300: The Movie!

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

Wow, check out this trailer!

It's a movievification of the Frank Miller's graphic novel of the 300 Spartans who fought a legendary battle against the one million army who attempted to invade. Apparently this was the spearhead for Democracy.

The movie is a mix of sumptuous fantasy backgrounds, great action scenes, beautiful palette and story.

Definitley not one to be missed

Click here for exciting movie link

Go Sparta

Rawr!

:Just_Cuz_21:

gogo

OMG Gogo....Thanks so much for posting alinky to this filum it looks absolutely beautiful! The backgrounds are as you say so sumptuous! I would love to read the book now! Wow it looks amazing! I have marked this up on the calendar alrwady and I'll be looking out for this when it hits the cinema's here!

:cow_white::hugs::)

So far this is for me the movie of 2007 that I will go and see!

The second trailer is awesome! but GoGo said something to me on msn about the physicality int he first trailer and combined OMG it is awesome it looks such an amazing blend of fantasy & action!

:cow_white: for both of you!!

Claire :)

I dont like it. Dont get me wrong it looks great and all but I think it will be a nother movie that will be a Rambo still and have nothing to do with real history. Not that I have any love for greeks but the historical Battle of Thermopylae were an army lead by the war king of Sparta Leonidas fought and died bravely.

Here is a link to some history info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonidas_I

P.S.:Greece had democracy long before this Gogo

P.S.S.: I dont know why this days they make stupid versions of movies and events that have allready happend. The made a realy bad movie about Alexander the Great and now this. Here is the old movie that you should see before this on comes out it is from 1962. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055719/

Take a look at the second link in my post Gogo. To the old movie on this.

I really hated the scene in the trailer were there was battle rhino. Come on the Persians didnt have battle Elephant but battle rhino there has been none ever anywere :ike:

As a side note, although Democracy flourished during a rather brief period in Greece, the Spartans were certainly not a part of it. The Athenians and Spartans were in conflict for control over the Peloponnesus peninsula with the Spartans having an autocratic government with three leaders and a VERY structured society, and the Athenians having a more or less democratic society.

They put aside their differences when the Persians, under Xerxes, attacked Greece with between 250,000 and 450,000 men and a large fleet. The fleet spanked the Athenian fleet and the Persians landed North of the main Greek cities. The Greek army, lead by King Leonides of Sparta, numbered less that 10,000 men and held a narrow pass at Thermopylae. The Greek army was far more heavily armored than even the heavy infantry of the Persians. Their goal was to delay the Persians as long as possible.

The Persians setup camp and expected the Greeks to flee, and were unnerved by the Spartan soldiers especially, who calmly went about their morning tasks with no signs of fear or trepidation. Eventually, Xerxes sent a wave of soldiers to rout the Greeks. However, with their heavier armor and superior tactics and training, as well as the advantages of holding a narrow pass with a wall, the Greeks slaughtered the attacking Persians, inflicting more than 10,000 casualties.

The following day, Xerxes sent in The Immortals, his finest troops, who were more heavily armored than their comrads, but still not as heavily armored as the Greeks. The Greeks routed the Immortals and put Xerxes into a difficult position. Due to the size of his army, he could not remain long in one place. However, having a small army bitch-slap his best soldiers was something less than a morale booster.

A Greek villager approached Xerxes and told him of a path through the mountains (of which there were many), which came out behind the Greek lines. When the Greeks discovered that they were about to be cut off, Leonides ordered the army to retreat and kept the Spartans (300) and approximately 700 Greek volunteers (mostly from Thebes I think) to act as a rearguard to protect the retreat. The remaining Greeks fought visciously but slowly were pushed back and killed. The Spartans held a small hill by forming a circle and keeping the enemy at bay. It is said that King Leonides was killed outside of the ring of Spartans and that a group of Spartans formed a wedge and drove through the Persians and recovered the body of their King, which they dragged back to the hill. The Persians refused to close with the Spartans and eventually killed them to a man with spears and arrows.

Although the Persians defeated the Greeks and took the field, it was demoralizing to the Persian army, which took a huge number of casualties and were not hot on the idea of meeting any more Spartans. The Athenians rebuilt their fleet and later destroyed the Persian fleet. Meanwhile, Xerxes returned to Persia with the bulk of his soldiers, with the remainder later being defeated by the Greeks (at Marathon I think).

Guest gogoblender

A wicked story ike!

lol, I forgot how fun history can be.

Course, when I go into this movie, I'll try and suspend everything I have been taught, just so I can get a fresh imprint of this movie's message.

Maybe it's not even about history?

But a Fantastical take on it?

Tabula Rasa to the rescue!

lol, I seem to be good at that

:BlobRed:

gogo

Guest gogoblender

awwwwww

lol, your history degree put a smile on our faces, and is excellent backgrounder info! I know that as we accrue more and more and more "facts" though, it's easier to walk into stuff like books and movies and have expectations which can let us down.

One of the tuffest jobs in my life lately has been learning how to reset the board so I can see, read, and "understand" more of what any unique message is as interpreted by the artists and then conveyed to us.

Let's me walk out with more smilies when walking out of movies based on novels I've loved so much and have read before the movie.

:BlobRed:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...
hey..it's a movie...

Don't everything on the big screen have a touch of "creativity" in it?

:P

gogo

Gogo there were never battle rhinos in human history it is not LOTR.