Chance to Disarm - What is it?

Just as the thread title says, I can't figure out what "Chance to Disarm" in Sacred 2 means. It doesn't show up on any items as a modifier, by my count only 4 CA's can cause it:

• Soul Hammer - "chance to dislodge the weapon from the opponent's hand"
  • Baneful Smite - "opponent temporarily loses his weapon"
  • Raving Thrust - "adds a chance to disarm opponents when they are knocked back"
  • Tornado - "chance to disarm the opponent for a few seconds."

The spell token looks like this:

{"et_chance_disarm", 187 }) -- 187 = bb_chance_disarm

Sacred 2 isn't a game where the enemies are actually wearing what they drop (like Titan Quest). However I remember that in Sacred 1, Disarm could cause enemies to drop what they are wearing (stuff you wouldn't normally get as drops, you would only get it if you disarmed them).

So does it work like Sacred 1, where enemies are actually wielding their own weapons and armor and you can make them drop it? Can you pick the weapon up or is it just "gone" from the enemy's hand? Do they continue to attack bare-handed? And does this mean it would only work on enemies with weapons, and not on any of the many monsters and animals?

The fact that some of the descriptions say "temporarily" and "for a few seconds" makes me think it's not like Sacred 1, that it might just be brief debuff of some kind.

There's nothing on the wiki about it (except for the Sacred 1 definition) and only a few cursory mentions on the forums....very mysterious.

• Like! 1

Well it may be broken but it wasn't discarded. You may be thinking of "Chance to Dismount Opponent."

Disarm is implemented in the game as far as I can tell... at least it has text descriptions and there are 4 combat arts that have modifications you buy that should cause this effect. I may have to just start testing it and see what happens.

Who knows, it may turn out to be like Sacred 1 after all. I remember it could only be caused by like one Combat Art (Whirlwind I think) and no one really paid any attention to it until someone noticed it was making enemies drop rare set items!

Chance to Disarm with Baneful Smite is a very fun CA to use. It makes it so that the enemy is not visibly holding any kind of weapon and the incoming damage is far less than it was before they were disarmed. I have no other research to back this up, but I'd be very interested to see what's going on behind the scenes here :)

• Like! 1

the chance to dismount that flix mentioned was removed I believe. unless I'm remembering D3 or something. enemies were instead just damaged. I'm not entirely certain though. I just remember reading a patch about dismount being removed. I can't remember for what game now that I think about it.

• Like! 1

I'm not sure if things have changed in the newer PC versions, but on the console version:

• Chance to Disarm functions exactly as Ryan stated. When the opponent is disarmed, their weapon disappears (thus, only applies to enemies who are carrying weapons, such as the Katana-Wielding Temple Guardians). In the case of the enemy TGs, their attack animation changed to a bare-fisted animation. I can only assume that they did less damage (I wasn't paying attention, I just noticed that TGs were punching instead). I'm pretty sure I've seen "Chance to Disarm" as a weapon modifier in the console version, but never on armor.
  • I recall Chance to Dismount being removed from the PC version, but works in the console version. All that it does is dismount a mounted enemy, causing the former mount to become a separate enemy. For example, if "chance to dismount" is triggered on a Kobold riding a boar, the Kobold will fall off (much like a playable character dismounts) and the boar will become another enemy. I don't have the hard numbers to back this up, but I'm pretty sure that it's "easier" to kill the separated enemies (as in, it requires less overall strikes). Whether the mounted enemy has an HP or an armor bonus, I'm not sure.
Edited by Mystix123
  • Like! 1

Thank you Mystix. That's about what I had thought about Disarm by this point. Very unimpressive, at least compared to S1. If I ever see it as an item modifier I'll make a page for it on the Wiki.

Interesting info about the Dismount ability. I'm always finding out more and more things that existed in previous versions of the game and then just vanished later on.

There are boar-riding monsters in Titan Quest as well. You can't dismount them, but some modders were able to make it so when you killed them, only the rider died, and the mount lived on and continuted attacking you. It was quite a shock the first time I encountered them, thinking I had cleaned up the mob, only to be hit by raging boars. It would be cool if something like that could be done for Sacred 2.