Half a Kilo of Crickets please..

The practice of eating insects is called entomophagy.

Most insects are edible.

Apparently there are 1,462 recorded species of edible insects.

And they're quite nutritious.

For instance, 100 grams of cricket contains only 121 calories, less than half of beef.

A cricket contains only 5,5 grams of fat, compared to 21,2g of beef.

Beef contains more protein (23,5g - a cricket 12.9g) but the 100g of cricket also contains 5,1g of carbohydrates, 75,8 mg calcium, 185,3 mg phosphorous, 9,5 mg iron, thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin.

How do I know? Cause somehow I ended up here... Bon Apetite', and I'm weird.

I had some insects when I was at the Entomologial Society of Canada annual meeting in November... they were pretty good actually.

Those of you in Montreal can head over to the Insectarium and try some too :)

Edited by Ankhanu
Guest gogoblender

heh, another nice find anestty, albeit a touch creepy, but interesting nonetheless

My gramma had a few insects here at the place that Ankh's talkin about in montreal. She said the stuffed works were fantastic. And the presentation of the stuffed bees with the wings spread out no crackers were joyous to behold

yeah, thats my gramma...anyway... :rolleyes:

The idea of changing our protein source to insects is pretty incredible actually, especially since if the insects were all all ground and stuff, textured, whatever...would we even really know where the original protein source was being derived from?

Hey...I've tasted some pretty good TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein) that could knock my tastebuds off in a Sheppard's Pie made by this famous company here in montreal called Le Commensal which specializes in delux, tasty and quite expensive eat by the pound vegetarian delights.

Howver...I don' tknow how hot I would have been on my teacher taking us to a field trip to visit the Cockroach farms.

*shudder*

right?

:)

gogo