Is Splenda a rip off?

I have never used splenda. I haven't used sweeteners in my diet for almost 8years. When I was still very young, my mom would buy anyone that she wanted(ussually the cheapest cause I was the only one using it) but I did some research and found out that aspartame which was used in most sweeteners back then, are actually bad for you, that was when I changed to Natreen. All natural ingredients, and nothing that I couldn't pronounce, but it cost a bit more, so I started weening myself of sweeteners. And I couldn't be happier.

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

I used Splenda for about a year while I was actively trying to lose weight. That entire year was absolutely no sugar or flour in my diet. (I must say those things have slowly slipped back in over the years though).

I didn't buy it or use it at home, but it seems like I was often eating out, and iced tea is a very common beverage in the south. So I usually ordered it unsweet and then put Splenda in it. This was also during the "low carb" craze so there were flavored waters you could buy everywhere at the time that were sweetened with Splenda.

I never noticed any problems from it. But again, I didn't use it that often or buy it for home use. Those little packets are free at restaurants. I guess I also had a penchant for Diet Coke during that time, which is sweetened with aspartame, which is supposed to cause headaches and seizures and alien abductions and who knows what else, if you read stuff on the web. But I never noticed any problems from that either.

If there was a negative effect from them, it was utterly dwarfed by the massive improvement of my health and mood from ceasing my sugar intake.

• Like! 1

All of the low/no calorie sweeteners run the risk of triggering cravings for food with calories in them. It's why they don't work as aids for dieting.

There is lots of mis-information out about Apartame, and it does have some real issues.

I haven't see any urban myths about Splenda -- it's supposedly 600 times sweeter than sugar. It's way too sweet for me and I think it tastes horrible.

Well.. If you think Splenda's expensive.. There's another one called Truvia out there and it makes Splenda look cheap.

The thing about these things is - these companies know they got a gold mine going with this kinda stuff. They know people are trying to diet and as such, they have the market cornered.

• Like! 1

Truvia is derived from Stevia, which comes from a plant. Stevia is "natural". I don't think Truvia is and I have never seen a version of Truvia that is not mixed with something else frequently Splenda..

All of the low/no calorie sweeteners run the risk of triggering cravings for food with calories in them. It's why they don't work as aids for dieting.

I've got to disagree at least from my own experience, I lost about 100 pounds, almost all of it fat. I didn't struggle or suffer cravings. But I wasn't limiting calories anyway, only sugar and flour.

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

If you had been limiting calories, you might or might not have noticed a difference. It's pretty well documented in medical literature, to the point that I've had several doctors actually talk about it with me.

Since I do struggle with food addiction, I do need to be pretty careful. Splenda, Aspartame and the others are not a bit part of my eating plans.

I do think it's a rip off. That is my opinion though.

It is listed as 'caution' in my firefighter papers? Even the dosis needed to show harmful effect to mice and rats is never reached in normal eating, people are no rats and it are bacteria who do the digesting. So 'caution' is normally when not enough research is done. And firefighter papers are for unusual using too: like a barrel of it damaged at an accident and breathing the powder.

It is listened as: try to collect as much as possible at an accident scene. It won't rot and water plants can't filter it out. So countryside people which use small lakes for water clearing may have the problem that the concentration of the stuff will never drop but climb and climb if everyone is using it.

That is the dilemma of the modern food industry: long time researches need decades and a patent might have timed out when the researches are over. I see these cautions more and more recently. So the reading is: using the dosis which the company allows might be harmless. But the company didn't research other effects and listed it as potential risc to avoid law suits by suffering firefighters and water plant embloyees ?

• Like! 1

When you consider that chlorine is one of the starting ingredients, I think this should not even be allowed on the market.

Isn't that only a mild carcinogen though?

:P

gogo

I have never used splenda. I haven't used sweeteners in my diet for almost 8years. When I was still very young, my mom would buy anyone that she wanted(ussually the cheapest cause I was the only one using it) but I did some research and found out that aspartame which was used in most sweeteners back then, are actually bad for you, that was when I changed to Natreen. All natural ingredients, and nothing that I couldn't pronounce, but it cost a bit more, so I started weening myself of sweeteners. And I couldn't be happier.

Delta!

Theuns, about 3 years ago, we noticed that I was having some problems with sugar in my diet, and so had to really institute a switch to help keep them low, and I went on the classic use of metformin. Three years later, my sugar's in line, and I've lost some weight, feel good, and really have a handle on food types, annoyingly so perhaps :4rofl:

I had seen "sweeteners" offered, but never really got into aspartame, in fact can't stand the taste of it at all, a very hollow, insipid taste to me, and the splenda, well, never got to try it much, at least till these last few days because of

sigh

mcdonalds

:lol:

gogo

I used Splenda for about a year while I was actively trying to lose weight. That entire year was absolutely no sugar or flour in my diet. (I must say those things have slowly slipped back in over the years though).

I didn't buy it or use it at home, but it seems like I was often eating out, and iced tea is a very common beverage in the south. So I usually ordered it unsweet and then put Splenda in it. This was also during the "low carb" craze so there were flavored waters you could buy everywhere at the time that were sweetened with Splenda.

I never noticed any problems from it. But again, I didn't use it that often or buy it for home use. Those little packets are free at restaurants. I guess I also had a penchant for Diet Coke during that time, which is sweetened with aspartame, which is supposed to cause headaches and seizures and alien abductions and who knows what else, if you read stuff on the web. But I never noticed any problems from that either.

If there was a negative effect from them, it was utterly dwarfed by the massive improvement of my health and mood from ceasing my sugar intake.

