Major PC upgrade.

Llama8

Now that I've got a job (& severance pay :D ), I'm thinking of upgrading my PC (subject to the wife's approval 'course). I'd need to get a new:

Motherboard

CPU

GFX card

PSU

RAM (probably)

HD (possibly)

Looking to spend something in the region of ~£300-£400.

So, suggest away...

Edit: Needless to say, I'd be buying the bits & putting it together. And probably re-installing Windows (et al) I suppose. *sigh*

Edit #2: Another option would be for me to wait till after my 6 month probationary period is finished...

Ahh good for you Llama nothing like a new PC.

You should read this topic if you havn't all readly.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3197

It started like a card but it ended with a new PC. :whistle:

I spend some 400euros wich is in your price range and since you can find many parts cheaper you will have better options then me.

On question what is the PCs primery role. Games, work?

I guessed as much Gogo but I still wanted to ask. :whistle:

Then you must be going with PCI base. They are cheaper and have the best perform. wiht that cash you can go for SLI cards and take care of the PC problem for several years.

On question what is the PCs primary role. Games, work?

:D

Yeah, Gogo's got it right...

I would like a DX10 card, but they're a bit pricey atm (I'm not sure of any other DX10 cards other than the Nvidia's 8800 GTS/X). I'd probably prefer that to a pair of cards in SLI, so maybe it'd be a good idea to wait for a bit for some more cards to come out (and give me some time to work on my wife :blink:).

Edit: My only issues with SLI is that, as far as I understand, you need to get a special motherboard (SLI/Crossfire capable), which then ties you in to either Nvidia/ATI.

That is right. but you do have a good choise of high end motherboards.

What I like about SLI is that as you said you can by the besst card now and have a monster game PC and in 6-7 moths by the second one normaly the price on the second card would have droped a lot by then and you will still have a monster game PC.

Edit: My only issues with SLI is that, as far as I understand, you need to get a special motherboard (SLI/Crossfire capable), which then ties you in to either Nvidia/ATI.

Like you said, I also hate different standards. When you purchase your new mother board, you will be tie with the graphic card company. I specially love ATI but it is software driven graphic card. If the drivers and software has problem, you will have a problem. Nvidia is chipset it self driven graphic card. Drivers and software only helps to adjust some settings.

I never had a Nvidia card but probably I will pick Nvidia if I need right now.

• 1 month later...

My currently proposed new pc:

2 Gig of PC5300 ram

250 Gb Maxtor DiamondMax 21 HD

a new 550W PSU (87% efficiency)

probably a Core 2 Duo E6300

320MB 8800 GTS

Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI NF650i SLi

Maxtor is a great hard drive but my brand order will be

seagate --> western digital --> maxtor

make sure you get at least 3 year warranty on hdd.

Edit: Just checked the maxtor page, and seagate already bought the maxtor :tongue:

Guest gogoblender

ya know..it's plain cheaper to just buy an xbox and copy of sacred which will play on it

:whistle:

gogo

p.s. <- jealous cuz llama's getting a new comp

Traitor..

No to the xbox! No to the xbox! No to the xbox! No to the xbox! No to the xbox! No to the xbox!

:drunkards:

~Doom

ya know..it's plain cheaper to just buy an xbox and copy of sacred which will play on it

*snort*

Sure Gogo, I'll get an Xbox, just for you.

Well, for me, but, you know...

• 4 weeks later...

I've just ordered my new pc (the bits will be delivered Thursday am, which is fine 'cause my wife's going to be in Amsterdam Thurs/Fri, so I'll not have anything to do in the evenings after Teddy's gone to bed):

2 Gig ram

Abit Fatal1ty NF650i motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 cpu

320Mb BFG 8800GTS

new HD & psu.

Like Supreme Commander?

Actually, what I need is a monitor that'll go above 1024*768...

Nope that game wont come even close to testing your PC. and it is nothing special I played it. If you need a test then it has to be Warhammer mark of chaose. Great game and it eats PC for breakfast :thumbsup:

It's official, my new pc is faster than my old one...

My old one would barely run Supreme Commander with everything turned down/off/low, now I can run it (or the first mission at least, but that's comparable with my old machine) with (almost) everything turned on/high.

Which is nice.

Ah gratz llama! :P

I'll be jumping on the bandwagon very soon. Possibly tomorrow actually. Woot! I decided a few days ago that papa needs some new hardware so I'll be talking to a supplier down the street from me who builds and sells custom pcs.