My first ever! I was brushing my teeth last night, late just before bed, and a huge grinding, rhythmic, going on and on for seconds, stops... earthquake, my first ever! (baby though, 4.4?)

You never realize how small we are till stuff like this happens, what a strange and terrifying noise.

:Just_Cuz_21:

gogo

At times like these, it makes me than grateful to live around here in Finland. Yeah, there might be small ones here and there, but not where I live atm.

Bet that was a one experience you wouldn't want to frequent, eh? :P

I didn't believe it until I saw it on tv, because I didn't notice it at all. I guess I was pretty tired because my girlfriend did notice it.

That's not the first time something like this happens. I remember a few smaller earthquakes, along with some mini-tornadoes.

Max

Bet that was a one experience you wouldn't want to frequent, eh? :P

Never! Felt like I was caught up in something alive...it kept going on, thought it could only be a truck, and there were people that ran out side from my building all yeling Holy Hannah! WFT! :lol:

I didn't believe it until I saw it on tv, because I didn't notice it at all. I guess I was pretty tired because my girlfriend did notice it.

That's not the first time something like this happens. I remember a few smaller earthquakes, along with some mini-tornadoes.

Max

Max, I remember when the mini-tornadoes where here, roofs lifted off, I think my family's house got caught in one years back... You must have been in area where quakes were smaller, or really really tired, for us, in almost center downtown, the noise was immense.

:)

gogo

I saw a cracked part of a street. So it must have been pretty intense in some areas. Right now I'm 65km away from the center of the earthquake, and I currently live 15 miles north of Montreal.

Max

Outch. Biggest was a 3.7 for me. Actually work is more earth trembeling :)

My biggest 'earthquake' was as a kid when NATO did an autumn maneuvre close the place I grew up. At 6 pm the whole house was vibrating and vases fell down. 4 american tanks missed the road to the maneuvre place and rolled along the village street without a place to turn. It got narrower and narrower till the leading tank stuck and tried to break free without too many houses destroyed in the process. My dad said ne never saw so much lawyers at 6am at a place with a smile in their face thinking of their share of damage payment at court.

Other earthquakes: Living next to an military exercise place: supersonic low level flights each thursday morning at 8am. Even when being 16, summer breaks and tired from the night with friends before... hated them.

My biggest 'earthquake' was as a kid when NATO did an autumn maneuvre close the place I grew up. At 6 pm the whole house was vibrating and vases fell down. 4 american tanks missed the road to the maneuvre place and rolled along the village street without a place to turn. It got narrower and narrower till the leading tank stuck and tried to break free without too many houses destroyed in the process. My dad said ne never saw so much lawyers at 6am at a place with a smile in their face thinking of their share of damage payment at court.

Back on Reforger 4 (I think) in late 1973 a whole company of tanks rolled down the road and into a German village. The tank retriever had the hardest time, that was before we got the M1s - we might have had the M60A3s at the time. Much smaller than the M1A1, those dudes would never have made it out of there without a thousand lawyers.

Ohhh scary stuff. Glad you are all OK.

Unfortunately... I live in Cali, right near the San Andres Fault :( so I experience mini-quakes all the time. They are still scary tho, since you kinda hold your breath to see if there is a bigger one to follow. When the Northridge Earthquake hit I lived 5 miles from it. It was mega scary and it kept going and going and going. The noise was deafening, we lost all the plumbing on our house, electricity was out for days and the automatic gas shutoff kicked in... so we were kinda a mess I would say. TBH, I plan on leaving Cali as soon as I no longer have obligations here.

The tanks damaged garden surroundings and walls on first floor made in rubble (Bruchstein) style. This style is normally very robust, lasting centuries. base of our house is this way too, with wooden patchwork upper floors.

Bruchstein working looks like this:

Gutenbergstrasse12.JPG

008.JPG

The repair team the army send was not used to this style and 2 old retired people from village helped them to redo it. I think they spoend like 3 months.

Some I think that old style house were more robust: stones and wood not in streight lines but all bended and patchwork. A shifting force could not easily move a whole layer of stones.

My first ever! I was brushing my teeth last night, late just before bed, and a huge grinding, rhythmic, going on and on for seconds, stops... earthquake, my first ever! (baby though, 4.4?)

You never realize how small we are till stuff like this happens, what a strange and terrifying noise.

:Just_Cuz_21:

gogo

Good grief... A 4.4..? We hardly notice those here in L.A... That kind of thing doesn't phase people here. You wanna talk earthquakes - bring on the 6.6 from 1971... Now THAT will grab your attention. Tho, quite honestly, if it wasn't for my grandmother screaming her head off, I would have slept through it. She was screaming something or other about the end of the world, while I was half asleep and recall making a comment about it "just being an earthquake - go back to sleep."

Ohhh scary stuff. Glad you are all OK.

Unfortunately... I live in Cali, right near the San Andres Fault :( so I experience mini-quakes all the time. They are still scary tho, since you kinda hold your breath to see if there is a bigger one to follow. When the Northridge Earthquake hit I lived 5 miles from it. It was mega scary and it kept going and going and going. The noise was deafening, we lost all the plumbing on our house, electricity was out for days and the automatic gas shutoff kicked in... so we were kinda a mess I would say. TBH, I plan on leaving Cali as soon as I no longer have obligations here.

Oh wow - You live in the Greater L.A. area? Howdy Neighbor!

Yeah.. The Northridge quake was another biggie. That one was kind of fun to ride out... I recall bouncing on my bed like a basketball being dribbled by Kobe Bryant. Keep in mind, I'm a fairly big guy - 250 lbs - so you can guess the power needed to get me airborne! :BlobRed:

Edited by wolfie2kX

Like Wygram, I live near the New Madrid fault, although it is quiet these days.

I did not know Montreal had earthquakes, of course I said the same thing when I experienced the DC quake last year.

Don't feel bad for not realizing what it was Gogo... I thought my first quake of measurable size was just another big, heavily loaded truck going down the road in the industrial area where I worked. Wasn't until we heard on the radio that we realized it had been a quake.