that some of this game's players and forum posters can be found on them...famous last words ;)) and was noticing that there are still some that I've just noted in a few other sites that still need adding.

Gravestones, Easter Eggs, Quests...I remember asking Schot a few weeks back... how does a development team go about including EAster Eggs into a game like this? Are all the devs given open freedom? Is there a certain number of jokes or eggs per amount of coding that they have to include in their work to keep their status as Dev/

:lol:

gogo

Lol I was thinking that too, actually. I kept wondering, "So, do they all just sit around with a beer in hand and make up these jokes and then put them onto tombstones and stuff for fun once the game is almost done?". Minus the beer, it was probably a lot like that, lol.

I just hope that a similar form of humor is retained in Sacred 3. Its honestly one of the charms of the game, and as you said, instead of trying to do some BS epic storyline, it just wanted to make the game more fun and self-satirical. Since Deep Silver bought out Ascaron, methinks they may not have a similar form of humor, but let's hope they keep the tradition going.

Lol I was thinking that too, actually. I kept wondering, "So, do they all just sit around with a beer in hand and make up these jokes and then put them onto tombstones and stuff for fun once the game is almost done?". Minus the beer, it was probably a lot like that, lol.

I just hope that a similar form of humor is retained in Sacred 3. Its honestly one of the charms of the game, and as you said, instead of trying to do some BS epic storyline, it just wanted to make the game more fun and self-satirical. Since Deep Silver bought out Ascaron, methinks they may not have a similar form of humor, but let's hope they keep the tradition going.

Hrm... methinks there was probably plenty of beer :pitcher:

But I do hope the humour content is still continued with the next installment!

Hrm... methinks there was probably plenty of beer :pitcher:

Strong German beer

But I do hope the humour content is still continued with the next installment!

I'm hoping so too. If anything,working with and capitalizing upon the humorous references are cheaper than going the way of epic with the hugely expensive trailers and cut scenes.

:)

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't be Sacred without the Sacred sense of humor.

Sacred 1 had it too. I still remember lots of lines.

From the battlemage: "Time to go see Shareefa. This 'horn' will impress her!" "Oh, you're already dead." "I don't need my magic against the likes of you - but, it's more fun!"

From the seraphim: "<exasperated, fed-up shout> Why do you want to die? <quieter, with a sigh> All right then, line up."

If you equipped the wood elf with a staff or spear, and then took your hands off the controls and left her standing still for a few seconds, she actually would start to do a lengthy, elaborate, and very suggestive pole dance with her weapon while she waited for you!

Good times.

I hope so! I have seen other series try to maintain their personality and fail. Sometimes the planets just align perfectly in a game but the sequel just falls apart. I hope S3 does not suffer that fate.

Edited by lujate

I love the humor in Sacred 2, I never played Sacred 1, but some of the stuff cracks me up, an I laugh all the time, so I hope that Sacred 3 will also have great jokes.

Delta!

I would hope that they keep the feel there, it may be hard seeing as it will be a new development team, but its the things like the eastereggs and all those other little details that keep you marveling at this game a long time down the track.

You don't Need a Lot of Beer. One bottle of schorchbraeu is enough. Post 2600 in the Key Largo bar Thread: 43% Alkohol

Ps Never try to Type english on a German I.Päd. Autocorection dös terrible stuff.

You don't Need a Lot of Beer. One bottle of schorchbraeu is enough. Post 2600 in the Key Largo bar Thread: 43% Alkohol

Ps Never try to Type english on a German I.Päd. Autocorection dös terrible stuff.

43% ABV! :eek:

Can that still be considered beer? How do they get it that high, is it fortified or distilled?

I wonder if the new dev team will have that same feel as Ascaron's humour though :/ I bet everyone in Ascaron were all pretty good friends and just had fun with the game. You know, until they went bankrupt. But do you think Keen games will be able to pull that off, or just fail trying to shoehorn a bunch of lame jokes and stuff in?

You don't Need a Lot of Beer. One bottle of schorchbraeu is enough.

Dark secret of Sacred's humor :tease:

I wonder if the new dev team will have that same feel as Ascaron's humour though :/ I bet everyone in Ascaron were all pretty good friends and just had fun with the game. You know, until they went bankrupt. But do you think Keen games will be able to pull that off, or just fail trying to shoehorn a bunch of lame jokes and stuff in?

I didn't even think about that, but you're right. A lot of humor arises from the group of people you peeps you work or hang with. If it's gong to be a new team, it's unlikely the chemistry will be the same, but who knows..maybe this time around, if they're devoted fans, and a few from the old team get on with them, they could be even funnier!

gogo

You don't Need a Lot of Beer. One bottle of schorchbraeu is enough.

Dark secret of Sacred's humor :tease:

I didn't even think about that, but you're right. A lot of humor arises from the group of people you peeps you work or hang with. If it's gong to be a new team, it's unlikely the chemistry will be the same, but who knows..maybe this time around, if they're devoted fans, and a few from the old team get on with them, they could be even funnier!

gogo

Sometimes some fresh blood/ideas/brains/can make a nice change, or screw everything up completely. I hope it makes the humor better, and funnier.

Delta!

Sacred 3 will never be as good as Sacred 2. Typically what happens is when a game gets a following like Sacred 2 has, the sequel never quite lives up to its' predecessor. I'll be very impressed if they manage to even come up to par with Sacred 2.

Although for one, I would much prefer improved gameplay over retaining the humour. Sacred 2 has some features which make it frustrating to play, specifically, mounting and unmounting, and the hit detection for melee Combat Arts.

The humor is quite unique. I play a lot of different RPG style games on the ps3 and this is the only one which has made my wife laugh just from listening to the game in the background. I think her favorite was when my seraphim said "you were made for two things: to fight and die. Now die." Lol.

Speaking of Sacred 3, I know there has been talks about it, but have they actually started making the game?

The humor is quite unique. I play a lot of different RPG style games on the ps3 and this is the only one which has made my wife laugh just from listening to the game in the background. I think her favorite was when my seraphim said "you were made for two things: to fight and die. Now die." Lol.

Speaking of Sacred 3, I know there has been talks about it, but have they actually started making the game?

Last I read, it's scheduled to be released in 2012.