Virtual Tour of the TARDIS...!

wolfie2kX

I saw a thing posted on Facebook. Seems if you go to Earl's Court Road and you click on some double arrows, you can get a virtual tour - ala Google Maps - of the Tardis...

It struck me as a challenge... So I fired up google maps.. and started searching - as the instructions don't exactly give you an exact address. I started at the south end of Earl's Court Road and made my way north... I finally found it. It sits on the street, just south of the front of Earl's Court's Underground (Tube) station.

The entrance if you go by way of the directions isn't immediately available either. The default has some black guy standing in front of it - and the double arrows do not exist.

post-14586-0-81527700-1376896751_thumb.jpg

BUT... If you click on any of the small squares on top - you will be treated to other pictures of that area. Click any one of them and then close them out. You may need to lather, rinse repeat this several times but you will eventually see the picture change to this:

post-14586-0-75690500-1376896360_thumb.jpg

Note the double arrows branching off from the other navigation arrows. Click the double arrows to go inside.

If you just can't get the 2nd picture to appear, click THIS instead.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

Who is Doctor Who?

Just looked, it is pay-tv here, so never seen.

My favourite SciFy-series is still Raumpatrouille (Space Patrol).

What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow.

I saw a thing posted on Facebook. Seems if you go to Earl's Court Road and you click on some double arrows, you can get a virtual tour - ala Google Maps - of the Tardis...

It struck me as a challenge... So I fired up google maps.. and started searching - as the instructions don't exactly give you an exact address. I started at the south end of Earl's Court Road and made my way north... I finally found it. It sits on the street, just south of the front of Earl's Court's Underground (Tube) station.

The entrance if you go by way of the directions isn't immediately available either. The default has some black guy standing in front of it - and the double arrows do not exist.

attachicon.gifTARDIS 1.jpg

BUT... If you click on any of the small squares on top - you will be treated to other pictures of that area. Click any one of them and then close them out. You may need to lather, rinse repeat this several times but you will eventually see the picture change to this:

attachicon.gifTARDIS 2.jpg

Note the double arrows branching off from the other navigation arrows. Click the double arrows to go inside.

If you just can't get the 2nd picture to appear, click THIS instead.

This is great idea! I've only watched a few episodes of Dr. Who, but the Tardis was simpley the coolest thing ever come up with... good going Gooogle

:)

gogo

Good Grief!

Doctor Who is a legendary sci fi program that runs on the BBC in the UK. It's been going for almost 50 years. It started November 22nd, 1963 - the day after John Kennedy got killed.

Who is Doctor Who?

First off, he's just known as The Doctor. The Doctor is an alien being who landed on earth back in the day and lived in a junk yard. His vehicle is a TARDIS which stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. Originally, the TARDIS had the ability to camouflage itself into whatever the local décor may demand. But when he landed back in the day, the chameleon circuit got jammed into the form of the police box.

OK... WTH is a Police Box?

Back in the day, before cell phones, car radios and the like (yes, I know, the dark ages :) ) London police got ahold of beat cops by telephone. Inside each police box is a telephone that is sort of like the 911 or 999 of it's day. If a cop was needed in a given area, the central police switchboard would ring up a given police box and the cop nearest would answer and respond. Or if a citizen was in danger, he/she could go to said box and open the small door in front and call the police for assistance.

Of course, as technology got better, these were phased out and eventually wound up on the scrap heap of the past.

Wait.. You said this show has been going for 50 YEARS? The lead actor must be ancient!

Not quite. The Doctor, being an alien from another world called Gallifrey has the ability to regenerate! This was a convenient tool that the writers came up with to keep the show going when the original Doctor, William Hartnel retired...

Regeneration? Huh? Whatchotalkin' bout Willis?

Regeneration is quite unique in all of sci fi... It's sort of like a lizard that can regrow a limb or tail when it's been lopped off by a predator. Except the entire Time Lord (Gallifreyan) lets loose a lot of energy that rebuilds the entire being into someone new. Time Lords get 12 regenerations in their lifetimes. Thus far there have been 12 actors who have played the Doctor.

William Hartnell 1963 - 66

Patrick Troughton 1966 - 69

Jon Pertwee 1970 - 74

Tom Baker 1974 - 81

Peter Davison 1981 - 84

Colin Baker (no relation to Tom) 1984 - 86

Sylvester McCoy 1987 - 89

Paul McGann - the 8th incarnation was only shown as a 2 hour TV movie in 1996

After a hiatus, production resumed in 2005 with:

Christopher Eccleston 2005

David Tennant 2005 - 2010

Matt Smith 2010 - 2013

Matt Smith will have his final episode as The Doctor in November - for the 50th anniversary special. And starting next season, Peter Capaldi takes the reigns as the 12th (and final?) Doctor...

OK.. I give, Why is he known as "The Doctor"? And what's a Time Lord?

Gallifreyans - aka Time Lords - tend to be rather finicky about telling people their real names. They're quite... fanatic about keeping their real names top secret and only tell those who they are actually intimate with. When they come of age, they concoct an alias which they use when conducting business offworld.

There have been a few occasions where the Doctor has taken on an earthly name - John Smith - when there was a need for such a thing. The Master, an evil Time Lord who has been a thorn in the Doctor's backside for eons has gone by many names - when trying to blend in.

Time Lords (aka Gallifreyans) are a race of humanoids who lived on Gallifrey. They were an ancient race who arose quite a long time before most other races evolved elsewhere. They discovered the means to travel throughout time and space and swore they would not interfere with the affairs of other races. They have 2 hearts and other internal differences.

So why is this Doctor (and this Master guy) running around the universe if they're not into meddling with others?

Long story... But to make it short - When a young Gallifreyan comes of age, he is directed to look into the Untempered Schism. Some become inspired to do good. Some become quite insane. The Untempered Schism is a portal where you can see all of time and space - a time vortex, if you will.

OK.. What's a Dalek?

A Dalek is a being from the planet Skaro. Due to pollution from decades of war, many mutagenic substances were released. A brilliant, if twisted scientist on Skaro named Davros did experiments on the people of Skaro to find out what the end result of these substances were and found the resulting life forms would be shapeless blobs of goo.. He then took control over the evolution of his people and turned them into something that looks sort of like an octopus that rides around inside of an armored tin can with a sucker arm and a blaster. He removed their emotions except for hate. Daleks hate all life forms except their own. The end result - a race of insane beings who roam the universe trying to conquer it all. All other life must be destroyed, which is why they go around saying their catch-phrase: EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

The Daleks invaded Gallifrey during the hiatus between 1996 and 2005 when Doctor Who returned to the airwaves. The resulting Time War resulted in numerous casualties, and many billions of people of all kinds who were killed. At the end, the Time Lords led by Rassilon (their first leader plucked from his past) were about to destroy all of time and space in an effort to finish this. The Doctor stepped in and locked the Daleks and Time Lords in a time lock - a sort of pocket universe where they can fight till they drop without having an effect on everyone else in the real universe.

It was revealed that the Master's insanity was due in part to the Time Lords' last ditch effort to liberate themselves from this prison and carry out their final solution.

Edited by wolfie2kX

One more thing about Daleks.. Since they like to EXTERMINATE! - this of course leads to insane little memes on the Internet like this one..

post-14586-0-60866500-1376929515_thumb.jpg

Now I wish someone would just STHU and TAKE MY MONEY!

• Like! 1