That's great for you Flix! I had strugged with weight years back, always going this way then that way, always having this love for snacks, and finally getting int ao a "set" weight after a long time struggling with my apetite. Reason I brought this up about Splenda is that after visiting my cousin and seeing that he's really into using it, the price of it really took me aback.

And then...Mcd's comes along.. dom dom dom ...

Free coffee for a week!

free Splenda for a week!

I had decided a few years back that in controlling my sugar I would go after the big limb of my sugar addiction (I was going through about a pound of sugar every two weeks, five teaspoons of cofee with cigarettes (yes we used to smoke too! :lol:), and pretty much unlimted amounts of coffee...

dropping the whole sweet hunger for me helped me, but it was really hard. I now, honestly wished the Splenda had been there... for after two days of collecting splenda for my cousin becuase of the coffee deal, I decided to try it...and on cereal, it tasted pretty dang good! in fact, lol...I feel like now adding it every day to my cereal!

That's a victory you posted about regarding your weight loss. Things in our life like this, we "own" really help set us up for future days.

Congratulations on the Win!

:)

gogo

It is listed as 'caution' in my firefighter papers? Even the dosis needed to show harmful effect to mice and rats is never reached in normal eating, people are no rats and it are bacteria who do the digesting. So 'caution' is normally when not enough research is done. And firefighter papers are for unusual using too: like a barrel of it damaged at an accident and breathing the powder.

It is listened as: try to collect as much as possible at an accident scene. It won't rot and water plants can't filter it out. So countryside people which use small lakes for water clearing may have the problem that the concentration of the stuff will never drop but climb and climb if everyone is using it.

That is the dilemma of the modern food industry: long time researches need decades and a patent might have timed out when the researches are over. I see these cautions more and more recently. So the reading is: using the dosis which the company allows might be harmless. But the company didn't research other effects and listed it as potential risc to avoid law suits by suffering firefighters and water plant embloyees ?

This in fact is the only thing that worries me about getting into a "sweet at no cost" line of philosophy... we all kind of know that nothing is without something...splendia seems a little too magical for me? Perfect sin without no pain...yet?

I remember the thalidomide babies

:(

gogo

oooh, it'll kill the hangover from last night then!

:hugs: @ Ysne

:lol:

gogo

p.s. Cath, there's poison everywhere right?

sugar

fat

overeating

overeating

smoking

drinking one glass of alchol

fruits which start diabetes too much sugar

using your inhaler which causes diabetes

the list is a long one way as it is another

As Chattius has wisely pointed out...this is the dilemma of human existence

choice

p.s.s.

Here is a cool link to some interesting info on Chlorine on it's use in the medical industry for creating medicine:

Medicines rely on chlorine

Here is a list of common medicines, which rely on chlorine chemistry:

Chlorsiazepozide, tranquilizer chlorpromazine (pacifies or calms)

Clometacin analgesic (pain-killer)

Chlorcycclizine antihistamine (relief cold and allergy symptoms)

Clobutinal antitussive (suppresses coughing)

Clobenflural coronaty vasodilator (enlarges blood vessels of the heart)

Clonazepam anticomvulsant (prevents convulsions of the heart)

Clotdione anticoagulant (precents convulsions)

Mitotane antineoplastic (inhibits growth and formation of tumours)

Some 85%of pharmaceuticals contain or are manufactures) using chlorine, including products to treat Acids, allergies, arthritis, cancer, depression, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, infections, pneumonia and ulcers. An example is the natual antibiotic vancomycin, which is the only effective in fighting hospital Staphylococcus infections, or methylene chlotide, extendicely used as a process solvent for coating tablets. Chlotine-containing compounds are alse important intermediater in the manufacture of Vitamin C.

Through its use in PVC, chlorine alse contribytes to safety in tamper-resistant pharmaceutical and in “blister” packages, which help extend shelf life and make it easier for the patients to take the correct dose.

One-quarter of medical devices contain chlotine. For example, chlotine-based plastics are used to make intravernous drips and blood bags, sterile tubing and pachaging, prosthetics and heart catheters. Silcer chloride is used for mammograogy and x-ray films. Chlorine is also used to make the semiconductors fot diagnistic instruments, and polystyrene coolers for organ transplants. Common salt is the basic of intravenous saline solutions.

No! Sugar is a rip-off. :D

I come from what seems to be the less traveled part of the spectrum of sweet fanaticism. That is. It's kinda rare for me to indulge in sweets. So much so that I find people regularly insist that I have some. As if in some strange way they needed me to share in their indulgence so that they wouldn't feel so bad about doing it themselves. Sugar is the real rip-off. It's nutritionally sparse but high in calories. It's low nutritional value might be the cause of over-indulgence. If your body is desperate for certain nutritional values what else can it do but keep eating in a frantic attempt to acquire those much needed nutrients. It doesn't think or rationalize. It just functions. And in this regard that function is... I'm hungry! I need *insert nutrient*! If someone eats a donut, their body is gonna think, "Nope! Not what I'm looking for. Keep eating!"

So although our taste buds and sensibilities may say Splenda is a rip-off. Our bodies know what the real rip-off is. It's what brought us to Splenda in the first place. That said... When you read about the what's and why's of appetite and cravings it's easier to indulge less often in exchange for quality foods. Sure! Have some sugar but not so much. A bit in your morning coffee and maybe a small desert after dinner. That's it! Sugar in excess is a poison too.

Of course. This is coming from someone who considers eating a burden and an inconvenience, lol.

• Like! 1

Of course. This is coming from someone who considers eating a burden and an inconvenience, lol.

SAY WHAT? eating is no burden. eating something worthwhile that is loaded with goodness and cooking it yourself is way better than most other things people do...

even if people have different tastes and likes/dislikes everyone needs to eat. just eat healthy, rather use honey than sugar is what I will recommend.

Delta!

• Like! 1